Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

we found our lost cat, a few questions..

Hello,

Our cat got out of the house a few weeks ago.  He has always been an inside cat, NEVER been outside and got out of the house about three weeks ago.  We thought someone had picked him up or he got hit by a car.  We were out trick or treating tonight and we found him!  He was VERY skinny and VERY skiddish.  We brought him home and put him in the laundry room with his bed, toys, food, water and litter box.  He ate TONS and has been sleeping since we brought him home.  We are glad to have him home!

Now what???  He is super scared of everything.  I want to check him out to make sure he has no fleas or injuries, and take him to the vet.  I also want to make sure that he will not bite my two kids when he is out and about.  Any suggestions on how to get him re-acquainted with being around the family?  Will he ever adjust to being an inside cat again??

Any advice would be great!  Thanks!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers image image

Re: we found our lost cat, a few questions..

• I'm sure he will readjust, he probably just needs some time to rest and get over what happened. I once took in a stray that a neighbor had abandoned when they moved, and the cat did nothing but eat and sleep for at least the first 24 hours. Just leave him be for awhile and let him readjust to the peace =)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • That's great that you found him. Ditto what pp said. Just give him some time to rest & relax. He's probably been super stressed for the past 3 weeks. I'd try to get him to the vet ASAP though.
    PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Last winter, after we moved, our cat ran away for almost a month.  He finally found his way home, skinny and scared, just like yours.  He ate so much food at first too.  Within a few weeks, he had put all his weight back on, and was mostly the same.  Within a few months, you would have never known he was lost.  Definitely take him to the vet, and re-acquaint him with the kids slowly, so he's not overwhelmed and acts out.  Good luck, and I'm so happy he came home!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm sure he will be fine.  Heck, several of my cats lived on the street for years before we got them and love being inside cats!  I'd keep him confined to a safe room for a little while then let him out to explore gradually, for example at night when everyone is sleeping.  Make sure to approach him slowly, let him come to you, and reward him with lots of treats, pets and kind words.  You can also try a Feliway diffuser or rescue remedy in his water to take the edge off for awhile while he adjusts.
    image "...Saving just one pet won't change the world...but, surely, the world will change for that one pet..."