Baltimore Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Looking to move to Maryland

Hello,

My name is Stephanie and my husband and I are looking to move to Maryland what are some nice towns to live in? Close to good schools, retail shopping centers, restaurants etc.. Thank you for any input

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/5vvsc9.jpg[/IMG]

Re: Looking to move to Maryland

• There are people on this board who live near Annapolis, northern Baltimore, Howard County, and various other areas.  Can you narrow your search or are you really open to moving anywhere in MD?

Not trying to be an a$$, but there are people from all over on this board and to really help, we need a bit more info :)
    Visit The Nest!
  • I'm not sure how close to Baltimore you want to be.....I live in Anne Arundel County (south of the city) and we like it here a lot. Annapolis is great for shopping and dining etc. Do you guys know what area you will be working in?

Columbia/Ellicott city is also nice, convenient to everything, good schools.

I grew up in harford county and it was nothing but cornfields back then but these days its a lot more built up and they have everything there now.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We are pretty open to anything, we currently live in NJ and looking to GET OUT! We would want to secure a job first as well as visit areas before actually moving there. Were not planning on making the move probably for another year or so, but I'm a planner so I like having all of my information together. Thanks again for the feedback :)
    [IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/5vvsc9.jpg[/IMG]
  • Columbia and Ellicott City are centrally located, have great schools (Howard County), and lots of shopping and restaurants. The COL is high though.

Where will you be working? Commuting in MD can be rough traffic-wise so definitely consider that!

And Welcome :)

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w -- BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w -- BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d -- BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    BabyFruit Ticker

Decorate This
  • image soon2bcallygrl:
    We are pretty open to anything, we currently live in NJ and looking to GET OUT! We would want to secure a job first as well as visit areas before actually moving there. Were not planning on making the move probably for another year or so, but I'm a planner so I like having all of my information together. Thanks again for the feedback :)

Well that opens the door to a ton of places. I live in Annapolis now, and have lived in Piney Orchard before. I grew up in Montgomery County, so if you are looking for good schools, I can recommend there. Check out the DC board for more ppl who live out that way. I don't have kids, so I can't comment on other area school systems.

I loved living in the Odenton/Crofton (like mrsremy) area because you are close to all types of things including DC/Baltimore/ Annapolis.

I would start researching jobs b/c like NJ, commuting is a PITA. I drive 30miles to work and it takes me about an hour.

Good luck with everything!

Visit The Nest!
  • I live in Crofton, like some PPs, and I love it. We moved into an apartment in Crofton in October 2010 to house-hunt and looked everywhere from Annapolis to Upper Marlboro to Severn to Elkridge and ended up buying across the street from our apartment.

However, it really, really depends on where you are working. I would never want to live in Crofton and commute to DC or the Bethesda/Silver Spring area (though I know some people here do, I think they must be patient saints). 
  • image misscastle:

However, it really, really depends on where you are working. I would never want to live in Crofton and commute to DC or the Bethesda/Silver Spring area (though I know some people here do, I think they must be patient saints). 

Just a side note: Commuting to DC isn't that bad from this area, but definitely don't work in Bethesda/ NoVa or Silver Spring and live in this area. 

Visit The Nest!
  • image summer08bride:

image misscastle:

Just a side note: Commuting to DC isn't that bad from this area, but definitely don't work in Bethesda/ NoVa or Silver Spring and live in this area. 

I was specifically thinking of you when I wrote that! I still think you're a patient saint, not sure I could handle it. I'm quite fond of my reverse-traffic commute to Annapolis :-) 
  • What are you looking for in an area? More coastal small town, rural, true suburbs, city? Closeness to city? Mountains? Personal interests?
  • image misscastle:
    image summer08bride:

image misscastle:

I was specifically thinking of you when I wrote that! I still think you're a patient saint, not sure I could handle it. I'm quite fond of my reverse-traffic commute to Annapolis :-) 

:)  Yes, a reverse commute would be  amazing!!  It's not the easiest but it's not impossible. 

Visit The Nest!