Travel

Rec's for dog friendly vaca spots

DH & I desperately need a vacation. But the last couple we've taken we've gone w/o our dog & we really missed him, so we're hoping to bring him along for the next one (whenever that might be..not lookin like it'll be anytime soon...). I LOVE any place that has a beach, & we'd have to drive there, we won't fly our dog. We've been to the Gulf coast of Alabama & love it...We like quiet, non touristy places...

Anyway, just looking for rec's of any dog friendly places, & activites in those places (don't have to be all dog friendly). TIA for any ideas!

*ETA: we'd be driving from western WI....about 1.5hrs East of the Cities in MN...

Cooper age 8, Taylor age 14

imageimage

Re: Rec's for dog friendly vaca spots

• We took our dogs into Manhattan for a few nights, we wanted something local for us to test how it was going away with them, as it was our first time taking them away with us. Now we take them on business trips and such. We caught the bug! It's so much better than missing them!! 

Anyway, not sure how long of a drive NYC would be for you, but I'd highly recommend Manhattan. It's very pet friendly. The hotel we stayed at was FANTASTIC. They gave us a sign to put on our door to let staff know we had pets in there. They also had our number in case of an emergency when we left. They offer pet sitting, but we just left the dogs in the room alone and they were fine. They also didn't need to be locked in cages while we left, which was important to us.

Central Park is nice to walk around and spend time with your dog. Then, there are fun things to do with just you two. I have info about our trip here: http://bellebride116.blogspot.com/2011/06/successful-getaway-with-dogs.html

• until i met DH (who has asthma & allergies), my mom used to bring our dog to visit me in NYC all the time. she loooooved central park! one of my favorite photos of her is actually on the staten island ferry. i don't know which hotels are the most pet-friendly since we stayed at my apartment but a lot of the kimpton hotels welcome dogs. 

you could also go to the kimpton website, see which hotels are pet friendly and go from there.  

• I second Kimpton Hotels.  They are pet friendly, and unlike many pet-friendly hotels, no size restrictions. There are several locations in many cities - NYC, Boston, DC, Chicago, etc.

For more outdoorsy trips, we've taken our dog to the mountains and had a great time.  Many cabin/cottage rentals are pet friendly, and we've also found pet-friendly b&bs near both Charlottesville and Lexington, VA - plenty of hiking with our dog in the surrounding Blue Ridge Mountains.  I prefer taking ours along on this type of vacation rather than a city trip, because it's less likely there will be other non-pet-friendly things I want to do that would require me to leave him in the hotel (museums, nice restaurants, etc.)

• Holiday Inn is pet-friendly (worldwide, I believe).  While the hotels are typically pretty basic, we've stayed w/ our dog and had no problems/complaints.

Also, I think this site is useful:  http://www.petfriendlytravel.com/

• The Lowe's hotels are pet friendly, so, that means the hotels at Universal Studio are dog friendly.  There aren't a lot of beaches that are dog friendly on the southern east coast. Your best bet is South Carolina before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.  Then they are pretty liberal with letting the dogs be on the beach at any time.  Some of the North Carolina beaches allow dogs too like Top Sail.  

On our last trip with our small dog, we stayed at a Hotel Indigo.  It was fantastic!  We did have to pay a one time fee for her, but that was it.   

• check out vrbo.com

We found a GREAT house when we took R skiing.

• How long are you hoping to drive?  I like the recommendation of Chicago and the pet friendly hotels there, I have never been to New York at Christmas, but I have been to Chicago when its all decorated and its beautiful!  Another recommendation though its probably quite cold would be like Traverse City MI or Mackinaw (not sure on the spelling) island in MI as well. 
  • Look into Kimpton Hotels and go from there. We travel with our dog constantly and have been loving Chicago! We did the hotel Palomar last Nov, hotel Allegro this summer and are doing hotel Monaco in a few weeks. They are all Kimpton hotels and we love them and so does our pup
    Congrats to my TTC buddy Madeline! Cheering for all the strong 3T ladies! 

TTC since March 2012; DX: PCOS 4/2013 
    BFP 7/6/2013; EDD 3/6/2014 
    Diagnosed with Pre-E: 2/15/201
    Emergency induction: 2/16/2014
    Baby E born: 2/16/2014 at 12:56pm. 5lb 15oz

• We've taken our dog hiking with us in both WI and IL. Both times in the fall to really soak in the beautiful color. 

Dogfriendly.com is a great website to use to find hotels and dog-friendly parks. 

• If you head to NC - Topsail Island is dog-friendly, and not touristy.  We took our 2 GSPs there last year (twice) and rented a house on the beach.  They loved it!