Married Life

I think I have thrush on my tongue

I've had to take my inhaler more often than usual due to this cold, and I think it's given me thrush on the tongue. I really don't want to see a doctor for this. What home remedies do you have, ML?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: I think I have thrush on my tongue

• The only home remedy I know of is genetian violet and it turns your mouth and teeth purple. Go to the doctor for medicated mouth rinse. Nystatin i think.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Why don't you want to go to the doctor? 

If you're not sure what it is, you really should be seen.  If you are sure it is thrush, try acidophilus capsules.

When my girls were born, they both had thrush.  The ped tried treating them with nystatin and all it did was give them nasty GAS.  The only thing that cleared it up was opening acidophilius caps into their bottles. 

Good luck!

• Thanks! Maybe it isn't thrush. It's also combined with a sore throat. Maybe I'm crazy on this one. lol
  • But it has to be plain, non flavored yogurt to kill the yeast. Well, according to my MW
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I am pretty sure a hydrogen peroxide gargle should help.  Let me look around.  BRB

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Your dentist can prescribe the nystatin also if you aren't opposed to seeing him/her since you don't want to go to the doctor.  :)

Otherwise the plain yogurt is your best bet that I know of. 

imageimage

Anniversary

Lilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers
  • Okay, so I spend a lot of time on natural remedy sites because I tend to be a bigger fan of those if possible.  

Anyways, it looks like some have tried the hydrogen peroxide, but more have had success with a water and baking soda mixture.  

Both of these are going to taste like crap, but it might be worth a shot.  Normally I would say you could do an alka seltzer for the baking soda thing, but since you are pregnant and it has aspirin...   

• I failed to notice your ticker.  Since you are pregnant, the hormonal changes make it more likely that the thrush will re-appear later... in other places.  The oral candidiasis can eventually cause burning mouth and be very uncomfortable. I know you were trying to avoid it, but I would go to the doctor/dentist if you can.
    imageimage

Anniversary

• I don't mind going to the doctor, but the office hours don't jive with my work schedule and I was already off 2 days last week.
  • image JulesF84:
    I don't mind going to the doctor, but the office hours don't jive with my work schedule and I was already off 2 days last week.

See?  Like this....  http://www.ehow.com/how_5780487_rinse-peroxide-treatment-oral-thrush.html

I swear by using it for other fungal infections, so I can't see why it wouldn't work in the mouth.   

• Well, maybe one of the homeopathic solutions will work well then.  If it gets worse or if it spreads to other parts of the mouth, maybe you could go to CVS Minute Clinic?
    imageimage

Anniversary

• image Kristie33:

Okay, so I spend a lot of time on natural remedy sites because I tend to be a bigger fan of those if possible.  

Anyways, it looks like some have tried the hydrogen peroxide, but more have had success with a water and baking soda mixture.  

Both of these are going to taste like crap, but it might be worth a shot.  Normally I would say you could do an alka seltzer for the baking soda thing, but since you are pregnant and it has aspirin...   

I'm sure these are gentler home based options, but I'm lolling at baking soda and hydrogen peroxide being "natural". ;) Jules, I get thrush in my mouth a lot when I have a cold. It causes white ridges to form on the sides of my tongue and it goes away with my illness. I assume it's an immune system weakening thing?
  • image Stellasmom:
    image Kristie33:

Okay, so I spend a lot of time on natural remedy sites because I tend to be a bigger fan of those if possible.  

I'm sure these are gentler home based options, but I'm lolling at baking soda and hydrogen peroxide being "natural". ;) Jules, I get thrush in my mouth a lot when I have a cold. It causes white ridges to form on the sides of my tongue and it goes away with my illness. I assume it's an immune system weakening thing?

What isn't natural about hydrogen peroxide?  LOL  I mean, your body makes it, or the bacteria in your body makes it.  Something from nature makes it!  That is natural, dude.  Home remedies, natural remedies, whatever.  

I am assuming her medicine is inhaled steroids, which is known for causing these things.  

• Gargling/swishing with apple cider vinegar can help too. A highly acidic environment is inhospitable to thrush.

At the risk of ignoring the obvious however: what kind of inhaler are you using? If it's just albuterol or another bronchodilator, using that more often does not cause thrush. Only an inhaled corticosteroid will - and those are most effective when used consistently as scheduled, and should not be used on an as needed basis.

Disclaimer: I am not contradicting your doctor's orders, blah blah blah.

But if it's a bronchodilator, then you don't have thrush. (Or at least not thrush caused by that.)

And if it's a corticosteroid, you should probably talk to your doctor about how often he/she wants you to be taking it.

Whenever I hear Chesh's IRL name I think "Scissor" --MontereyBride
  • image ashleyatjewell:
    Well, maybe one of the homeopathic solutions will work well then.  If it gets worse or if it spreads to other parts of the mouth, maybe you could go to CVS Minute Clinic?

I don't think you know what this means.

• image +SMACE+:
    But it has to be plain, non flavored yogurt to kill the yeast. Well, according to my MW

Any yogurt with active cultures (it'll be marked on the container) should help restore the bacteria and reduce the yeast.

Good luck jules, hope it's better soon.