Pets

Premium Dog Food

What are some premium dog foods that you ladies can suggest?
image. IVF July 2012 BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Premium Dog Food

• Look at the FAQ at the top of the page :)

There are a lot of good quality foods. My dogs are doing great on Taste of the Wild.

Look for foods that have real meat as the first ingredient, no corn, no ingredients that say "by products" or have vague or unknown origins, like "poultry" or "meat by product meal" or "animal fat" that could be from any number of animals. Ingredients are listed in the order of weight, so listed first = bigger portion of the final product. 

Oh, and everything listed before the first "fat" is a main ingredient, everything else is supplementary. 

• I think the "most recommended" brands on this board are: 

Orijen/Acana

Taste of the Wild

Wellness

Fromm

Nature's Variety

Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul

The websites for each manufacturer have a "where to buy" search option.

Also, if you have a Costco membership, their Kirkland brand food is a good quality for a lower price than those listed above (though keep in mind that because the foods listed above are more nutrient-dense, you don't need to feed as much, so the food lasts longer, so the higher price tag is worth it).  

• In addition to above suggestions, I really like this site:

http://www.petfoodratings.net/dogs.html

It's easy to read, explains the "why", and it's easy to compare dollar signs versus number of stars. 

imageimage Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image RedheadBaker:

I think the "most recommended" brands on this board are: 

Orijen/Acana

Taste of the Wild

Wellness

Fromm

Nature's Variety

Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul

The websites for each manufacturer have a "where to buy" search option.

Also, if you have a Costco membership, their Kirkland brand food is a good quality for a lower price than those listed above (though keep in mind that because the foods listed above are more nutrient-dense, you don't need to feed as much, so the food lasts longer, so the higher price tag is worth it).  

Ditto all of these suggestions, as well as the Costco recommendation. They carry two house brands of food- Nature's Domain (Grain free) and the Kirkland line. I personally feed Nature's Domain. We've fed TOTW in the past, and the Nature's Domain is almost as nutritionally beneficial as the TOTW, at a slightly lower price point.

• You might also want to try this dog food reviews site - it's nicely laid out with ratings and price range.  Also has a bunch of dog food coupons too!

• Thanks everyone for your advice. I decided to go with Kirklands :)
    image. IVF July 2012 BabyFruit Ticker