Decorating & Renovating

ceiling paint?

How do I know what color/finish to get if I just want to touch up some spots on my ceiling? The color is white, but I don't think it's "stark white" out of the can, it may be slightly off white. I was painting my walls and accidentally got a few spots on the ceiling -- I used tape, but still made a couple bad swipes with the roller. :/ I don't really want to paint the whole ceiling...  Should I attempt to take pictures and bring them with me to the store? Any ideas would be great. 
Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
Pomegranate Margarita

Re: ceiling paint?

• I'd like to know the answer to this, too!  

FWIW I did this same thing in our last house and ended up having to paint the entire ceiling because color matching just didn't work :(.  

BFP #1: 3/20/10, EDD 11/22/12, DD born: 11/20/12
    BFP #2: 8/26/12, EDD 5/3/12, M/C 9/4/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Living Simple Blog
  • Some people will just use ceiling paint from their local store.  Unfortunately ceiling paint is not exactly the same from brand to brand.  Unless you know what brand they used, you usually end up painting the whole ceiling. 
  • thanks -- maybe I'll try this route first. The previous owners left some of the primer they used for the basement, I can only hope it's the same brand as whatever they used to paint the upstairs white. Everything was freshly painted before we bought the house, but just flat white/off-white. I guess if I have to do all the ceilings over again that's what I'll have to do. :(
    Nov 2011 Brides - Fav Cocktail
    Pomegranate Margarita
  • You better try the paint you have. When we repaint the walls husband literally cut a piece of dry paint on the wall and brought it to the store where they match the color, but we didn't have anything left.