Married Life

cough medicine with morphine?

anyone ever have this? I do not, I'm just curious about a friend's use.
SO SINGS MY SOUL *WHAM!* MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!*

Re: cough medicine with morphine?

• Is your friend a cancer patient?
    Whenever I hear Chesh's IRL name I think "Scissor" --MontereyBride
  • Never heard of it. Is that a real thing? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's prescription; she's got some sort of bronchitis. She's been taking it for two weeks, and her dh is telling me he is taking some of it too, since he has a cough as well now.

It seems not possible to me that you could get a morphine cough syrup.

SO SINGS MY SOUL *WHAM!* MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!*
  • LOL, it's probably Tussionex or something and she just thinks it's morphine.
  • It would not be unlike her to be overdramatizing the nature of the medicine and its effect on her. I just never heard of cough medicine with morphine given for mild coughs. she is still going to work each day, and then takes this stuff at night and crashes.

Her dh is also pretty dramatic about it all. I'm just trying to figure the deal, it's so odd.

• Oh, it's possible.  One time, I chugged a bunch because I thought it was just regular cough syrup.  It turns out that the recommended dosage is really small. I seriously had an out of body experience.  I now understand the allure of sizzurup. Just saying.
    image Zombie apocalypse? I got this!
  • I really don't think there are any cough medicines that contain morphine, at least not in the US. I have never encountered one. It's probably either codeine or hydrocodone, and she either doesn't know the difference or just thinks morphine sounds better.
  • But can't morphine (as well as other opiates) be used as a cough suppressant? I know codine is usually what is presecribed in cough syrups.

• image justkly:

But can't morphine (as well as other opiates) be used as a cough suppressant? I know codine is usually what is presecribed in cough syrups.

Sure, it CAN. But it isn't. It would be like using a flamethrower to light a cigarette.

• @ Cheshire, I'm curious now though and I know you are knowledgable.  I just finished taking my pharmacology for nursing so I thought that it was sometimes used in cough syrup as a cough/diarrhea suppressant.?.

• image CheshireGrin:
    image justkly:

But can't morphine (as well as other opiates) be used as a cough suppressant? I know codine is usually what is presecribed in cough syrups.

Sure, it CAN. But it isn't. It would be like using a flamethrower to light a cigarette.

Oh, Ok. Thank's for the info. So scratch what I said. I guess it's codeine that I accidentally loved. lol.

• image justkly:

@ Cheshire, I'm curious now though and I know you are knowledgable.  I just finished taking my pharmacology for nursing so I thought that it was sometimes used in cough syrup as a cough/diarrhea suppressant.?.

Stupid Nest ate my last answer.

Opiates, sure. But not morphine, and certainly not for a common bronchitis.

Morphine is frequently used for respiratory distress in end of life care, but that's a different ballpark entirely.

Tincture of opium can be used as an anti-diarrheal, but it's not a first-line treatment by any means. Usually only used for chronic issues that haven't responded to other treatment.

• this is terrible, but my first thought was, "yes, I'll have some!" lol
  • I seriously doubt that exists.  I was coughing so bad from bronchitis once that I burst blood vessels in my face and broke a rib, the strongest medicine they gave me was cough syrup with hyrdocodone and tessalon pearls, along with a muscle relaxant.  I was curious and did a google search, the only cough syrup with morphine that came up was a remedy from the 1800,s.
  • Narcotics are the only really effective cough suppressants.  Cough syrup with codeine used to be OTC way back in the day.
  • image dirtyred:
    Narcotics are the only really effective cough suppressants.  Cough syrup with codeine used to be OTC way back in the day.

Cough syrup with codeine is still available OTC in quite a few states.  I think you would consider it behind the counter, you have to ask the pharmacist for it and it is not available in every state or every pharmacy.  It is also up to the pharmacist whether or not they sell it, you generally can't get it at chains, but they do sell it at quite a few local pharmacies.  I learned this when I was suffering from chronic bronchitis and didn't have health insurance, my doctor suggested I try that until I got my health insurance stuff worked out. The sale is regulated and reported to the DEA.

• I could go for some of that right now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • There's no way you could function on a cough syrup with morphine and work. I had the robitussin/codeine suspension when I had pneumonia/bronchitis. It was awesome when I had to neb myself every 3 hours as well. High as a kite I was.
    Once upon a time, boy met girl...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm thinking she's taking Tussionex... its hydrocodone and not morphine.  Its strong stuff though that I can only take at night.  They also will generally only Rx 2oz of it at a time.. so if the H is "sharing" her bottle (if I read that right) then it ain't gonna last long....

Awesome sleep and crazy dreams with it though.... 

• image justkly:
    Oh, it's possible.  One time, I chugged a bunch because I thought it was just regular cough syrup.  It turns out that the recommended dosage is really small. I seriously had an out of body experience.  I now understand the allure of sizzurup. Just saying.

I think the recommended dosage is about the same as regular cough syrup, actually.

Husbands should be like Kleenex: Soft, strong, and disposable.
  • image MyOrdinaryLife:
    I seriously doubt that exists.  I was coughing so bad from bronchitis once that I burst blood vessels in my face and broke a rib, the strongest medicine they gave me was cough syrup with hyrdocodone and tessalon pearls, along with a muscle relaxant.  I was curious and did a google search, the only cough syrup with morphine that came up was a remedy from the 1800,s.

The cough syrup with Vicoden surprised me when I picked up the prescription at the pharmacy but it worked.  I doubt the morphine though.

Tincture of opium is used to treat salmonella poisoning.  Pray you never get it.

• I've only, regrettably, had the cough medicine with codeine.  I didn't know that they even make cough medicine with MORPHINE.  That seems really severe... like you better be dying of TB to be prescribed that.
    Currently Reading: Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes
  • image eso?eric:
    this is terrible, but my first thought was, "yes, I'll have some!" lol

Me tooooo. 

• Apparently your friend doesn't know the difference between codeine/hydrocodone (aka Vicodin) and Morphine.  It'll especially make me laugh if it's actually codeine and not even hydrocodone.