Travel
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email help@theknot.com.

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Rome (and Florence) -Vatican Tour or other unusual tour?

I've been to rome (and the Vatican) before but haven't taken a tour of it. I've been through tripadvisor and see reviews but was wondering if anyone had a super spectacular tour guide/company for sistine chapel etc.. i'll be there again in january with my mom (who's never been) so i want to get the best guide possible for her.

any other unusual guides or tours that you've found? i would love one of wine and food.

as for florence-this will be my 3rd time there and i've never done a tour. id love to do a cooking class. any recs? i did one in tuscany 2 years ago that was outstanding but since we're not leaving florence i need one in the city.

thanks for your recs :)

Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 

Re: Rome (and Florence) -Vatican Tour or other unusual tour?

• I haven't done a private tour (too cheap/lack of motivation), but my H really likes the idea.  I do think it would be a cool way to see the Sistine chapel.  Here's the NYT's review from last year

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/01/17/travel/17culture.html?pagewanted=all

In Florence, I did a market-tour/cooking class with Florencetown (florencetown.com) and had a great experience.  It was off-season, so it was just me and my friend.  Typically, groups may be up to 6 though.

• This was a few years ago, but we booked our Vatican tour through Context Tours.  I think that it was a Rick Steves recommendation.  They're known for their very educated tour guides.  Ours was an American who had several degrees in ancient languages and I think at least one in art history -- he was very smart and passionate.

Here are the Trip Advisor reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187791-d1574365-Reviews-Context_Rome_Tours-Rome_Lazio.html

• We also did the Context Vatican tour, and it was really great.  She was incredibly knowledgeable, and I still remember a lot of the things she talked about.  It was also a small group (less than 8 people), which was nice too.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Rome-  Real taste of Rome food tour

Florence- Florencetown cooking class (same as pp)

Highly recommend both.  

• image VABeach08:

I haven't done a private tour (too cheap/lack of motivation), but my H really likes the idea.  I do think it would be a cool way to see the Sistine chapel.  Here's the NYT's review from last year

http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/01/17/travel/17culture.html?pagewanted=all

In Florence, I did a market-tour/cooking class with Florencetown (florencetown.com) and had a great experience.  It was off-season, so it was just me and my friend.  Typically, groups may be up to 6 though.

In 2008 my mom, sister, and I did the private tour with Helen at Italy With Us, the company featured in the NY Times article (I reviewed it on TripAdvisor if you check there - you can figure out which review is mine since I have almost the exact same screen name).  My mom RAVED about the tour the entire time we were in Italy - definitely was the highlight of her trip.  I thought it was incredible as well - I don't like crowds and I get really annoyed / cranky when I have to shuffle through things with a million other people, so this way was a really nice alternative.  The tour doesn't show you everything in the Vatican but definitely showed us the highlights - the Hall of Maps, the Hall of Tapestries, the apartments of Raphael, the Sistine Chapel, etc.  I'd really recommend the tour, but it's a bit of a splurge (I think it was running 250 Euro / person when we went three years ago; I'd assume it is even higher now).  Feel free to PM me if you have any questions!

• image fitzpemberley:
    We also did the Context Vatican tour, and it was really great.  She was incredibly knowledgeable, and I still remember a lot of the things she talked about.  It was also a small group (less than 8 people), which was nice too.

That's a good point too.  Our Context Vatican tour was 5 people -- us, and two parents and their teenaged son.  It was great because we all got to talk to the guide a lot and ask all of our questions.

• Thank you girls so much!!! Really appreciate the recs :)
    Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • Another vote for the Context Rome tour. Cecilia was our tour guide years ago and we thought she was great.

If you're looking for something different try the Scavi Tour. It's the tour of the necropolis under St Peters. They take a very limited amount of guests per day but it's really neat. If anyone is extremely claustrophobic I might opt out but it's not terrible.

Link here.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't have any recommendations for tours of the Vatican, but I would like to recommend a cooking class we did in Rome when we visited two months ago. We found a company called Cooking Classes in Rome (http://www.cookingclassesinrome.com/) through Trip Advisor and we had an awesome time! The class was long (5 hours) but it was all hands on and we learned so much in those 5 hours. Since I had already been to Rome, it was a lot of fun to try something completely different!
  • image +v+:

This was a few years ago, but we booked our Vatican tour through Context Tours.  I think that it was a Rick Steves recommendation.  They're known for their very educated tour guides.  Ours was an American who had several degrees in ancient languages and I think at least one in art history -- he was very smart and passionate.

Here are the Trip Advisor reviews: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g187791-d1574365-Reviews-Context_Rome_Tours-Rome_Lazio.html

I also used Context Tours and LOVED IT!  Francesca was our guide, she was fabulous, and explained so many random little things to us.  Every question we asked, she knew the answer, and took her time to explain it.  Our tour was me, DH, a couple from Seattle, and a couple from Australia. 

That tour was a splurge for us at the time, and it was worth every single penny.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Do the Vatican Scavi tour. You have to sign up months in advance and email the Vatican with the required info for them to consider you. It is an amazing tour, we loved it, you get to see St Peters tomb and also an ancient street etc. All underground St Peters.
  • image Mrsluvs2nest:
    Do the Vatican Scavi tour. You have to sign up months in advance and email the Vatican with the required info for them to consider you. It is an amazing tour, we loved it, you get to see St Peters tomb and also an ancient street etc. All underground St Peters.

I agree. This was really speacial. Info is here:  http://saintpetersbasilica.org/Necropolis/ScaviTour.htm

• Rome: We did the early tour through Walks of Italy- we were alone in the Sistene Chapel for an hour... was an amazing experience!

Another recommendation for the Scavi tour- amazing!

Florence: We did a cooking class through the Spice Lab- loved it! Maximum 4 people... we did a tour of a local market, and then cooked 5 courses on an outdoor grill (she also has an indoor kitchen).

PM me for any more info :)