Decorating & Renovating
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Spare room opinions

We just moved to a home with an extra bedroom, which in the next few years will become a nursery.  In the meantime, I would like it to be a functional room for us, so I wondered what I should do:

Option 1: Use our existing futon (not the old style kind, one that looks like an actual couch) to save space and for the occasional (maybe once or twice a year) guests.  The futon said it folded out into a double bed, but it's probably a little smaller that that.  My parents said they could put the futon in their basement rec room when we don't need it anymore.  It would take up less space in the room overall.

Option 2: Get rid of the futon and put a double bed in the room (more comfortable for guests).  We have the space for it to fit (a treadmill and night stand are the only other two things in the room), but what would we do with this bed when we don't need it any longer?  

Other options? 

WWD&RD? 

BFP #1: 3/20/10, EDD 11/22/12, DD born: 11/20/12
BFP #2: 8/26/12, EDD 5/3/12, M/C 9/4/12
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Living Simple Blog

Re: Spare room opinions

•  If you went with a double bed in the spare room, could that be bumped over to your DD's room to be her new big girl bed when it's time for a new LO?  I'm guessing based on the "in the next few years" and your ticker that the timing would work out pretty well. 

I know a double is a big bed for a little girl, but I had a big bed when I was little and I LOOOOOVED it so it doesn't seem totally crazy to me.  Lots of room for all my stuffed animals and sleepovers and bouncing.  :)

• If I were buying a mattress specifically for a guest room, I would get a queen.  I can't imagine two people sleeping comfortably in a full and we never seem to have just one guest...it's usually a couple.  I'd keep the futon for now.  
  • I thought about that, but she is getting her big girl bed later this year, so then I would have that extra bed once we had another nursery.  We were planning on getting her a twin with a trundle since her room is 11x13 so that she would still have a lot of play space, but still have an extra bed for sleepovers. 

I guess I'm just torn on what to do.   

Living Simple Blog
  • The futon doesn't sound all that comfortable - especially if it's not even quite a double bed.  Plus, I'm often not a fan of lugging furniture up a staircase when I know it's only there temporarily.  So I don't really love option 1.  I'd rather make it the treadmill room and just have an aerobed or something for guests if you don't have guests all that frequently.

• image Susie Derkins:

The futon doesn't sound all that comfortable - especially if it's not even quite a double bed.  Plus, I'm often not a fan of lugging furniture up a staircase when I know it's only there temporarily.  So I don't really love option 1.  I'd rather make it the treadmill room and just have an aerobed or something for guests if you don't have guests all that frequently.

this is another good option.   Especially if you spring for one of the fancy full height aerobeds or the kind with a frame.  My brother has one of these:

[Anywhere] 

and I wouldn't wnat to spend a week in it, but I was perfectly comfy for a long weekend.

• Option 1. If you don't have regular visitors there's no point in wasting a whole room on them. Futons can be comfortable. Our spare rooms are dh's mancave/computer room and my dressing room. It's so nice to have that extra space for my clothes.
    My favorite place on earth: The Amargosa Valley.
  • image wawajeanne:
    image Susie Derkins:

The futon doesn't sound all that comfortable - especially if it's not even quite a double bed.  Plus, I'm often not a fan of lugging furniture up a staircase when I know it's only there temporarily.  So I don't really love option 1.  I'd rather make it the treadmill room and just have an aerobed or something for guests if you don't have guests all that frequently.

this is another good option.   Especially if you spring for one of the fancy full height aerobeds or the kind with a frame.  My brother has one of these:

[Anywhere] 

and I wouldn't wnat to spend a week in it, but I was perfectly comfy for a long weekend.

This looks promising!  Thanks!! 

Living Simple Blog