Married Life

Why does my mom annoy me so much?

We were just talking about careers, she was saying how my brother wants out of the restaurant and what is he going to do, and how everyone works long hours, including my H, that's just life.  I told her H is looking for a different job, because it doesn't work to have him work as many hours as he does, with the two kids and everything, and how most partners' wives stay home, proving my point that it makes no sense.

Mom :"Well yeah, if he makes partner then you would stay home".

Me: "Um no, why in the world would I want to do that?"

Mom: "But he'd make enough money for both of you!"

Me: "So? How is that about the money?"

Mom: "Oh yeah, you mean you care about your actual "career"?"  

I swear I could hear the "." and eyeroll in her tone and it makes me murderous.  I told her I'd rather stab myself in the eye than stay home.

The woman has the ability to annoy me more than anyone or anything in the entire world.  I'm scared I'll turn into her one day amnd drive my daughters nuts.  

Re: Why does my mom annoy me so much?

• It has been insinuated by people who will not be named that H's career is somehow more important than mine and it makes me want to give them a power wedgie of epic proportions.

I hate fifties thinkers. 

• My mom is like that too, which makes no sense because she never stayed at home. DH and I decided that I wouldn't work the last year of nursing school, or that I'd only work PRN, so I could focus on school. It's not so bad when I have classes, but when I'm on break I go crazy. My mom is like, "What? Just enjoy it...go bake something. You're going to SAH once you have kids anyway, right?".   Umm...no. Why would I go back to school get this nursing degree, only to quit and stay home a couple years later?  

Of course, this is the same woman who, five seconds after meeting DH (then boyfriend) for the first time, said, "I am pretty sure I have a brain tumor". *insert blank stare from DH*. The next time she saw him, she thought she had SARS. So clearly, God love her, she is crazy. 

• I almost punched my Mom in the face a few weeks ago. She told my potty training DD that if she had an accident Santa wouldn't come.

Some mom's just suck. Plain and simple.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image ARO1018:

Of course, this is the same woman who, five seconds after meeting DH (then boyfriend) for the first time, said, "I am pretty sure I have a brain tumor". *insert blank stare from DH*. The next time she saw him, she thought she had SARS. So clearly, God love her, she is crazy. 

omg, I think I might be your mother. I do this same, exact shiit. I have had SARS and smallpox in the recent pastIndifferent

• image Mofongo:
    image ARO1018:

omg, I think I might be your mother. I do this same, exact shiit. I have had SARS and smallpox in the recent pastIndifferent

LOL

I can't wait to see what she thinks she has next time I see her. Sometimes DH and I take bets on it. That sounds terrible. :)

The worst part is, she's a nurse, so on top of the normal diseases that everyone knows about, she knows some really random ones that she is convinced she has.  

• ~I will just delete my rant about my mom~

• image puddleofgrace06:

I almost punched my Mom in the face a few weeks ago. She told my potty training DD that if she had an accident Santa wouldn't come.

Some mom's just suck. Plain and simple.

OMG, what is WRONG with people? That's worse than threatening your DD with shots from the Dr.

Wut? Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom is the most annoying and also my favorite person. It is crazy how someone can make me love the one minute and the pull my hair out the next.

• My mom has this fantastic ability to say the worst possible thing. The example that sticks out most in my mind is from many years ago, in college.

When I was in school, anything less than a perfect grade was completely unacceptable. Not in the sense that I would get in trouble for it, but in the sense that that option simply DIDN'T EXIST. That was just the way it was, and sometimes the constant pressure drove me absolutely insane. So at one point in college, when I was having a particularly hard time with that and a bunch of other things, I was seriously considering dropping out of school to try to make a living as a writer. I was on the phone with my parents one day, and finally, for the first time in my entire life, my Dad said, "You know, you could drop out and become a hippie and we would still love you." And it was SO EXACTLY what I needed to hear that all of a sudden it made the entire world seem bearable again.

Except that in the very next breath my mother said, "But of course we know you would never do that!"

Thanks. Way to ruin it, Mom.

Whenever I hear Chesh's IRL name I think "Scissor" --MontereyBride