What's Cooking?
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Garlic chopper, press, ?

I am a really new cook. I didn't really start getting in the kitchen until I was pregnant. My mom is amazing and I want my kids to eat great food made by me as well. One thing I haaaate is chopping up garlic. I thought I saw a little round garlic chopper at Target once but can't find it anymore. They looked at me like I was nuts at Sur La Table so maybe there is no such thing. Does a garlic press do the same job? And can you tell me if the OXO garlic press is good? Thanks.

Re: Garlic chopper, press, ?

• If you want a press, Kuhn Rikon is the way to go.  Instead,  I just grate garlic on a microplane grater.  :-)
  • No advice for a press, but I have the Cuisinart Mini Mate chopper/grinder and I love it. It's perfect for garlic, spices and herbs.
  • The round thing you're thinking of is probably a garlic slicer (not a garlic press) - I used to have one that was kind of circular - you put a couple cloves of garlic in, twist the top half, and garlic slices come out the bottom.

As for garlic presses, along with the Kuhn-Rikon that someone mentioned above, the Zyliss has also gotten good reviews in the past from Cooks Illustrated.

I use a Pampered Chef garlic press that I got as a gift from my Mom... it works pretty well. 

• image TPOX:
    If you want a press, Kuhn Rikon is the way to go.  Instead,  I just grate garlic on a microplane grater.  :-)

Thanks! Googling microplane garter, lol.

• image SecretServiceWife:
    No advice for a press, but I have the Cuisinart Mini Mate chopper/grinder and I love it. It's perfect for garlic, spices and herbs.

That is what Sur La Table showed me, I think. I was worried about the little pieces of garlic being a pain to get out? But I guess not since you love it.

• image ch ch ch chia:

The round thing you're thinking of is probably a garlic slicer (not a garlic press) - I used to have one that was kind of circular - you put a couple cloves of garlic in, twist the top half, and garlic slices come out the bottom.

As for garlic presses, along with the Kuhn-Rikon that someone mentioned above, the Zyliss has also gotten good reviews in the past from Cooks Illustrated.

I use a Pampered Chef garlic press that I got as a gift from my Mom... it works pretty well. 

Good info, thanks!

• I have this one and love it. It has a cleaning tool and also slices garlic as well.

New Amco 2 in 1 Garlic Press and Slicer on eBay!

Kevin & Lisa

McKayla

See Mommy I can sit on the pretty rug with pictures of puppies and be good..... A day later she ate the rug...........

• This is what I have:  http://www.elderluxe.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=263   It comes apart for easy cleaning, and can be used for lots of chopping chores (nuts, shallots, carrots, etc.).  I have a big one and a small one.
  • I have both a chopper and a garlic press. I use them both very frequently. The chopper is great when I need to mince up a lot of garlic - if I'm making a big batch of something or need garlic in multiple dishes. It's a chopper that also works for onions, shallots, etc.

The garlic press is great if I just need a few cloves. They've both been good investments that get a lot of use in my kitchen - them again, I use a LOT of garlic!

2012 Racing Plans:
    Valentine's Day Dash 5k, 02/11/2012, 33:03
    Seahawks 12k, 04/01/2012, 1:23:17
    Bellevue 10k, 04/29/2012
    Beat the Bridge 8k, 05/20/2012
    Seattle Rock n Roll Half Marathon, 06/23/2012
    ...more to come!
  • I don't like my zyliss garlic press at all.  It was a gift, and I really wanted it to be wonderful, but it wasn't.

I seem to remember seeing this  at Target and wanting it.  I remember hearing some good things about it.

• I have this:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/vegetable-chop-and-measure/?pkey=cvegetable-tools

and I love it.  I use it to cut onions (I can cut an onion pretty quickly by hand, but this is still much faster) all the time, and I also used to cut apples and things for DD before she was good at chewing her food.  I actually prefer it to a garlic press because there's less waste.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image