Sex & Romance

IUD's?

Hello! My DH and I have recently talked about me changing BC (currently on the nuva ring) for financial reasons. I've looked through the various kinds, and IUD's just seem to sound easier. I have a gyno appointment in Feb, but I wondered if any of you had comments, concerns, suggestions on the topic?

I like the not having children for up to 5 years - we weren't planning on starting to try until my last semester in the Master's program, which is a ways off (3 years min.), and the upfront cost as opposed to paying $60 a month. I've tried researching it online, and found all the risks, but not too much information otherwise. The only big - and I'm told, rare - issue is the miscarriage while on it, thing. A friend of mine got pregnant and miscarried while on Mirena, but I swear you could knock her up by looking at her, and she/the doctors didn't get it removed fast enough. They let it sit for 3 weeks after she'd found out she was pregnant, and she miscarried a week after it was removed.

So, anything you can offer up would be great. Thanks!

7 Cardinal Rules for Life:
  1. Make peace with your past so it won't disturb your present.
  2. What other people think of you is none of your business.
  3. Time heals almost everything - give it time.
  4. No one is in charge of your happiness - except you.
  5. Don't compare your life to others, and don't judge them - you have no idea what their journey is all about.
  6. Stop thinking too much - it's alright to not know the answers; they'll come to you when you least expect it.
  7. Smile - you don't own all the problems in the world.

Re: IUD's?

• I have an Implanon, which is kind of like an IUD, but it's implanted just under your skin on your upper arm. If you haven't looked into that, I'd suggest at least giving it a glance.
  • Prior to your appointment, I would double check with your gyno's office to make sure your doctor is willing to do an IUD for someone who hasn't had children. My doctor was 110% cool with it, but some aren't. If your doc isn't willing to do it, you'll have a little time to find a different doctor before your annual exam. If you have your annual and then find out that your doctor won't do it, you may not be able to get another exam covered by insurance.

As for the IUD itself...have you decided between Paragard and Mirena? I have the Mirena and I looooove it. I'll tell you, the insertion was a biitch and my body took about six months to get used to it, but now it's perfect and I'd definitely do it again.

- namaste mothafockaaaas - image
  • I went on paragard for health/hormone reasons about two years ago. It was uncomfortable going in (my doctor told me it was easier to insert when you're menstruating because the cervix is softer) but once it was in place I haven't had any major issues with it. Definitely talk to your doctor to make sure all your questions and concerns are answered. And if you do get one, don't skip your yearly checkup. That's when my doc checks to make sure it's still properly in place.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I haven't heard of Implanon. Do you feel/see a bump? I may have to look into that.

No, I haven't decided between the two, but one (not Mirena) has copper in it, I think, so I'm not sure that one would be good for me since I have metal allergies. Dunno if that would work out or not, but considering where it's located, not sure I want to take a chance.

My appointment is coming up in February, and my dr is very easy going when it comes to meds - basically asks me questions to be sure it'd be a good fit, and has only once told me she refused to put me on something, but it was due to medical history on mom's side that could cause a side effect. 

Thanks for your input, ladies! You're been much more helpful than my research.

5. Don't compare your life to others, and don't judge them - you have no idea what their journey is all about.
    6. Stop thinking too much - it's alright to not know the answers; they'll come to you when you least expect it.
  • image schuette2:

I haven't heard of Implanon. Do you feel/see a bump? I may have to look into that.

You can feel it with your fingers if you look for it, but you cannot see it. It's a short, thin rod they insert with a needle, and it just hangs out for three years.

• Re: IUD
    To this day, 14 months later, I am still disappointed with my experience with Mirena. I had such high hopes/expectations of it. Straight to the point, my IUD (mirena) perforated my uterus and was found floating around my abdomen. Initially found by my spleen and questioned if it had perforated my colon, which it had not,  was then 2 hrs later near my diaphragm. I had to have surgery right away.
    I DO know several women who do have them in place and are very happy with them. While my doc didn't tell me that this was a risk (doc only mentioned it coming displaced, coming out..) I probably still would have tried it. Just make sure you know the risks of whatever option you choose.

Momma of three with one on the way
  • I had Mirena for a month before I had to have it removed.  I had horrible, almost constant nausea, constant cramping, constant bleeding, and no sex drive.  I really wanted it to work, but even the doctor agreed it wasn't for me.  It was extremely painful to get inserted as I've never had children.  I had a few days of cramping that felt like I think strong contractions feel like--we almost went to the hospital.  I literally cried with relief when it was removed.  That being said, everyone I know that got one AFTER children loves it.  It's really dependent on your body.  Talk to your doctor about all your options.
  • image missiemae:

Re: IUD
    To this day, 14 months later, I am still disappointed with my experience with Mirena. I had such high hopes/expectations of it. Straight to the point, my IUD (mirena) perforated my uterus and was found floating around my abdomen. Initially found by my spleen and questioned if it had perforated my colon, which it had not,  was then 2 hrs later near my diaphragm. I had to have surgery right away.
    I DO know several women who do have them in place and are very happy with them. While my doc didn't tell me that this was a risk (doc only mentioned it coming displaced, coming out..) I probably still would have tried it. Just make sure you know the risks of whatever option you choose.

This is why I'd never get an IUD.  I know the risk is small, but I don't want to damage my uterus before I've ever used it for what it was intended.  After I have kids?  Sure.  Until then?  I like my pills.

• image PixieChinchilla:
    I have an Implanon, which is kind of like an IUD, but it's implanted just under your skin on your upper arm. If you haven't looked into that, I'd suggest at least giving it a glance.

How in the world do you figure that Implanon is "kind of like" an IUD?

In case you're wondering where everyone went: http://pandce.proboards.com/index.cgi
  • image schuette2:

I haven't heard of Implanon. Do you feel/see a bump? I may have to look into that.

No, I haven't decided between the two, but one (not Mirena) has copper in it, I think, so I'm not sure that one would be good for me since I have metal allergies. Dunno if that would work out or not, but considering where it's located, not sure I want to take a chance.

My appointment is coming up in February, and my dr is very easy going when it comes to meds - basically asks me questions to be sure it'd be a good fit, and has only once told me she refused to put me on something, but it was due to medical history on mom's side that could cause a side effect. 

Thanks for your input, ladies! You're been much more helpful than my research.

If you have Wilson's disease, you won't be able to get Paragard, but as my dr. pointed out, if you had it, you'd know it by now.

Mirena uses hormones and is good for 5 years.  The hormones are very low-dose and progesterone-only, which is supposedly means it won't have the same side-effects that many women experience with birth control pills (although some women say otherwise).  Paragard has a copper wire wrapped around it and is good for 10 years. 

I went with Paragard because I didn't want any risk of experiencing hormonal side effects and I like that it's good for 10 years.  The trade-off for that is heavier periods, but it was worth it to me; I've been pretty happy with it.

In case you're wondering where everyone went: http://pandce.proboards.com/index.cgi
  • image zelda25:

image PixieChinchilla:
    I have an Implanon, which is kind of like an IUD, but it's implanted just under your skin on your upper arm. If you haven't looked into that, I'd suggest at least giving it a glance.

How in the world do you figure that Implanon is "kind of like" an IUD?

I only mean that in the sense that it's a long term, progesterone only BC that is inserted and can then be forgotten about for multiple years. I would consider them to be in the same general area of BC options.

• I am 39, have had no children but want them and had the Paraguard put in about a year and a half ago. I did not want hormones and the doctors were fine with inserting an IUD after telling them that I did want children eventually. I am having it taken out in April so we can start TTC. 

It was unpleasant going in but was fine by the end of the day. I did bleed for about three weeks afterward and it was checked and I was told all was fine. At first my periods were heavier but they have gotten a bit lighter in the last year. One of the reasons I chose the Paraguard over Mirena is because you are supposedly able to get pregnant immediately after removal whereas Mirena's hormones make it take a bit longer. I have recently read a lot of stories online of women getting pregnant within days of removal of the Paraguard and having successful pregnancies. 

• I have had Mirena for 3 1/2 years. I love it. No side effects, except no period after 3 months of intermittent spotting. I had cramping for the first day and nothing after that. I would go with Mirena because Paragard makes your periods much heavier.
  • My obgyn told me {because I asked for IUD} that it's discouraged to women who haven't had children prior to getting it inserted.

The uterus is alot smaller if you haven't had children, and the IUD would give you a little bit of discomfort from time to time {especially when trying to have sex.}

He showed me a chart, and the size of the iud. It made sense for me not to do it, but I may be wrong. Maybe someone on here who hasn't had children that has one may say something different. I'm taking depoprovera {the shot} You get it once every 3 months, and it's worked like a charm for us {so far!}

As far as your friend - they should have removed  it as soon as they found out she was pregnant, not 3 weeks later. That's just common sense, but very unfortunate, I'm sorry.
  • I have the Mirena, and I do not have children. It has been in about 6 weeks.

The insertion was not as painful as I expected. I took a stronger dose of ibuprofen (can't remember the exact dosage, it was a prescription) and some antibiotics one hour before the insertion. The doctor recommended I have someone drive me to the office, just in case I had a painful insertion.

It was smooth as silk. It literally took all of 15 minutes. They gave me an anesthetic, which only felt like a small pinch. She waited ten minutes for it to go numb, which felt pretty weird. Then, they measure your cervix, which is where I experienced the first bit of pain. It felt like an extremely strong cramp, but by the time it took my breath away, it was gone. Then the dr. clamped my cervix (which is where some women experience pain, but I felt nothing). Finally, the insertion. The insertion led to the same sharp cramp, but was over so fast I didn't even have time to tear up (and I tear up getting my eyebrows waxed!).

I hope this gives you an idea about what to expect, and when to expect pain. Every woman is so completely different, that it's hard to really know what will happen with insertion and after.

After the insertion, I was able to get up and walk within a few minutes (still a little numb). I was feeling absolutely no pain. I was scared that once the anesthetic and ibuprofen wore off I would be in pain, but there was none. I still have had very little cramping, which only occurred right before spotting. I started spotting about three weeks after the insertion, and I spotted for about two weeks.

My husband can't feel anything, although some women need to go back for a second visit to get the strings shortened. The "strings" are very thin, clear (like fishing line) that let you know the Mirena is still in place. I can only feel them when I insert my fingers inside myself in a certain position, and no other time. 

Your doctor will tell you all this, but I am all about women being as informed as possible before going to the doctor! :) good luck with whatever you decide!

• Thanks for all the help, ladies! The more I read, the more I think I may just stick with the nuva ring, as I haven't really had any problems with it, just wanted something a little over all cheaper that lasted longer. We'll see in February.