Entertaining Ideas
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Surprise 50th birthday party for DH

My husband is turning 50 in January and I would like to throw him a surprise birthday party. But I would like to get advice from you ladies on whether or not you think it is tacky to ask guest to bring their own alcohol. I will be inviting friends that play golf with my husband along with other friends and family. It will be a small party of about 20 people at our home. I would also like to do gag gifts for him as well but not sure if I should instead just provide alcohol and ask guest to bring a small gag gift with them or if I should just come up with gag gifts myself.

Re: Surprise 50th birthday party for DH

• Don't ask for alcohol unless people offer. 

You can ask for a small gag gift though.

• If it's close family & friends, they might offer to bring alcohol, but I wouldn't suggest they bring it.  One cool idea might be if people bring a fun photo of them with DH & tell a quick little story.  You could put the photos in an album & people could write notes/memories to DH.
  • Depends on how close everyone is, I feel with close friends and family it's ok to ask for some help.

However, alcohol for 20 people shouldn't be too much money. If you want tell your guests that you'll be providing beer, wine and softdrinks. If they want anything else they'll know to bring it themselves.

Also, I wouldn't ask them to bring gag gifts. Most people will do this on their own or bring him a real gift.

I like the idea that the previous post mentioned with a slight modification.

In advance, ask for pictures and ask each guest to send you a story of a moment or event shared with your DH.  Then have the pictures and stories printed and bound, and give this as a gift.  We did this for my grandfather's 70th, and it was such a huge hit. The stories and the pictures were hilarious.

• image SA7206:

However, alcohol for 20 people shouldn't be too much money. If you want tell your guests that you'll be providing beer, wine and softdrinks. If they want anything else they'll know to bring it themselves.

Also, I wouldn't ask them to bring gag gifts. Most people will do this on their own or bring him a real gift.

I like the idea that the previous post mentioned with a slight modification.

I agree, let people know what you are providing and if they want to bring something extra nice they can. 

Ditto on the gag gifts.  There is nothing worse than being told what to buy someone.  Espcially with this economy, don't force the gift issue.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would supply the alcohol and food myself.  However, if someone asks what they can bring.  Ask them to bring some alcohol.

I would not tell the guests to bring gag gifts.

• Yes, it is tacky to ask people to bring their own alcohol, but as many previous posts noted, most people ask what they can bring - so tell them to bring beer or wine.

If people want to bring presents, let them decide what to bring. The more you let guests decide what they want to give, the happier your guests will be (and the party will be more fun, and your husband will have a better time.)

• Actually I kind of disagree about the gag gifts... I totally see how it's not cool to tell people what to buy, but we're talking gag gifts here - just set a $5 limit and it becomes more of a game for the party than a gift requirement.  That way if people want to also get him a nice gift, they can.

I've been to several parties for big bdays (and one Xmas party) where I'm asked to bring a cheap gag gift as a joke - I never thought it was rude to be asked.  Also, a lot of times you see things that came out of people's attic or storage closet - so it didn't cost them anything at all!

52 Books in 2014??

imageimageimageimage

My sweet babies:
    imageimageimageimage

• image fivemonths:

Don't ask for alcohol unless people offer. 

You can ask for a small gag gift though.

Ditto. 

Our close friends always bring a bottle (or 12-pack of beer) to our parties.  They usually ask what specifically we need, and then we take advantage and ask for something we are low on.  I don't think it is proper, IMO, to ask to bring something.

A gag gift though is different.  That would be fine, and fun!  Party City has some fun ideas... inflatable waking cane, inflatable IV.

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers