Health & Fitness
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Sub 2:00 Half Marathon Plan?

Hey Ladies -

My goal this spring is to break 2:00 in the 1/2 marathon, and based on my previous race times I think this is pretty realistic. Maybe I can even go faster. I looked at the HH plans and some other free plans, but I was really hoping to find something that listed specific paces for speedwork, tempo work, etc. I stumbled onto this plan on someone's blog, and just wanted some input. For those of you that run a 1:59ish half, does this look like a solid plan to you?

http://marathonmadman.blogspot.com/2010/02/12-week-plan-to-sub-200-hour-half.html

Also, I'm wondering what the longest tempo or race pace runs most of you do for a 1/2? Do you ever do a true long run (9-10 miles +) while trying to hit your race pace for some or all of it. 

TIA!

2012 Races:

Frozen 5K 2.4.12 - 23:10 (7:28 pace) PR

Earth Day 1/2 Marathon 4.21.12 - 1:54:38 (8:45 pace) PR

More to come...

Dairy Farm. Run. Smile.

I'm part of TEAM REFUEL with Chocolate Milk!

Re: Sub 2:00 Half Marathon Plan?

• Have you tried the Smart Coach program on runnersworld.com?  I use that for most of my training plans and it lists specific paces for me. 
  • image aeroluv327:
    Have you tried the Smart Coach program on runnersworld.com?  I use that for most of my training plans and it lists specific paces for me. 

I was going to recommend this as well. I just created a training plan for a 10 miler based on my last half marathon time and the number miles per week I want to train. It gives you speed workouts and tempo workouts with specific paces to maintain.Good Luck! 

Baby Girl! Coming May 1, 2013

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • on my long runs I run as fast as possible. lol. thats my method, and i'm sticking to it.

I definitely think you have a sub 2 in you!!

http://lifeisbeachykeenblog.wordpress.com
  • image RachelandEduardo:

image aeroluv327:
    Have you tried the Smart Coach program on runnersworld.com?  I use that for most of my training plans and it lists specific paces for me. 

I was going to recommend this as well. I just created a training plan for a 10 miler based on my last half marathon time and the number miles per week I want to train. It gives you speed workouts and tempo workouts with specific paces to maintain.Good Luck! 

Ditto these guys...I used a SmartCoach program when I was gearing up to run a sub 2:00 HM and it worked out great for me!

• I am going to preface this with I haven't run a sub 2 hr half marathon, but my DH has run a sub 1:30 and he swears that your long runs shouldn't be that fast.  He typically runs his long runs at an 8 - 8:30 pace.  I would just be careful that you don't over do it with this plan. 
  • image RachelandEduardo:

image aeroluv327:

Smart Coach is what I always used to use, but when I logged on to RW the other day it wanted me to set up a new profile for a plan, & I couldn't find the old Smart Coach calculator. Maybe I just didn't look in the right spot. I'll have to go back and look some more; thanks gals! I think if I can take a couple of plans and get some ideas I can hopefully create something "fool-proof" :-)
    2012 Races:

More to come...

Dairy Farm. Run. Smile.

• I would not do a 5K every other weekend in lieu of a long run if I was training for a half. and the 440s/880s are weird. other than that it seems like it's OK.  

I think the longest I've run @ race pace has been 40-50 minutes.  I can't remember. that's 5-6 miles @ goal pace for me.  I'm trying to do 6-8 miles @ HM pace this time around.

What's your current PR?  Is sub-2 reasonable for you now? 

I *think* when I broke 2:00 I was following a HH intermediate plan.  maybe it was advanced though?  I sort of make things up on my own now based on a variety of different plans. 

• image ebeth_msn:

I would not do a 5K every other weekend in lieu of a long run if I was training for a half. and the 440s/880s are weird. other than that it seems like it's OK.  

I think the longest I've run @ race pace has been 40-50 minutes.  I can't remember. that's 5-6 miles @ goal pace for me.  I'm trying to do 6-8 miles @ HM pace this time around.

What's your current PR?  Is sub-2 reasonable for you now? 

I *think* when I broke 2:00 I was following a HH intermediate plan.  maybe it was advanced though?  I sort of make things up on my own now based on a variety of different plans. 

Good point. I definitely will not (nor could I even find) a 5K every other weekend. I should have specified that I will do a more normal long run progression w/ maybe 1 race. I mainly just am looking at using the speedwork (and vary it a little more) and the tempo runs and sticking with 20-35 mpw. My 1/2 PR is 2:12:00 right now, but it's from spring 2010, which is the last 1/2 I've run.
    2012 Races:

More to come...

Dairy Farm. Run. Smile.

• That Mcmillan calculator is awesome.  I have the printout of all my target training paces in my calendar book and refer to it all. the. time.  I take HH plans and tweak them as I need...my tempo runs were never more than 6 miles when I was training. And I did a couple of speed sessions with 800s - I don't know if they helped, but I like doing them and feeling fast.  Smile

And you can TOTALLY break 2 hours. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Yes,I'm smiling...I'm a marathoner!
    Bloggy McBloggerson
    CO Nestie Award Winner-Prettiest Brain-Back to Back!
    2011 Bests
    5K-22:49 10K-47:38 Half Mary-1:51:50
    2012 Race Report
    1/1-New Year's 5K-22:11
    2/11-Sweetheart Classic 4-mile-29:49
    3/24-Coulee Chase 5K-21:40
    5/6-Colorado Marathon-4:08:30
    5/28-Bolder Boulder 10K
  • The FIRST plan is FREAKING awesome for PRing.  You hit the run paces, cross train twice a week and it all but guarantees you a PR.

There's a 10 week free plan on Runner's World - linky - but there's also a book that has a lot of great information and goes more in depth to why the plan works.

If you follow the plan on RW, you'll do two tempo runs of 8 miles at your tempo pace, which is faster than your HMP.  Long runs are done at 20 or 30 seconds + HMP and speedwork varies according to distance.