Health & Fitness

What to do with puss in your eye?

My mom has a cold and suddenly got puss in her eye that made her eye swollen and irritating. I called Walgreens and was told that there's really nothing over the counter to buy. You have to go to a Dr. and get antibiotic drops for this? Have you had this and can it go away on its own?

Re: What to do with puss in your eye?

• Sounds like an infection (pink eye comes to mind), and she really does need to see a doctor. I know with children, it is common to get pink eye with a cold/infection because they inadvertently touch rub their eyes after rubbing their noses. I know my sis always takes her little ones to the doctor to get drops and antibiotics. Do you have a clinic in your pharmacy? That may be a quick solution. Also, pharmacists are medical doctors and some will prescribe the needed medication for you, but it is rare!

• I had a sinus infection earlier this year, and got Allergic Conjunctivitis, which is basically pink eye but not the contagious kind. My eye was swollen, pink, and was crusty in the morning when I woke up, and watery/ had discharge during the day.

You can try Similisan Pink Eye Relief, but it didn't do anything for me, really. Warm compresses helped, along with decongestants. I put a washcloth in really hot water, then let it sit on my eye. That seemed to help drain it.

I did have to go to Urgent care and ended up with two types of drops that I was on for several days - one for the irritation, and another antibiotic one to treat the infection.  I don't know if it would've gone away on its own or not....I didn't want to wait around and find out!

• Puss in the eyes isn't necessarily from bacteria.  When my DS gets viral colds, he often gets red, icky, irritated eyes, as well.  In that case, his pedi won't prescribe antibacterial drops because it's useless and his cold has to run it's course.  Pink eye (bacterial) doesn't have cold symptoms that go along with it. 
    DS - June 2009
    DD - February 2011
  • Thanks for all your input. I will wait it out until tomorrow and go from there. I took your advice and put a towel in hot water to put on her eye in the meantime:)
  • If it is acutal white, purulent pus coming from her eye, it is mostly likely a bacterial infection.  If it is just a creamy, mucosy drainage, then it might be viral (probably, actally).  A *** eye is NOT normal for viral pink eye.  I'm not sure how to effectively explain the difference between pus and creamy mucosy drainage though.  Really, she needs to see a doctor for a diagnosis and drops if necessary.

I'm not usually one to correct spelling, grammar, etc, but puss and pus are two totally different things completely changing the direction of the post!

My Bio
    Blog
    Miles Alister. 9.17.2007. 8# 6oz 21.5inches
    Isla Penelope. 10.21.2010. 8# 3oz 21 inches
    2 Months 11# 6oz 23.5 inches
    4 Months 13# 6oz 25 inches
    6 Months 14# 15oz 27 inches
    9 Months 17# 10oz 28 inches
    12 Months 19# 10oz 28.75 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Carilyn:

If it is acutal white, purulent pus coming from her eye, it is mostly likely a bacterial infection.  If it is just a creamy, mucosy drainage, then it might be viral (probably, actally).  A *** eye is NOT normal for viral pink eye.  I'm not sure how to effectively explain the difference between pus and creamy mucosy drainage though.  Really, she needs to see a doctor for a diagnosis and drops if necessary.

I'm not usually one to correct spelling, grammar, etc, but puss and pus are two totally different things completely changing the direction of the post!

I can't believe it sensored pus sy. If something contains pus, it is pus sy, with two s, not one.  Silly Nest.

My Bio
    Blog
    Miles Alister. 9.17.2007. 8# 6oz 21.5inches
    Isla Penelope. 10.21.2010. 8# 3oz 21 inches
    2 Months 11# 6oz 23.5 inches
    4 Months 13# 6oz 25 inches
    6 Months 14# 15oz 27 inches
    9 Months 17# 10oz 28 inches
    12 Months 19# 10oz 28.75 inches
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes. Sounds like pink eye. I'd take a trip to the doc. In the mean time, she can try the Simalsan Pink Eye Drops which they recently renamed Simalsan Irritated Eye Drops. 
  • Could be pink eye. I had some eye issue going on that I didn't even know I had when I saw my eye doctor. I was prescribe lotemax.

She definitely needs to see a doctor.

• My husband had something that sounds similar to this one year.  Basically he was so congested that the mucous/snot from his nose was escaping through the tear ducts when he'd try to blow his nose.  The doc had him take lots of decongestant but didn't do much else.

Definitely get it checked out.

• She should go to the doctor today, not tomorrow.