Health & Fitness

Sub 2:00 Half Marathon Plan?

Hey Ladies -

My goal this spring is to break 2:00 in the 1/2 marathon, and based on my previous race times I think this is pretty realistic. Maybe I can even go faster. I looked at the HH plans and some other free plans, but I was really hoping to find something that listed specific paces for speedwork, tempo work, etc. I stumbled onto this plan on someone's blog, and just wanted some input. For those of you that run a 1:59ish half, does this look like a solid plan to you?

http://marathonmadman.blogspot.com/2010/02/12-week-plan-to-sub-200-hour-half.html

Also, I'm wondering what the longest tempo or race pace runs most of you do for a 1/2? Do you ever do a true long run (9-10 miles +) while trying to hit your race pace for some or all of it. 

TIA!

2012 Races:

Frozen 5K 2.4.12 - 23:10 (7:28 pace) PR

Earth Day 1/2 Marathon 4.21.12 - 1:54:38 (8:45 pace) PR

More to come...

Follow my blog @

Dairy Farm. Run. Smile.

I'm part of TEAM REFUEL with Chocolate Milk!

Re: Sub 2:00 Half Marathon Plan?

• Have you tried the Smart Coach program on runnersworld.com?  I use that for most of my training plans and it lists specific paces for me. 
  • image aeroluv327:
    Have you tried the Smart Coach program on runnersworld.com?  I use that for most of my training plans and it lists specific paces for me. 

I was going to recommend this as well. I just created a training plan for a 10 miler based on my last half marathon time and the number miles per week I want to train. It gives you speed workouts and tempo workouts with specific paces to maintain.Good Luck! 

Baby Girl! Coming May 1, 2013

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • on my long runs I run as fast as possible. lol. thats my method, and i'm sticking to it.

I definitely think you have a sub 2 in you!!

http://lifeisbeachykeenblog.wordpress.com
  • image RachelandEduardo:

image aeroluv327:
    Have you tried the Smart Coach program on runnersworld.com?  I use that for most of my training plans and it lists specific paces for me. 

I was going to recommend this as well. I just created a training plan for a 10 miler based on my last half marathon time and the number miles per week I want to train. It gives you speed workouts and tempo workouts with specific paces to maintain.Good Luck! 

Ditto these guys...I used a SmartCoach program when I was gearing up to run a sub 2:00 HM and it worked out great for me!

• I am going to preface this with I haven't run a sub 2 hr half marathon, but my DH has run a sub 1:30 and he swears that your long runs shouldn't be that fast.  He typically runs his long runs at an 8 - 8:30 pace.  I would just be careful that you don't over do it with this plan. 
  • image RachelandEduardo:

image aeroluv327:

Smart Coach is what I always used to use, but when I logged on to RW the other day it wanted me to set up a new profile for a plan, & I couldn't find the old Smart Coach calculator. Maybe I just didn't look in the right spot. I'll have to go back and look some more; thanks gals! I think if I can take a couple of plans and get some ideas I can hopefully create something "fool-proof" :-)
    2012 Races:

More to come...

Follow my blog @

Dairy Farm. Run. Smile.

• I would not do a 5K every other weekend in lieu of a long run if I was training for a half. and the 440s/880s are weird. other than that it seems like it's OK.  

I think the longest I've run @ race pace has been 40-50 minutes.  I can't remember. that's 5-6 miles @ goal pace for me.  I'm trying to do 6-8 miles @ HM pace this time around.

What's your current PR?  Is sub-2 reasonable for you now? 

I *think* when I broke 2:00 I was following a HH intermediate plan.  maybe it was advanced though?  I sort of make things up on my own now based on a variety of different plans. 

• image ebeth_msn:

I would not do a 5K every other weekend in lieu of a long run if I was training for a half. and the 440s/880s are weird. other than that it seems like it's OK.  

I think the longest I've run @ race pace has been 40-50 minutes.  I can't remember. that's 5-6 miles @ goal pace for me.  I'm trying to do 6-8 miles @ HM pace this time around.

What's your current PR?  Is sub-2 reasonable for you now? 

I *think* when I broke 2:00 I was following a HH intermediate plan.  maybe it was advanced though?  I sort of make things up on my own now based on a variety of different plans. 

Good point. I definitely will not (nor could I even find) a 5K every other weekend. I should have specified that I will do a more normal long run progression w/ maybe 1 race. I mainly just am looking at using the speedwork (and vary it a little more) and the tempo runs and sticking with 20-35 mpw. My 1/2 PR is 2:12:00 right now, but it's from spring 2010, which is the last 1/2 I've run.
    2012 Races:

More to come...

Follow my blog @

Dairy Farm. Run. Smile.

• That Mcmillan calculator is awesome.  I have the printout of all my target training paces in my calendar book and refer to it all. the. time.  I take HH plans and tweak them as I need...my tempo runs were never more than 6 miles when I was training. And I did a couple of speed sessions with 800s - I don't know if they helped, but I like doing them and feeling fast.  Smile

And you can TOTALLY break 2 hours. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Yes,I'm smiling...I'm a marathoner!
    Bloggy McBloggerson
    CO Nestie Award Winner-Prettiest Brain-Back to Back!
    2011 Bests
    5K-22:49 10K-47:38 Half Mary-1:51:50
    2012 Race Report
    1/1-New Year's 5K-22:11
    2/11-Sweetheart Classic 4-mile-29:49
    3/24-Coulee Chase 5K-21:40
    5/6-Colorado Marathon-4:08:30
    5/28-Bolder Boulder 10K
  • The FIRST plan is FREAKING awesome for PRing.  You hit the run paces, cross train twice a week and it all but guarantees you a PR.

There's a 10 week free plan on Runner's World - linky - but there's also a book that has a lot of great information and goes more in depth to why the plan works.

If you follow the plan on RW, you'll do two tempo runs of 8 miles at your tempo pace, which is faster than your HMP.  Long runs are done at 20 or 30 seconds + HMP and speedwork varies according to distance.