Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

DoS&B: did you have any trouble picturing the characters?

Sorry that I'm a little late to the discussion!  I wasn't able to finish up DoS&B until this morning and I didn't want to join in yesterday because I didn't want the ending to be spoiled for me! 

Did anyone have trouble picturing the characters?  I feel like I did.  Maybe it's just because they were so magical and different, but I could have used more descriptions/references to the Chimaera's (especially) physical appearance.  Even with Karou's family I found myself going back to the first few pages where the drawings she had made were discussed.  I *almost* felt like I needed an illustration or something!  Although, that would have spoiled what I envisioned on my own... so probably just more visual references to remind me of what each character looked like, and help me form a vision in my head.

Did anyone else find themselves struggling with this?  Or did you feel like the descriptions provided were sufficient?

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
*My Blog*
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
10/50 Read

my read shelf:
Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: DoS&B: did you have any trouble picturing the characters?

• I don't do well with fantasy, so I don't know that I pictured the Chimera characters the way I was supposed to.

Something about Madrigal's description had me picturing her like Aussie singer Kimbra. I think this mental picture is why I ended up loving Madrigal so much.

image image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yes, I had difficulties especially with characters that weren't partly human or didn't have human faces. I could never remember what animals I was supposed to be picturing in my head. I ended up giving them human faces in my head. Also, Issa? I knew she was part snake but I could never remember what the other parts of her were.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
    my read shelf:
    Christina Frey's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • image ctinaleigh:
    Yes, I had difficulties especially with characters that weren't partly human or didn't have human faces. I could never remember what animals I was supposed to be picturing in my head. I ended up giving them human faces in my head. Also, Issa? I knew she was part snake but I could never remember what the other parts of her were.

Me too.

As far as Issa, because I kept going back to the original description of Karou's drawings, I believe she was supposed to have a snake bottom half and human upper?  I know she had human breasts because they were mentioned a few times in all their glory ;)

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • And also, I think part of my trouble was, because regardless of their physical appearance, the Chimaera has human personalities I had trouble picturing them as anything other than human.  It's like I had to keep reminding myself to picture them as they were supposed to be.  I do feel like I had a pretty good grip on Madrigal (sp?), but I struggled with pretty much everyone else.  Especially Madrigal's "sister"... what was her name?  I know it started with a C, but it's eluding me right now!  Sorry, I don't have the book in front of me.
    *My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • I don't normally have issues with picturing characters, but in this book I did. I don't know if it's because I listened to it or because they were such a mash up of animal characteristics. A illustrated version of the book would have been awesome!
  • Like others, I definitely had trouble picturing them. 

In my head, most of the chimaera were basically human with a few animal characteristics, even though I know that's not how they were described.  Brimstone, in particular, is described as only having arms and trunk that are human (and even those are very animal-like), but in my head he was a linebacker with goat horns. 

The rest of the author's descriptions are so vivid, I wonder if this is an area she "should" have done a better job on, or if it was intentional.  Karou grew up around them, after all, so she doesn't think of them as particularly strange.  Since we're seeing the book through her eyes, maybe the author intentionally left the descriptions vague?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • image sbevmc09:
    And also, I think part of my trouble was, because regardless of their physical appearance, the Chimaera has human personalities I had trouble picturing them as anything other than human.  It's like I had to keep reminding myself to picture them as they were supposed to be.  I do feel like I had a pretty good grip on Madrigal (sp?), but I struggled with pretty much everyone else.  Especially Madrigal's "sister"... what was her name?  I know it started with a C, but it's eluding me right now!  Sorry, I don't have the book in front of me.

Her sister was Chiro. I agree that the ones without human faces were harder to picture. 

I actually drew some of them with bath crayons while Archer was taking a bath to imagine what they looked like.I made little scorpion mice and the evangelines with wings. I'm such a dork.  

image image
  • image j*&p*:
    Her sister was Chiro.

Yes!  Thank you!  It was right. there. but I just couldn't think of it!  

The thought did cross my mind to try to sketch them out.  It was really hard to envision some of the combinations! 

The more I think about it, the more I think this book would work with some pictures to go with the story.  After all, Karou is an artist, Taylor could have given us a peek into her sketchbooks to help with the physical aspects of the characters.  Typically, I hate anything that ruins my vision of something from a book's description, but in this instance I think some pictures/sketches could have really helped.

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf:
  • I kept thinking while I was reading that this book would inspire some really cool fan art. 

Here's a fun picture that Laini's husband (he's an artist) did of Laini and her daughter as Chimaera that she posted on her blog a while back:

http://www.lainitaylor.com/2011/12/im-chimaera.html 

image image
  • There's also a cool book trailer out there that features Karou's sketches. I would try to find it, but everything is blocked for me. Bah.
    image image image
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Y_L -- are these the trailers you've seen?

http://www.lainitaylor.com/p/books.html

Sorry, can't make it clicky on my iPad.

Those are fascinating -- I think they're exactly like the descriptions in the book, I just couldnt quite picture them on my own. Brimstone and Yasri (briefly visible in the Zuzana one) are much more animal-like than I was able to see them in my mind.

I've never seen trailers for a book before. I wonder what the story is on those? I'm guessing her husband drew the illustrations if he's an artist. Very cool.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image
  • image j*&p*:
    Here's a fun picture that Laini's husband (he's an artist) did of Laini and her daughter as Chimaera that she posted on her blog a while back:

http://www.lainitaylor.com/2011/12/im-chimaera.html 

This is really cool, and beautiful!  

The trailers were definitely helpful!  I wish I had seen these before I read the book.  Thanks for sharing them!

*My Blog*

10/50 Read

my read shelf: