Pets
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Theres a cat on my portch! What do I do?

There's a little cat sitting on my portch. He's very friendly and has even tried to come in to the house twice now. I'm fairly certain he belongs to someone since he has a flea collar and looks well fed. But he doesn't seem inclined to leave. He's been there for the last 30 min or so. He just layed down on the mat and closed his eyes.

We haven't been able to scare him off. Neither have our cats who are about to loose their minds. I've posted him as "lost" on the community message board so I'm hoping someone will come fetch him. I'd let him sit if he was making my cats flip out. Any suggestions?

Team Basement Cat image Knitting&Kitties

Re: Theres a cat on my portch! What do I do?

• Let him in, and take him to a vet/AC/HS tomorrow to scan for a microchip? He might've gotten out of someone's house. Especially since tomorrow is Halloween, I wouldn't want to leave a cat outside.
    image image
  • Can you keep the kitty safe in a small bathroom for the night and take it to a vet in the morning to check for a chip?

If he were my kitty, I know I'd greatly appreciate someone letting him stay for a bit.

• There's no way H will agree to letting a strange cat in. I don't have a free room with a door to put him in anyway.

I wish he had tag so I could call his humans. :(

• Do you have a garage? Even that would be okay for the night. I would be a mess if one of my cats got out. 

Otherwise, maybe go around to your immediate neighbors and see if the cat belongs to them? 

• ]

;.  I might have a lead on his people! *crosses fingers*

I can't believe he's still chilling on my portch. I wonder why he decided this was the place to be?

• Indeed take him in. See what happens --- see if he's got a microchip.

Last year during the real hot July, I had a cat for awhile.:) She had to be somebody's cat --- she took up residence on the nice cool stone between my garage and a neighbor's garage, just to get out of the heat.

She stayed for a week, then moved on. I named her Popsickle.:)
  • The little guy hung out on my porch for almost three hours before his person came to fetch him.  He didn't seem to think it was a big deal that his cat was trying to move into my house. He shrugged and said "he likes to roam." I kinda wish I'd been able to talk H into letting me take him in.

• image meshaliu:

The little guy hung out on my porch for almost three hours before his person came to fetch him.  He didn't seem to think it was a big deal that his cat was trying to move into my house. He shrugged and said "he likes to roam." I kinda wish I'd been able to talk H into letting me take him in.

That is so frustrating.

Thanks for trying to help the poor kitty!