Fashion & Beauty

What to wear to calling hours at a funeral home?

I have been once and I can't remember what I wore. Should I wear dark colors? Dress up? What's the etiquette?

Re: What to wear to calling hours at a funeral home?

• I'd wear the same thing that I'd wear to the funeral. Dress pants, with a nice button up with either a cardigan or a suit jacket. Or a black shift dress.  
  • image Col379:
    I'd wear the same thing that I'd wear to the funeral. Dress pants, with a nice button up with either a cardigan or a suit jacket. Or a black shift dress.  

This. I've been to a few visitations over the past several years and I have typically worn black dress pants with a nice top or a black pencil skirt and a cardigan. Most everyone was dressed similarly.

• In my experience, people don't dress up as much for the viewing as they do for the funeral. I would go with business casual and dark/muted colors. It doesn't have to be black; gray pants and a dark sweater would be fine. You just don't want to be dressed casually or wearing bright colors.
  • image RedBellPeppers:
    In my experience, people don't dress up as much for the viewing as they do for the funeral. I would go with business casual and dark/muted colors. It doesn't have to be black; gray pants and a dark sweater would be fine. You just don't want to be dressed casually or wearing bright colors.

This.

• image RedBellPeppers:
    In my experience, people don't dress up as much for the viewing as they do for the funeral. I would go with business casual and dark/muted colors. It doesn't have to be black; gray pants and a dark sweater would be fine. You just don't want to be dressed casually or wearing bright colors.

This is what I typically do.  Sweater dresses and tights can be good as long as they would be office appropriate and aren't super tight.  I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed for something like this. 

• I went to a viewing recently and wore a nice knit dress and boots.  Most people were wearing business casual to Sunday attire.  There were some wearing jeans though and I couldn't help but give them the Hmm. I wouldn't wear anything to a viewing that I wouldn't wear to a wedding, funeral or to a place of worship.
  • image alicat32908:
    I went to a viewing recently and wore a nice knit dress and boots.  Most people were wearing business casual to Sunday attire.  There were some wearing jeans though and I couldn't help but give them the Hmm. I wouldn't wear anything to a viewing that I wouldn't wear to a wedding, funeral or to a place of worship.

Well, I certainly wouldn't wear a cocktail dress to a funeral home...haha.

I don't give too much side-eye to jeans at a funeral home, though I wouldn't do it myself. I grew up in a small town where maybe it's more common.

• image RedBellPeppers:

image alicat32908:
    I went to a viewing recently and wore a nice knit dress and boots.  Most people were wearing business casual to Sunday attire.  There were some wearing jeans though and I couldn't help but give them the Hmm. I wouldn't wear anything to a viewing that I wouldn't wear to a wedding, funeral or to a place of worship.

Well, I certainly wouldn't wear a cocktail dress to a funeral home...haha.

I don't give too much side-eye to jeans at a funeral home, though I wouldn't do it myself. I grew up in a small town where maybe it's more common.

I live in a really small town and here, jeans definitely would not be uncommon or out of place for the visitation.  Some people might be more dressed up (business casual ish) but then I think it tends to be because they are coming straight from work.  Funerals are more like business casual. 

imageimageimage