Money Matters

Duggars are making tator tot casserole right now

Actually, the boys are making it since they switched chores with the girls on this episode.
Samuel Levi 2.26.06 41w - natural birth
Eli Porter 6.18.09 35.5w - natural birth
Silas Nathaniel 1.25.13 35.4w - C-section due to marginal previa - 10 days NICU

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: Duggars are making tator tot casserole right now

• image Joenali:
    MMMMMMM, I loves me some tater tot casserole.

Ick!

• if i made tatertot casserole DH would accuse me of trying to kill him for the life insurance
  • I tried it once because DH loves tator tots but he only ate one bite.
    Samuel Levi 2.26.06 41w - natural birth
    Eli Porter 6.18.09 35.5w - natural birth
    Silas Nathaniel 1.25.13 35.4w - C-section due to marginal previa - 10 days NICU

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • what else goes into this casserole?  I've never heard of it.  I think I'll stick with my rave review meatloaf.
  • my sodium levels shot up when i read the recipe.
    proof that i make babies. jack, grace, and ben, in no particular order
    image image image
  • You know what? I'm not ashamed to admit that (foodie though I may be) a tater tot casserole sounds pretty damn good. I mean it's tots, cheese and sour cream basically, right? How bad could it taste?
    image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image jenny1980:
    You know what? I'm not ashamed to admit that (foodie though I may be) a tater tot casserole sounds pretty damn good. I mean it's tots, cheese and sour cream basically, right? How bad could it taste?

i think it has cream of mushroom soup... ewww

• image hoping4septimus:

image jenny1980:
    You know what? I'm not ashamed to admit that (foodie though I may be) a tater tot casserole sounds pretty damn good. I mean it's tots, cheese and sour cream basically, right? How bad could it taste?

Ah. I don't do soup-based casseroles. I'd have to make a bechemel. ;)

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image hoping4septimus:

image jenny1980:

I think I could count on one hand the number of MMers that would not be thoroughly disgusted by the diet of myself and my entire (both sides!) extended family.  Stick out tongue

FWIW, the tator tot casserole I'm familiar with has tots, ground beef, green beans, and cream of mushroom soup. 

• The tater tot casserole creeps me out for some reason.  But we did just eat regular old tater tots for a side dish tonight!  DH loved it.  He hadn't had them in years. 
  • Tater tot casserole is actually really good. And DH makes it from the Duggar's recipe.

I am ashamed to reheat it at work, though. People always say "that smells so good" and ask what it is and saying "tater tot casserole" is embarrassing. Embarrassed

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't like it.  Dh loves it though.  He also puts ketchup on it.  Bleh.  We do ground beef, green beans, cheese, tator tots, and can of mushroom soup.  I like all those things seperately, but together it looks like throw up.

• We fry 1lb beef, add one can of cream of chicken soup (or mushroom), half can of water, two cans of green beans, bring to boil, pour in caserole dish, dump tator tots on top, cook according to tator tot directions.  MMMM!

My MIL was horrified when she first heard of it.  She was like, "we were never that poor!"  It's really not that cheap to make...

FI also eats it with ketchup.  weirdo.  I like my tator tot casserole nekid!

• that just does not sound goodIndifferent
  • OMG... the Duggar recipe is scary!!

2 lb ground turkey cooked, seasoned, drained
    3 2lb bags tater tots?
    2 cans cream of mushroom
    2 cans evaporated milk
    2 cans cream of chicken
    Brown meat & place in large cass. dish.

Cover with tater tots. Mix soup & milk together.

All of their recipes make me want to cry. Why do they eat so many prepackaged foods?... and no vegetables? How are they still alive? It seems like it would be healthier and more cost effective to have a big vegetable garden than all this Velveeta & shiit.?

• When someone said it was tots, cheese and sour cream, I thought it sounded good.

When you throw in the green beans and cream of whatever, it sounds really gross.

Don't get me wrong, I love green beans but not with tater tots.

• That is one of those recipes that never fails to make me kind of gag just thinking about it. That sounds nasty as hell.

• that sounds nasty.
    Baby Charchie born 12/22/2011
  • My mom made tator tot casserole when I was a kid.  It was totally fine.  She used ground beef mixed with cream of mushroom soup then tater tots on top and she sprinkled shredded cheese on top.   No green beans in it though--veggies were just on the side.

I think it's kind of a difference of where you came from--my parents both grew up really poor, so they were used to different foods than a lot of people and some of those things my mom still served to us. 

• There was a post on my local last week where everyone was excited to make tater tot casserole over the weekend.  (Or hot dish as they call it in MN.)  I thought they were joking at first.  They weren't.