Politics & Current Events

Why we're happily raising our daughter without a house

Why we're happily raising our daughter without a house

Kayla and Sunny. Photo by Kayla.

Kayla and her partner Checkers are raising their infant daughter, Sunny, in a pretty non-traditional way: the entire family is house-less. The pair have intentionally chosen to live without a home, and are happily existing together with their family (Sunny and two dogs). They may very well be a true example of free spirits: the family travels around the United States, attending Rainbow Gatherings and seeing what they can see. I asked Kayla a few questions about their paths to living without a house and what they plan for their future.

How do you define the difference between house-less and homeless?
[To us] Homeless seems more like not having a home and house-less is not having just one designated house over your head at all times. I prefer house-less because I indeed have a home whether it be in the woods, in a house, in an RV, in a car, in any state or country, anywhere. My home is Checkers and Sunny ? we don't need a house to have a home.

------------

Very long interview- click on link at top to read rest & see photos 

Re: Why we're happily raising our daughter without a house

• I'm sure this is interesting, but I can't get past the first line, especially with the picture of the dog in the background.

Kayla and her partner Checkers  

Checkers, people.  CHECKERS. 

• I want to read this when I have more time.
  • A) Checkers is fug.

B) They have no jobs and *are* homeless. Making up different words to make yourself feel better about your situation doesn't change it. Renting an apartment is technically "house-less".

C) This is why people are against govt. funding of healthcare.

• image KateAggie:

I'm sure this is interesting, but I can't get past the first line, especially with the picture of the dog in the background.

LOL!!!

• Sometimes I read articles about less-is-more types who have downsized their lives and are much happier, and I think "Maybe I should think about incorporating some of this into my life."

At no time did I think that when reading this article.  There is no part of this I want to emulate.  

• image KateAggie:

I'm sure this is interesting, but I can't get past the first line, especially with the picture of the dog in the background.

Also, when I clicked on one of the links, it took me to their blog.  The daughter's full name?  Sunshine Rae.  I shityou negative.

Little Bridey Twist, begging for a bowl of Chobani. Just like in the orphanages of yore.
  • image cee-jay:

Sometimes I read articles about less-is-more types who have downsized their lives and are much happier, and I think "Maybe I should think about incorporating some of this into my life."

At no time did I think that when reading this article.  There is no part of this I want to emulate.  

If I get another dog, I'm totally naming him Checkers. 

• image KateAggie:
    image cee-jay:

Sometimes I read articles about less-is-more types who have downsized their lives and are much happier, and I think "Maybe I should think about incorporating some of this into my life."

If I get another dog, I'm totally naming him Checkers. 

Nixon lover. :P
    Green Cleaning Recipes
    ~Be a Good Wife ~ Updated 3.30.12 - Smell Like A Dirty Hippy
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • image cee-jay:

That's what I expected to read at first too, but then....nope!! DH and I talk all the time about 'downsizing' earlier than a lot of people do (ie, we tend to see it when people are in their 50's and 60's, and we'd rather do it in our late 30's-40's to be mortgage-free) . We reallllly hate the winters here, so we toy with the idea of moving to a warmer climate and doing jobs we love instead of jobs that pay well and just adapting our lifestyles.

This to me seemed very different from that....I couldn't pinpoint it, exactly. I really do want my kid(s) to have a place to call 'home'; even if its a 1-bedroom apt. Just something secure - the idea of going car-to-car or trailer-to-trailer makes me feel uneasy. However, to each their own.  

• I'm sure this will work out well when little sunshine is 8, has no friends, no attachments, and pretty much hates life and them.

I bet they don't vax either.

Click me, click me!
  • Um yeah, they're homeless. Checkers looks like an addict and they get by on government assistance. This isn't off-the-grid living. This is homelessness. Awesome.
  • Part of my childhood found my family frequently dependent on the kindness of others for some very basic things - including housing.....and it is a miserable, scary, insecure life for a child.  I still feel its repercussions as an adult. 

I don't care what magic rainbow bullshiit this woman has spun in her mind about the life she's giving her daughter; it is a colossal mistake and makes me want to weep.

• I'm afraid to click the link, so can someone tell me WTH a Rainbow Gathering is??
  • How does a guy named Checkers get a second date unless his first name is Chubby?

Click me, click me!
  • image hindsight's_a_biotch:

I bet they don't vax either.

I was waiting for that one.  Poor Sunny has to wake up to that face (Checkers) every day.  Poor baby.

Our TTC Journey
    May 2007 - Off BCP
    Summer 2009 - Dx mostly unexplained IF, slight DOR
    IUI #1 - Feb 2010 = BFP; Missed M/C resulted in D&C (3/31)
    IUI #2 - June 2010 = BFP; Dx Severe Pre-Eclampsia 12/7, placed on hospital bedrest
    Kevin Patrick arrived 12/14/10 at 26w 4d gestation; Home on 4/21/11 after a 128 day NICU stay
  • image missusbee:
    Um yeah, they're homeless. Checkers looks like an addict and they get by on government assistance. This isn't off-the-grid living. This is homelessness. Awesome.

Maybe that was just a bad picture of Checkers??  Checkers!

Yeah, I was getting the feeling that they are just homeless, and describing it in more optimistic, hippie terms.  

• Despite their cutesy name, they're homeless.

They remind me of the young people who seemingly have nowhere to be, EVER, and just are in the way at the farmers market every week.  These people annoytheshits out of me.

image image
  • image tartaruga:
    I'm afraid to click the link, so can someone tell me WTH a Rainbow Gathering is??

The thing is, you already know. You already know.

• Okay. does anyone else find this funny?

The past few days we have been moving into our new temporary house!? Your great grandpa has moved to Florida to stay in a hospital down there and needed someone to look after his half a million dollar house and watch over his dogs.?

For a couple of people who are sooo free spirited and unmaterialistic...mighty quick and proud to tell us just how much this house is worth, huh?
  • A white girl with dreads is ALWAYS a bad sign. ALWAYS.
  • image smock.smock:
    A white girl with dreads is ALWAYS a bad sign. ALWAYS.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Click me, click me!
  • image tartaruga:
    Okay. does anyone else find this funny?

The past few days we have been moving into our new temporary house!  Your great grandpa has moved to Florida to stay in a hospital down there and needed someone to look after his half a million dollar house and watch over his dogs. 

For a couple of people who are sooo free spirited and unmaterialistic...mighty quick and proud to tell us just how much this house is worth, huh?

I was just going to post that.  Really though I think it just shows their age.  I don't mind them believing everything they do but there is also an immaturity that allows them to live that life.  Age, a baby and responsibility may very well change the way they chose to live.

• image cee-jay:

image tartaruga:
    I'm afraid to click the link, so can someone tell me WTH a Rainbow Gathering is??

The thing is, you already know. You already know.

Lolol

I am also amazed because I didn't realize this technology was available yet, but I can actually smell the body odor and patchouli when I visit that blog site.
  • image hindsight's_a_biotch:
    How does a guy named Checkers get a second date unless his first name is Chubby?

Let's be honest.  It really doesn't matter what his name is.  Because he could be named HRH William Prince of Wales and I still wouldn't let him touch my child, let alone make one with me.

• OMG!! Ewww!

Click me, click me!
  • Let's not forget that SBP's photo was taken on Checkers' 21st birthday. Happy birthday, Dad!

ETA: I should watch what I say. For all we know, we'll get trackbacked and accused of being mean and it'll be Glittergate all over again.

• image missusbee:

Let's not forget that SBP's photo was taken on Checkers' 21st birthday. Happy birthday, Dad!

ETA: I should watch what I say. For all we know, we'll get trackbacked and accused of being mean and it'll be Glittergate all over again.

This would be the best thing EVER.
  • image swimbikepuke:

image hindsight's_a_biotch:
    How does a guy named Checkers get a second date unless his first name is Chubby?

Let's be honest.  It really doesn't matter what his name is.  Because he could be named HRH William Prince of Wales and I still wouldn't let him touch my child, let alone make one with me.

great! now I'm going to have nightmares.