Baton Rouge Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Baton Rouge questions

Hi ladies,

I am moving to Baton Rouge at the end of January and have a bunch of questions about all of your favourites!

1. favorite grocery store:

2.  favorite place to workout

3. best places to get deals

4. other hidden secrets of Baton Rouge you would tell a newcomer about?

Thanks so much!

Re: Baton Rouge questions

• 1. Winn-Dixie

2. Bally's Fitness

3. What kind of deals? That's a VERY generic question.

4. What area? Are you looking for back roads, areas to stay away from, bars, etc?

Where are you moving from? Tell us about yourself. 

::two chest pumps and a peace sign for Jenn:: ~ MrsJudgeyPants

This is legal advice. Circa 2011
  • image cmrogerson:

Hi ladies,

I am moving to Baton Rouge at the end of January and have a bunch of questions about all of your favourites!

1. favorite grocery store: Fresh Market

2.  favorite place to workout Bally's

3. best places to get deals like clothes, food, house stuff, etc?

4. other hidden secrets of Baton Rouge you would tell a newcomer about?you will not eat at regular chain restaurants again, except for drive thru, and even then you will have a home grown place. Whenever you travel or go home nothing will compare.

Thanks so much!

• Thanks ladies,

We are moving from Canada! We already have a house in the garden district so we will be close to campus for my husband's job.

We do not have either of those groceries stores in Canada so I will need to check them out. When I was in BR in November, I went to Whole Foods and every single item was cheaper there than what we pay in Canada currently. I cannot wait to see the other grocery store prices... I have heard I will be shocked!

We also do not have a Bally's here but I will have to check it out as a gym option.

Its always good to get the insider scoop on places to go/ not go. I do not chain restaurants so that will work well for me. I did enjoy the food when I was there in November.I'm not really a fan of fried food but I love seafood!

A bit about me: I work in healthcare but also teach pilates. My husband is a university professor. I would still call us newlyweds as we got married in June. I love wine, tea, knitting (not going to work as well with the hot weather in the south!), hot yoga, and vacations. I am trying to prepare myself some the "culture shock" of living in a very different place though I do not think it will be that bad. When we were in BR in November, I absolutely loved it and was excited to move. People were very helpful and friendly and the customer service was absolutely amazing.

• Feel free to PM me, DH used to be a prof at LSU.

• 1. I love Whole Foods (especially since they really are "whole"; so fresh) but they are a bit more pricey than most of the others. There is Carter's but I wouldn't recommend them. The place I shop the most for groceries is Winn Dixie.

2. I don't workout very much but when I do I like to go to a large corporate gym. They offer so much more than little ones. Bally's like the other ladies suggested is good. Great even. Very good recommendation. :)

3. I like deals just as much as the next person but I think everywhere you go you can get some kind of deals. For clothing (I like new fashion) I shop Wet Seal (A store in the Mall of Louisiana--check this mall out when you get a chance--). They have the best sales and deals I have ever seen. I got a great shirt one time for $4. 

4. One not very hidden secret that a newcomer might not know is the traffic. OMG! Be careful of I-10/I-12 about 10 miles any direction from where they meet is just awful around 8am and 5:30/6:00pm and then construction on I-12 starts about 8pm. We are from the Hammond area and when we go to Baton Rouge we say either leave about 6am or wait till 9 because if you leave after 6:30 or 7 you will get there about when you would if you had left at 9. Marti Gras is a funtastic event. 3rd and 4th week in February. Look in the local newspaper for the Lagniappe (Lan-yap) for the itinerary for events and you'll find a schedule for the Marti gras celebrations. Unless you are brave I wouldn't go to the New Orleans festivals. But the ones around Baton Rouge or Hammond or Ponchatoula are pretty fun. Especially for kids. If you like Greek or Lebanese food there is a local restaurant called Albasha Restaurant. And if you like chicken strips, THE best place in town is Raising Cane's. If you like bbq, I would recommend Voo Doo BBQ.

PJs is a local coffee chain that amazingly enough has a pretty great wine bar and awesome coffee.

LSU is a pretty fun and inviting university and the town of Baton Rouge I think reflects that also.

I think thats it. Hope you enjoy it.

PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers Anniversary