Decorating & Renovating
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Help with front door color

I know that a lot of you might want to see a pic, but the only one I have is on my blog, and I can't figure out how to PIP easily on my mac, so the only pic you could see is at on my blog at http://melissasimplelife.blogspot.com/2011/11/exciting-news.html  (I am not trying to get blog hits, I promise).  

So, our new house is tan light siding, brown trim/gutters, and bluish/greenish shutters.  The front door is a really dingy white right now, with yellowing plastic around the glass insert.  There was a black metal storm door (the old kind with black wrought iron bars on it) that we replaced with a clear glass one trimmed in brown to match the trim.  

I originally wanted to paint the door the same color as the shutters, but they aren't really easy to match, and I don't really want to take one off to take in the store to color match.  Should I get a bunch of samples to try to match to them and paint the door to match the shutters anyway, or go with a completely different color?  

I am open to all suggestions. TIA! 

BFP #1: 3/20/10, EDD 11/22/12, DD born: 11/20/12
BFP #2: 8/26/12, EDD 5/3/12, M/C 9/4/12
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Living Simple Blog

Re: Help with front door color

• Thank you!
    Living Simple Blog
  • Since it looks like it's quite dark back in there, I'd play with white paint chips to find one that matches the garage door.
  • I would paint the garage door closer to the house color, and paint the front door something light or bright to draw more focus to the front door.  

Right now the garage door gets all of the focus, and I think it always will as long as it contrasts with the  house color....even if you paint the front door a more attention grabbing color.  The garage door is such a big expanse that it is hard to compete with it.  Ours was the same way so we painted it a color that isn't so different than the house.

• Did you use regular exterior paint?  I had never thought about painting the garage door, but now that you mention it, that is a great idea!
    Living Simple Blog
  • image TheBridesMom:

I would paint the garage door closer to the house color, and paint the front door something light or bright to draw more focus to the front door.  

Right now the garage door gets all of the focus, and I think it always will as long as it contrasts with the  house color....even if you paint the front door a more attention grabbing color.  The garage door is such a big expanse that it is hard to compete with it.  Ours was the same way so we painted it a color that isn't so different than the house.

This is great advice!  And then I would paint the front door something bright and fun like Saffron or something.  GL!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image SaintCity:
    image TheBridesMom:

I would paint the garage door closer to the house color, and paint the front door something light or bright to draw more focus to the front door.  

This is great advice!  And then I would paint the front door something bright and fun like Saffron or something.  GL!

I agree with all of this.