What's Cooking?

Garlic chopper, press, ?

I am a really new cook. I didn't really start getting in the kitchen until I was pregnant. My mom is amazing and I want my kids to eat great food made by me as well. One thing I haaaate is chopping up garlic. I thought I saw a little round garlic chopper at Target once but can't find it anymore. They looked at me like I was nuts at Sur La Table so maybe there is no such thing. Does a garlic press do the same job? And can you tell me if the OXO garlic press is good? Thanks.

Re: Garlic chopper, press, ?

• If you want a press, Kuhn Rikon is the way to go.  Instead,  I just grate garlic on a microplane grater.  :-)
  • No advice for a press, but I have the Cuisinart Mini Mate chopper/grinder and I love it. It's perfect for garlic, spices and herbs.
  • The round thing you're thinking of is probably a garlic slicer (not a garlic press) - I used to have one that was kind of circular - you put a couple cloves of garlic in, twist the top half, and garlic slices come out the bottom.

As for garlic presses, along with the Kuhn-Rikon that someone mentioned above, the Zyliss has also gotten good reviews in the past from Cooks Illustrated.

I use a Pampered Chef garlic press that I got as a gift from my Mom... it works pretty well. 

• image TPOX:
    If you want a press, Kuhn Rikon is the way to go.  Instead,  I just grate garlic on a microplane grater.  :-)

Thanks! Googling microplane garter, lol.

• image SecretServiceWife:
    No advice for a press, but I have the Cuisinart Mini Mate chopper/grinder and I love it. It's perfect for garlic, spices and herbs.

That is what Sur La Table showed me, I think. I was worried about the little pieces of garlic being a pain to get out? But I guess not since you love it.

• image ch ch ch chia:

The round thing you're thinking of is probably a garlic slicer (not a garlic press) - I used to have one that was kind of circular - you put a couple cloves of garlic in, twist the top half, and garlic slices come out the bottom.

As for garlic presses, along with the Kuhn-Rikon that someone mentioned above, the Zyliss has also gotten good reviews in the past from Cooks Illustrated.

I use a Pampered Chef garlic press that I got as a gift from my Mom... it works pretty well. 

Good info, thanks!

• I have this one and love it. It has a cleaning tool and also slices garlic as well.

New Amco 2 in 1 Garlic Press and Slicer on eBay!

Kevin & Lisa

McKayla

See Mommy I can sit on the pretty rug with pictures of puppies and be good..... A day later she ate the rug...........

• This is what I have:  http://www.elderluxe.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=263   It comes apart for easy cleaning, and can be used for lots of chopping chores (nuts, shallots, carrots, etc.).  I have a big one and a small one.
    14 Pieces Of Advice Mindy Kaling Has For Women

• I have both a chopper and a garlic press. I use them both very frequently. The chopper is great when I need to mince up a lot of garlic - if I'm making a big batch of something or need garlic in multiple dishes. It's a chopper that also works for onions, shallots, etc.

The garlic press is great if I just need a few cloves. They've both been good investments that get a lot of use in my kitchen - them again, I use a LOT of garlic!

2012 Racing Plans:
    Valentine's Day Dash 5k, 02/11/2012, 33:03
    Seahawks 12k, 04/01/2012, 1:23:17
    Bellevue 10k, 04/29/2012
    Beat the Bridge 8k, 05/20/2012
    Seattle Rock n Roll Half Marathon, 06/23/2012
    ...more to come!
  • I don't like my zyliss garlic press at all.  It was a gift, and I really wanted it to be wonderful, but it wasn't.

I seem to remember seeing this  at Target and wanting it.  I remember hearing some good things about it.

• I have this:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/vegetable-chop-and-measure/?pkey=cvegetable-tools

and I love it.  I use it to cut onions (I can cut an onion pretty quickly by hand, but this is still much faster) all the time, and I also used to cut apples and things for DD before she was good at chewing her food.  I actually prefer it to a garlic press because there's less waste.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Apparently the doll needed a time out... image