Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Please recommend your flea/tick control...and food!

I tried to search the board for related posts but it wouldn't let me.

I need to find a flea/tick preventative for Cooper and have been reading some not-so-great things about spot-on pesticide treatments such as Frontline, Advantage, etc...however I don't know if these are exaggerated or what. What do you all use?

We took him to his first vet appointment today and found he is actually 6 months old, not 4, and that he has a case of demodectic mange...poor guy, at least he has not been itchy, just some minor hair loss. Hopefully he'll recover quickly and get that hair growing back in! Thankfully he has no sores/scabs or anything like that.

ETA: We have slowly made the transition to feeding him Blue Life Protection Fornula puppy food...it seems to be one of the healthier food options but I'd love to hear any opinions on this as well. 

PersonalMilestone Anniversary

Re: Please recommend your flea/tick control...and food!

• We use Frontline for flea/tick control. We feed Taste of the Wild, which I think is an All Life Stages food (my dogs are 3 and 6 years old). 
  • We didn't use flea and tick preventative on G&E this summer for various reasons, but have used Frontline on both dogs before without any issues.  And they eat Nature's Domain Turkey and Sweet Potato (grain free)...it's basically Costco's grain free store brand food.  While its not the best food out there, it's a good food, it agrees well with both my dogs' tummies (and bodies in general) and its great on the wallet ($30 for a 35 lb bag).
  • I use neem oil for f/t protection since fleas in my area are immune to Frontline. Taste of the Wild is a great all life stages food, and their Pacific Stream formula is even good for large breed puppies.  Our dogs love it! :)
    image image
  • We use K9 advantix for the dog and frontline for the kitty. Our dog also gets Taste of the Wild and kitty gets Weruva right now. We will find out on friday if this helped his urine crystals. 
  • My pup is raw fed, but the other girls have the good foods covered already.

We used one application of Frontline Plus on Zoey over the summer, because she was just picking up way too many fleas from the neighbor's dog for the Sentinel to take care of (Sentinel stops the reproduction cycle, but doesn't kill the adult flea, and I wanted those suckers dead!). I'm looking into using K9 Advantix in the future because our mosquito population has gone insane this past year; if it's similar next year, I want to try and save her all those bites!

image image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since July 2012
    BFP #1: 11/9/13; spontaneous m/c at 6w2d, 11/25/13
    BFP #2: 12/31/13. B/w 12/31: betas >1000, progesterone 13.6; B/w 1/2: betas 3065, progesterone 10.2
    B/w 1/8: betas 17,345, progesterone 25.6
    Progesterone suppositories started 1/2. Please stick, baby!!
    Fiona Elise born 9/9/14 - welcome beautiful girl!
    Badge Unicorn
  • Products like Frontline and Advantix are really the only products that truly get rid of fleas on your pet. I've tried the cheaper stuff from Target or Wal-Mart thinking I would save money and solve the problem. Not even close! Never seen any adverse side effects from using Frontline or Advantix either.
  • image marlina10:
    Products like Frontline and Advantix are really the only products that truly get rid of fleas on your pet. I've tried the cheaper stuff from Target or Wal-Mart thinking I would save money and solve the problem. Not even close! Never seen any adverse side effects from using Frontline or Advantix either.

Thank you (and everyone else!) for the replies. I was reading about products like Frontline being "poisonous" and "shortening your pets lifespan" on a few websites...but I'm pretty sure these are the same type of people who think we should all be on raw food diets and living in grass huts. I mean I am all for the all-natural, alternative therapies, but only to a certain extent. Some times we, and our pets, NEED medication. I think I will continue with Frontline as that is what he was given previously and no side effects were reported to me. Thanks again! 

PersonalMilestone Anniversary