Oklahoma Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I guess I need a new project...

I am just starting to research builders.  We are not building anytime soon (up to 5 years off) but it will probably take me forever to find one I am happy with. 

We are planning to build our forever home so tell me what builder you drool over.  :)   They need to be in the OKC area 'cause this girl isn't moving too far.

Also, I will take names of builders who you would never use and a reason or two as well.  :)   

Re: I guess I need a new project...

• I'm pretty sure you know who built mine. Loved him--he worked with me very closely on everything and was awesome about cost estimates and budgeting enough for everything.  He's building a 5000+ sq ft house right now in Magnolia...go look!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We are a few weeks out from our house being done. I highly recommend j.hill Homes. Our home building process has been excellent. There were a few bumps in the road at the very beginning, but once we got on the same page about things everything has gone great. He has been so lenient on throwing in extras. I think his standard home is better than the other builders in our area, plus he's gone above and beyond the standard for our house and we've only paid an extra $250 over the budget. I just loved coming in to find upgraded appliances just because he thought they'd look better. Or letting me have the woodwork guys put every extra little detail here and there and not charging me a penny extra just because he knew it would look fantastic. Another thing I love is that he custom builds his cabinets in the house. They aren't pre-made in a factory. I was there daily making little changes as they built the cabinents right in front of me. I can also contact him at any time. If he misses my call, he'll return it within 30 minutes. I really appreciate that.  I'll be an AW and post pics of his work when my house is done in a few weeks!

The only builder that I met with that I wouldn't recommend is JP Homes.  It was a two month process just to try to get a quote from him and I still never received one before I gave up. He lied to me every single time I spoke to him. He would promise me a quote within the week and then I wouldn't hear from him for two weeks. Then he'd make up an excuse and promise a quote by that evening, and then it would be another two weeks before he'd call back without a quote. That happened at least four times. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image BobKat22:

We are a few weeks out from our house being done. I highly recommend j.hill Homes. Our home building process has been excellent. There were a few bumps in the road at the very beginning, but once we got on the same page about things everything has gone great. He has been so lenient on throwing in extras. I think his standard home is better than the other builders in our area, plus he's gone above and beyond the standard for our house and we've only paid an extra $250 over the budget. I just loved coming in to find upgraded appliances just because he thought they'd look better. Or letting me have the woodwork guys put every extra little detail here and there and not charging me a penny extra just because he knew it would look fantastic. Another thing I love is that he custom builds his cabinets in the house. They aren't pre-made in a factory. I was there daily making little changes as they built the cabinents right in front of me. I can also contact him at any time. If he misses my call, he'll return it within 30 minutes. I really appreciate that.  I'll be an AW and post pics of his work when my house is done in a few weeks!

The only builder that I met with that I wouldn't recommend is JP Homes.  It was a two month process just to try to get a quote from him and I still never received one before I gave up. He lied to me every single time I spoke to him. He would promise me a quote within the week and then I wouldn't hear from him for two weeks. Then he'd make up an excuse and promise a quote by that evening, and then it would be another two weeks before he'd call back without a quote. That happened at least four times. 

Boymom - Yes, I am pretty sure I know who built yours and you know how much I love your home.  :)

BobKat - If I had to guess I bet you are building close to where I currently live!  Thank you for all of the info, I can't wait to see pictures when your home is completed.  I have seen both of those builders homes so it is nice to hear what a client or prospective client has to say.  The trim stuff is what I think is going to be a deal breaker for me and most builders.  

• Well since you have a long time, I would suggest you check out the parade of homes in the fall. It was a good way for us to see examples from lots of different builders at once. We haven't decided for sure yet, but currently Sun Custom Homes and Vesta Homes are high on our list. 

The are a couple of (related) builders that I would stay far far away from, but I'd probably rather PM you those names.  They straight up lied to me more than once on some pretty major things. 

• We are currently building in Yukon and we are using Zack League from League Custom Homes. He has been wonderful to work with, if we email him with a question he gets right back to us and we've never had to wait on an answer from him. His houses are such good quality and his trim work is outstanding. He has a facebook page or his website is leaguecustomhomes.com He has pictures of all of his houses on both so you can see his work.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/5fq6vl.jpg[/IMG]
    My Girls

06/10 [email protected] 10 weeks: 03/11 mc @ 8 weeks due to blighted ovum.
  • we were fairly set on using the builder Boymom used, but before we decided on him, it was between him and Landmark Fine Homes.  S really liked the environmental aspects of Landmark and all their energy things.  He also thought their quality was amazing and they didn't seem to cut corners.  There was quite a big price difference between the two though.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • image ShansBride:
    we were fairly set on using the builder Boymom used, but before we decided on him, it was between him and Landmark Fine Homes.  S really liked the environmental aspects of Landmark and all their energy things.  He also thought their quality was amazing and they didn't seem to cut corners.  There was quite a big price difference between the two though.

I liked landmark too, but their prices were disproportionally high IMO. We had a spreadsheet with avg cost per sq foot, quality, etc to rank builders.