Decorating & Renovating
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Critique my paint choices :)

and don't worry, I have my big girl panties on!

http://melissasimplelife.blogspot.com/2011/12/paint.html 

BFP #1: 3/20/10, EDD 11/22/12, DD born: 11/20/12
BFP #2: 8/26/12, EDD 5/3/12, M/C 9/4/12
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Living Simple Blog

Re: Critique my paint choices :)

• I like them!

Your daughter`s room is going to be electric though. Is that what you are going for? That 2 inch swatch of lime green is going to make you need sunglasses once there is a whole wall's worth in there. Personally I'd go much lighter with both the pink and green as it would be way too bright for my taste. But bright can be fun, so it depends on what you are looking for!

[The New Party and Entertaining Bio]
  • Thanks!  I was going for bright since all her large furniture is white, but I see what you're saying about hurting my eyes :).  I'll check out the lighter shades.
    Living Simple Blog
  • With strong colors, you have to remember that they are going to be intensified by 100000 times once they are on the wall. Always go lighter/paler than you want, because it will be brighter/bolder/darker etc. once an entire wall is covered.

I wanted a soft buttery yellow for a room in my house, and chose a super pale yellow toned cream - it looks pretty yellow now that it's on a whole room; if I had chosen a soft yellow it would have been too much for what I wanted by the time the room was painted.

[The New Party and Entertaining Bio]
  • Maybe it's just my monitor, but I don't think that green too bright.  I like it.  Note that this opinion comes from someone with a bright green dining room.   Wink
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I like the green as well.  I think a lighter shade of purple would be nice though.  I really like that recycled glass green and the kitchen colors.  My kitchen is a similar blue from Sherwin Williams, I can't remember the name, but I love it.  It made the kitchen look so much newer.  I think that dark shade of blue is gorgeous.  I originally wanted dark, but I chickened out and went light. 
  • I like everything except the green/purple for your DD's room.  I just can't get behind the 2 walls of each color thing, especially such vibrantly different colors.  And I think it makes it harder to get away with such bold colors.  It would make me feel like a circus tent, not like a calm place for a kid to sleep.

I think you will really like Topsail.  I have Sleepy Blue in my family room, which I think is the same depth of color, one chip over.  I really love it.

• I strongly dislike the paint colors for your daughter's room.  Those two colors would be nice to use as accents, but not to cover entire walls.  I'd go with one much lighter color, and then decorate with some brighter color accents.

I love the gray foyer color.  I would paint your doors and trim a cream or white.

The bedroom color is nice, as is the office color.  I also love the living room color, although I don't like accent walls.

• I like all your colors - even your DD's room but am wondering if you couldn't do green on top (maybe one shade lighter) and purple on bottom, separated by a white chair rail or a cute border that incorporates both colors?

We have similar blues in our home and I LOVE the dark one.  We have it on 4 walls in our den and it's my favorite color in the house.

ETA:  How about a border like this?   Anything blue would still work. 

http://www.cypresshomedecor.com/product_info.php?cPath=3756033_3797134&products_id=55107102&s=6a5a55335a4a1c96b711f9e1508d3f2e

• Your blog all over says things like "hopefully this will turn out."  Have you not bought samples?  You're going to paint your entire house, and invest all that time and money, in "hopefully"?  Get thee some samples!

SW does expensive and ridiculously large samples, so instead take the color chips you want to HD or Lowe's and get them to match the colors into samples for just a couple dollars.

I've tried that gray you have picked out and I remember it looking like wet concrete - not cute.  And I agree with the others who said the colors for your daughter's room will be crazy bright.  The others are nice enough, but you can't tell what they'll do unless you see them up.

• Team bright green, my dining room is Behr's Asparagus, which is very green.  I love it. 

It is slightly broken up by high furniture, 2 big windows, and a gallery wall, so it's not 100% walls of green.

Something that might also be cute, if you are shying away from the two walls of each idea is a lilac up top, the dark purple below, with a stripe of the green around the middle.  You'd need to use tape and it'd take a little longer to put on, but it could look nice but a little less in your face.  

• I like all the colors, but think you should tone down DD room colors.  The rest of your house is nice and neutral and you're in for a shocker when you open her door.

I love the border of the PP (blue edges with colored dots)!  Could you do a more muted or neutral color for the wall and use the bright colors as accents?  Then, if she happens to change her taste when as she ages, it won't be such a PITA to paint over. (IMO)

• image TarHeels&Rebels:

Your blog all over says things like "hopefully this will turn out."  Have you not bought samples?  You're going to paint your entire house, and invest all that time and money, in "hopefully"?  Get thee some samples!

We've never done samples before, so we probably should, but I like to take chances :).  I can paint over it if I don't like it; it usually only take me one day to paint an entire room.  

As far as other comments, I think the big one is DD's room.  I figured since I know they are bright.  We will definitely go back and see about lighter shades.  

One poster also said something about painting the trim white.  I should have mentioned it in the blog, but we aren't trim painters.  We really like wood trim, and I know (just like accent walls) that is not the opinion of most people.  I should have said that so you would know what would be next to the colors.  

Thank you all for your honest opinions!! 

Living Simple Blog
  • That's a lot of painting for a short period of time. And the colors need to please you (and hopefully your husband!), so enjoy them and be proud of all the work you will be putting into the project. We painted our entire house before we even moved in, so I certainly understand your plan.

However, since you have your big girl panties on, I have a comment on the blog. I was very distracted by the spelling errors I saw, I would hope that an english teacher would pay more attention!

" My last painting adventure was when my parents made their big move last year, so I am having withdrawls.  Before that, I painted ourliving room, dinning room, and bathrooms the summer I was pregnant."

At least you are consistent in your use of the word dinning.  Wink

• image lshoes32:

That's a lot of painting for a short period of time. And the colors need to please you (and hopefully your husband!), so enjoy them and be proud of all the work you will be putting into the project. We painted our entire house before we even moved in, so I certainly understand your plan.

However, since you have your big girl panties on, I have a comment on the blog. I was very distracted by the spelling errors I saw, I would hope that an english teacher would pay more attention!

" My last painting adventure was when my parents made their big move last year, so I am having withdrawls.  Before that, I painted ourliving room, dinning room, and bathrooms the summer I was pregnant."

At least you are consistent in your use of the word dinning.  Wink    

Thanks for your random comment about the one spelling error and word smush in my post, I guess.  It's a good thing I don't teach your kids, right?  Work and personal life are separate for me.  No one is perfect.  Oh, and yes, my husband picked out the colors as well.    

Living Simple Blog
  • I actually have a SW fan deck sitting on my lap right now, and I like the Melange for your daughter's room. Its not too bright. (on screen it looks way bright.)

I don't like the Indulgent with it though.  They are both the same saturation, which IMO, never looks great. And, this is just IMO, but I think doing two super-saturated colors is a little outdated. (sorry!)

(And this is coming from someone with a crazy purple/indigo nursery and green bedroom/hallway.) 

If you want the voilet /green combo, what about something fresher like the SW6834 Spangle? 

imageimage

Love the dark teal for the dining room! 

• image BunnyMendelbaum:

I actually have a SW fan deck sitting on my lap right now, and I like the Melange for your daughter's room. Its not too bright. (on screen it looks way bright.)

I don't like the Indulgent with it though.  They are both the same saturation, which IMO, never looks great. And, this is just IMO, but I think doing two super-saturated colors is a little outdated. (sorry!)

(And this is coming from someone with a crazy purple/indigo nursery and green bedroom/hallway.) 

If you want the voilet /green combo, what about something fresher like the SW6834 Spangle? 

Thanks!  I will look into the lighter shade :)

Living Simple Blog
  • image BunnyMendelbaum:

I actually have a SW fan deck sitting on my lap right now, and I like the Melange for your daughter's room. Its not too bright. (on screen it looks way bright.)

imageimage

I love this, and it's a million times better than the two bright colors together. OP -use these!