Politics & Current Events

Why do people shovel their driveways before it stops snowing??

2»

Re: Why do people shovel their driveways before it stops snowing??

• Some of us have to go out in the morning.  

I would rather shovel a 1/2 now and 1/2 tomorrow morning.  Snow is heavy!  

Plus, *crosses fingers* hopefully the snow plows will be out late tonight and take the pile I put out before the morning.   

• image MrsAxilla:
    image Rock_Lobster:
    image MrsAxilla:
    image ButternutSquash:

image grahamsm3:
    shoveling 8 in. now is easier than shoveling 22 inches later.

This. 

Hmm.  Ok, I guess I buy that (can you tell I'm not the one in our house who shovels?)

How do you explain the neighbors with snowblowers, then?

Same thing. Do you realize how bogged down a snowblower can get going through that much snow? It's much easier to do it incrementally. Did you grow up somewhere without snow? 

Lol - yes, Vegas. 

Now I feel silly.  Am I allowed to DD out of shame? Embarrassed

I am having a tough time not lol'ing at this thread.  Having lived with snow my whole life (and had to shovel), I thought this was question with such an obvious answer.

And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this Rock I will build my Church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.
  • I don't think there is one right answer. If you are fortunate enough to have a snow blower or thrower and/or live in a higher elevation where the snow usually is dryer and lighter, then you might be able to wait until the storm is done. If you are shoveling by hand and live where the snow is the really heavy, wet stuff, then it might make sense to shovel part way through the storm, especially if you are doing it by hand.

Last year I had to shovel every one of those blizzards by hand because H traveled so much and wasn't home for any of them. You can be damn sure I learned quickly that clearing half of it early on was better for my back.  

• My husband shovels often to get out of the house.  Being stuck in the house w/ me for any extended period of time gets to be too much. 8) 

Thanks for the updates about the conditions in Colorado!  We have relatives in Fort Collins and were wondering if they were OK. 

• image FlashMeyer:
    image Rock_Lobster:
    image MrsAxilla:
    image ButternutSquash:

image grahamsm3:
    shoveling 8 in. now is easier than shoveling 22 inches later.

This. 

Hmm.  Ok, I guess I buy that (can you tell I'm not the one in our house who shovels?)

How do you explain the neighbors with snowblowers, then?

Same thing. Do you realize how bogged down a snowblower can get going through that much snow? It's much easier to do it incrementally. Did you grow up somewhere without snow? 

LOL. Are you new is snow??

Haha, really.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image is_it_over_yet?:

I don't think there is one right answer. If you are fortunate enough to have a snow blower or thrower and/or live in a higher elevation where the snow usually is dryer and lighter, then you might be able to wait until the storm is done. If you are shoveling by hand and live where the snow is the really heavy, wet stuff, then it might make sense to shovel part way through the storm, especially if you are doing it by hand.

Last year I had to shovel every one of those blizzards by hand because H traveled so much and wasn't home for any of them. You can be damn sure I learned quickly that clearing half of it early on was better for my back.  

This is key.  We don't have one, so it's up to us.

And so I say to you, you are Peter, and upon this Rock I will build my Church, and the gates of Hell shall not prevail against it.
  • image Emmybean:

You should only shovel once. Even a snowblower can do multiple pass-thrus if it's that deep. 

Except that if it is that much, you often need to cut back the snowbanks to allow for it so that the piles don't get so high that, say, you can't see around as you are pulling out of your driveway.

Signed, Former Snowbank Stomper

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I quite enjoy shovelling snow - but living in NC means that I have the option to enjoy it as it isn't a regular daily occurrence, even in winter. Its more like a few times a year, every few years. 

• It is easier to remove less snow at a time.

If you have to use the driveway, driving on the snow packs it down hard and makes it much more difficult to clear the surface later.

Depending on the conditions - the first layer can freeze if you do not remove it.

Some people like to use their snowblowers or enjoy the exercise of shoveling.

I live where the snow does not melt, but stays  (I have 4-6 foot snowbanks in my yard now) .  We are required to have our sidewalks clear for walking within 24 hours.

Why do you care what other people do?

• image Reeve:

I quite enjoy shovelling snow - but living in NC means that I have the option to enjoy it as it isn't a regular daily occurrence, even in winter. Its more like a few times a year, every few years. 

I enjoy it as well, since I love a good workout, and especially in the cold air. Unfortunately last year was just too much of a good thing and my back told me all about for weeks.  The movement required to bend, lift something heavy, twist, and throw is actually really bad for the body.  

• If you need to be somewhere early in the morning it is much easier to shovel what has accumulated at night.  That way in the morning when you are busy trying to leave you only have to shovel a few inches and not a foot.
  • My old roomie and I got lazy two years ago when we had a ton of snow in DC.  That night we got about 18 or 20 inches... we didn't bother shoveling until the next morning.  It took us HOURS to shovel out, and we just had to go from the front door to the sidewalk, then do part of the sidewalk and our cars.  It had to have taken us at least 6 hours.  We both grew up in the snowbelt of NY (near Buffalo), so we knew better than to wait.

A little early, and often, is SO MUCH EASIER than waiting til it's over. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker

VOTE on my Name List

• Do people who grow up without snow think its light as a feather? Snow is water. Water is heavy! The longer you leave it the heavier it gets. If you leave it over night it will freeze on the top and/or bottom. Its stupid to not take care of it as soon as you can. 

But still I totally sideye any woman who is too good to lift a finger when it comes to snow. You can't even clean off your cars or sweep off the front porch?

Confused

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • image Emmybean:

You should only shovel once. Even a snowblower can do multiple pass-thrus if it's that deep. 

Nothing is more retarded than shoveling while it's still dumping snow. Especially at night.  On a Friday.  

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Having lived for several years in both Wisconsin and Colorado, I'm going to go out on a snow-packed limb to declare people who don't get the logic behind incremental snow removal aren't responsible for their own snow shoveling. Andplusalso... Snow plow drifts at the end of the driveway. Let that *** accumulate and it turns into a wall of icy brick instead of fluffy snow.
    ChallengeAcceptedMeme_TwoParty
  • I've been in Denver for 11 years, and the secret we don't like to share is that we really don't get that much snow. This was a record snowfall for February. Plus, the inch or two we usually get melts super fast when the beautiful Colorado sun come out (we have more sunny days than Miami!) But I'm seeing the wisdom of shoveling during a blizzard. This morning, all my neighbors' driveways are clear, and mine is still covered by a foot of snow! Boo!
    Anything you can achieve through hard work, you could also just buy.
  • image DruidPrincess:
    Having lived for several years in both Wisconsin and Colorado, I'm going to go out on a snow-packed limb to declare people who don't get the logic behind incremental snow removal aren't responsible for their own snow shoveling. Andplusalso... Snow plow drifts at the end of the driveway. Let that sh!t accumulate and it turns into a wall of icy brick instead of fluffy snow.

Seriously.  That's usually when I start spewng four letter words. 

• My friend shoveled half his driveway yesterday before being told he didn't have to go to work.
  • image Sibil:
    My friend shoveled half his driveway yesterday before being told he didn't have to go to work.

Cool story bro! 

2»