Oklahoma Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Re: UO Thursday

• I was irritated by the eleventy billion SOPA/PIPA posts on FB yesterday, mostly because I'm certain that was the extent of the involvement from 90% of the people who posted it. I'd bet money that only one or two of those people contacted their congressmen. 
  • image WendyToo:
    I was irritated by the eleventy billion SOPA/PIPA posts on FB yesterday, mostly because I'm certain that was the extent of the involvement from 90% of the people who posted it. I'd bet money that only one or two of those people contacted their congressmen. 

I had a lot of people post about it, too, but almost every one of them said something like, "I have already contacted my congressmen about this, and I hope you will too." 

• It irritates me when a person makes lunch plans with me, then cancels two hours before lunch. I didn't bring my lunch today and now I will have to BUY lunch rather than eat the lunch I could have brought from home.
  • image +PuppyWuppy+:
    It irritates me when a person makes lunch plans with me, then cancels two hours before lunch. I didn't bring my lunch today and now I will have to BUY lunch rather than eat the lunch I could have brought from home.

I hate this too. I don't like to go to lunch by myself so this translates to leaving to purchase lunch and still coming back to my desk to eat it or having to recruit people around the office to go out to lunch.  

• Probably not UO... but saying anyway.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with the news that is emerging about how the Costa Concordia disaster was handled. The fact that it happened to begin with is deplorable, but that over 30 people are likely dead from this incident is completely unacceptable. Yes, it's to be expected that some lives would be lost in this type of situation, but I promise that quite a few lives could have been saved had it been handled even slightly differently.

Having some knowledge about the cruise industry, this whole thing is absolutely mind-boggling to me. Years ago I decided I never wanted to cruise on Carnival again, and with that included Costa since they're owned by Carnival (I have some reasons for this). This incident just reaffirms that decision.

Books read in 2012: 49
    my bookshelf!
    Katie (gingerfeathers)'s book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Bloggy
  • I am absolutely ineffective at my job.  It is horrible. I have to "work around" nearly every other department here because people refuse to change/train their employees to do things the right way.  If there is a problem, I present the problem and a solution and its nothing but whine whine whine whine whine but what about this and this and this and this and this but no one will ever come up with a better solution. Then what happens?  I finally drop the subject and continue to work around.  It makes my life a living hell while at work.  I like "project" jobs but I have never had one quite this bad and I am ready to throw in the towel. I can't do it anymore.  I can't even get people to change because we have to FOLLOW THE LAW.  Still, whine whine whine whine whine, then I have to add 15 steps to my department to work around the other departments to make sure we are FOLLOWING THE LAW when the solution could have been ONE STEP by someone else which is usually just doing their job correctly in the first place. It is awful because when I started here, I know that a lot of people expected me to make some "big" changes to make their jobs easier and my hands are absolutely tied because of one or two people and their constantly whining and fear of actually having to do any work. Then, because nothing has changed, people start to lose their trust in me - it is a vicious cycle.
  • It sounds like you aren't getting top level support that you need PW. People are so resistan to change, particularly if it adds accountability, and it is so vital for the requirement to come from above. That really sucks. 
  • image WendyToo:
    It sounds like you aren't getting top level support that you need PW. People are so resistan to change, particularly if it adds accountability, and it is so vital for the requirement to come from above. That really sucks. 

Well, you are right - there is a person who could say "Listen.  This is being done improperly and given the status of the company now as compared to a year ago, we are going to do things the RIGHT WAY. Please work with puppywuppy in ensuring this gets done."

I had a discussion with THAT person today and he basically said:

1. You make things too black and white (which, sadly, is kind of how accounting is - it is either wrong or it isn't and the law happens to be that way as well for most of this stuff).

2.  You don't understand the business.  Huh. True, but, accounting is accounting. It is the same EVERYWHERE. Software is the same, debits and credits are the same, the laws are the same, "good" business practices at say, my previous job are the same as they are here or anywhere else. So, even though I don't know the tiny detail stuff of each and every product we offer, I do understand when we are up the shipping and invoicing process.

3. Don't offer solutions. Tell them the problem and make them figure it out. Seriously, I laughed so hard I farted. He didn't hear the fart, but that is how hard I laughed.

4.  Various other crap that essentially made everything my fault.

My first day here I had a line at my door of people anxious to meet me and had meetings for two weeks straight with the head of the departments, etc etc to begin to understand processes.  Things here are so bad and broken, they really needed someone to stand up and say "HEY LISTEN TO ME" - I am screaming and screaming and screaming and....nothing.  It is a horrible feeling to leave work knowing that you helped out no one and that you can't.