Money Matters

Guess how much it costs to restring pearls

The last knot on my pearl necklace broke yesterday, taking off one pearl and one part of the clasp (which I was able to grab both before they got lost). I went to the store to see if they could fix it, but they said I'd have to get the whole thing restring and they'd give me an estimate. They want 60 dollars! I'm almost positive H only spent $60-$80 for the necklace in the first place and it came with a bracelet... 

Hopefully I can find a cheaper place, otherwise I see a DIY project in my future. 

Re: Guess how much it costs to restring pearls

• I paid 130 dollars to have my mom's strand restrung and a new gold clasp put on. 60-80 sounds spectacular.
    SO SINGS MY SOUL *WHAM!* MY SAVIOR GOD TO THEE *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!* HOW GREAT THOU ART *WHAM!*
  • That is not a bad price if it is done well.  Most places send it out to someone who does only this.  This is not somewthing I would DIY. 

He paid 60-80 for a real pearl necklace and bracelet? 

• Really? It seems outrageously expensive, considering that's about what it originally cost.
  • image cjeanette:

That is not a bad price if it is done well.  Most places send it out to someone who does only this.  This is not somewthing I would DIY. 

ty .. i was thinking the same thing.

Love - a wildly misunderstood although highly desirable malfunction of the heart which weakens the brain, causes the eyes to sparkle, cheeks to glow, blood pressure to rise and the lips to pucker - Author Unknown

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• image cjeanette:

Yeah I question this as well. $60 is cheap. My grandmothers necklace had to be cleaned and restrung and it was about $100 or so. It's super long and real and worth a ton more than $60 dollars. 

• I paid $70 to have mine redone.
  • image cjeanette:

That is not a bad price if it is done well.  Most places send it out to someone who does only this.  This is not somewthing I would DIY. 

They are cultured 

• From what I understand it's usually done by hand with a knot after each pearl.. so it doesn't sound that expensive to me.
    image"I've always followed my father's advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and, second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goddamn sure I intend to. And, third, he told me not to go around looking for trouble." -John Wayne
  • If they only cost $60 to begin with and they wanted that much or more to restring them, I would just buy a new set.
    "You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness."
  • Buy a new set?
    image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Out here if you go to a jeweler that can do it they charge about $10 per INCH for restringing.  Its done by hand and very time consuming.

If you really want to DIY search online for the GIA Pearl Stringing course materials.  They dont offer the class anymore but you might be able to find the book for sale.

Meine Welt... Meine Welt... Und die Liebe die wird rot Und der Hass schwarz wie der Tod Ich mach' das so wie's mir gef
  • I have an expensive set of pearls from DH and I, too, had to have it restrung. It was about $80, I think. Having pearls restrung isn't cheap. It's time consuming work. I think most would only bother with it if the pearls are valuable or sentimental.
  • I will admit that they charge $10-$20 per inch here.  I have very little experience with beading so I did two necklaces myself and it took me about two hours (one with two strands) that were the perfect length to be worn together. (I was given two long necklaces that I would never wear that way so I redesigned them so I could wear it as one strand to up to three strands that lid flat.) It was extreamy easy to do and the supplies can be found at any bead or craft shop. The hardest was keeping the knots perfect and using alternate strands to knot.  I would suggest trying it yourself next time.
  • Yup ... I've paid in the $50-60 range.  That's worth it for expensive pears, but you might be better off just getting a new necklace if yours didn't cost much more than that.

Kudos to you if you manage to DIY. I wouldn't have the patience or the dexterity.

• image Thistle and Rose:
    I will admit that they charge $10-$20 per inch here.  I have very little experience with beading so I did two necklaces myself and it took me about two hours (one with two strands) that were the perfect length to be worn together. (I was given two long necklaces that I would never wear that way so I redesigned them so I could wear it as one strand to up to three strands that lid flat.) It was extreamy easy to do and the supplies can be found at any bead or craft shop. The hardest was keeping the knots perfect and using alternate strands to knot.  I would suggest trying it yourself next time.

Thank goodness - I thought I was the only one who might suggest just stringing them yourself.  The supplies to do it can be bought for under $10 at any bead store.  Practice a bit with making the knots for cheap beads, and then do it.  The hardest part will be attaching the clasp.

I probably wouldn't restring real pearls, but cultured, sure...

chicagobride_07
  • Stringing pearls is a process. You can't just cut the sting the pearl is hanging on and hope that the new string will attach. You have to restring the whole piece with the same sting and there is only one good tool you can use. Its called a Tri-Cord, they use it at GIA and it will give the best results. The cost is about $80. So your much better off just buying a new necklace. $60-$80 is a great price, most places start at $150 for a basic set of same size pearls.
  • I've done it as a DIY before.  It's not hard, but it does take a couple hours, and you have to have the right supplies.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I always wonder how the most random old threads get bumped up
  • *facepalm*

This is what happens when I'm distracted at work and don't read the thread dates...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It always amazes me too how they get bumped up.  It's crazy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The Pearl Girls here in Athens,GA restrings pearls and they teach classes too. You can even mail your pearls to them to restring. They do top quality work and they employ moms who work around their children's schedules too so they are a great company to support! I did not even like pearls until I discovered The Pearl Girls! :)