Politics & Current Events

f/u: Is Cheap Chocolate Frosting Healthier Than Nutella?

Is Cheap Chocolate Frosting Healthier Than Nutella?

21 comments Is Cheap Chocolate Frosting Healthier Than Nutella?

?Would you put chocolate frosting on your bread in the morning?? is the question Marie Allard asked readers in her nutrition column in Canada?s largest French language newspaper, La Presse. It turns out, a spoonful of cheap store brand chocolate frosting has fewer calories, half the fat and less sugar than the same quantity of Nutella.

It is no secret to most people that Nutella is not as healthy as the company claims it is. In its television commercials, Nutella claims that ?Every jar has wholesome quality ingredients like hazelnuts, skim milk and a hint of delicious cocoa. And Nutella has no artificial ingredients or preservatives.? San Diego mother Athena Hohenberg is taking Ferrero (the company that owns the Nutella brand) to court over its nutritional claims, which conveniently don?t talk about the first two ingredients in the product ? namely, sugar and palm oil.

Chocolate Frosting vs. Nutella By The Numbers

Inspired by Marie Allard?s column, I headed out to a supermarket close to my work and compared the store brand No Name chocolate frosting with Nutella. For one tablespoon of chocolate indulgence, here is how they compared:

• Calories: Frosting has 75, Nutella has 100
  • Fat: Frosting has 3 grams, Nutella has 6 grams (double!)
  • Saturated Fat: Frosting has 1 gram, Nutella has 2 grams (double again)
  • Sodium: Frosting has 38 milligrams, Nutella has 5 milligrams
  • Sugar: Frosting has 8 grams, Nutella has 11 grams
  • Calcium: Frosting has 1% of daily needs, Nutella has 2%
  • Iron: Frosting has 3% of daily needs, Nutella has 2%

Looking at this list, Nutella is, on the whole, significantly less healthy than cheap store brand. It has double the fat and saturated fat and it has more sugar.  The only factor where Nutella is significantly better is on sodium.  Even in terms of nutrients there isn?t a significant difference. Nutella has slightly more calcium than the frosting and the frosting has slightly more iron than Nutella.

Are Chocolate Spreads from Other Brands Any Better?

On the way back, I stopped at the organics store to see if the brands there are any better. They had a German brand (Rapunzel Samba) and a Belgian brand (Sav?r). Both of those ones had more calories and more fat than Nutella, but also had less sugar. In her column, Marie Allard also compared Nutella with some other brands, including the President?s Choice brand which had 1 gram less sugar and 1 gram less fat than Nutella, but was essentially a similar product. She also looked at the bananas and chocolate spread of a Canadian company called Premi?re Moisson and determined that it was the best option, with fewer calories and more natural ingredients.

What Goes on Your Toast?

Interestingly, the chocolate frosting was also less than half the price of Nutella. So, if you must indulge in a combination of palm oil, sugar and cocoa, the chocolate frosting may be the better option for your wallet and your waistline. Ultimately, however, neither of them really makes up part of a healthy breakfast.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/is-cheap-chocolate-frosting-healthier-than-nutella.html#ixzz1bBFMSseF
The Girl is 5. The Boy is 2. The Dog is 1.

image image

I am the 99%.

Re: f/u: Is Cheap Chocolate Frosting Healthier Than Nutella?

• Please, nutella is like over the counter antidepressants.

YWIA!

Click me, click me!
  • LOVE THIS.

Every time I see the Nutella commercial, I think of this board.  And then I think, "why the fvck haven't they pulled that yet?"  And then I get jealous that that plaintiff did not come to me first.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

• Nutella is probably regretting the day they embarked on a marketing campaign to paint themselves as a healthy option for breakfast.  
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • La la la I can't hear you!!
  • mmmm, chocolate frosting for my toast....yummmmmmm!
  • Nutella is basically frosting in my book (delectable, but not a healthful food... possibly not even food), but the ingredients are different, and significantly so:
    Nutella:
    sugar, plam oil, hazelnuts, cocoa, skim milk, whey, lecithin, vanillin
    Frosting (betty crocker chocolate):
    sugar, partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oil, water, high maltose corn syrup, corn starch, alkalized cocoa powder (plus a remaining <2% of other stuff)

Whether Nutella is healthful or not, the source of the fats, sugars, etc. makes a difference; nutella has fewer ingredients and those it is made of are less sketchy than the frosting option.  Of course, i chose a brand/variety of frosting whose ingredients i could look up online, but i'm willing to bet the generic frosting has roughly the same ingredients as the one i found.

Vanillin is an artificial flavor, though (it even says so in the ingredient list), but the article says that commercials for Nutella claim it has no artificial flavors.  Hmmm.

EDD 9/24/13 BabyFetus Ticker
    Best sound ever: baby's heartbeat! (Heard @ 10w1d)
  • uh.  I may, or may have not, spread frosting on hot toast and had a deliciously sugary treat.  ::shifty eyes:: 

• Is it bad that my first thought is: Ew.  That is why I make my own frosting.  I'm sure it is worse for you than nutella. (baking chocolate, sugar, perhaps eggs or cream, depending) None of the crappy preservatives, but more fat and sugar :-p
  • But the canned  frosting is full of all sorts of artificial crap--I was shocked when I read the ingredients in the store a couple of weeks ago when I was contemplating buying instead of making frosting.  I wouldn't consider that "healthier."

And yes, Nutella has a lot of sugar, but it also has nuts, which are very calorie dense, so I'm not surprised that it has more calories than frosting.

• image dirtyred:

And yes, Nutella has a lot of sugar, but it also has nuts, which are very calorie dense, so I'm not surprised that it has more calories than frosting.

Ditto this. And the article didn't address the protein content... I regrettably don't have Nutella in the house, but what's the protein in a serving?

I'm not saying it's a healthy choice, but comparing it to frosting is a bit much.

• Calories: Frosting has 75, Nutella has 100 Peanut butter has 95
    • Fat: Frosting has 3 grams, Nutella has 6 grams Peanut Butter has 8g
    • Saturated Fat: Frosting has 1 gram, Nutella has 2 grams PB has 1g
    • Sodium: Frosting has 38 milligrams, Nutella has 5 milligrams PB has 65
    • Sugar: Frosting has 8 grams, Nutella has 11 grams PB has 0.5g
    • Calcium: Frosting has 1% of daily needs, Nutella has 2% PB has 1%
    • Iron: Frosting has 3% of daily needs, Nutella has 2% PB has 2%

• image dirtyred:

But the canned  frosting is full of all sorts of artificial crap--I was shocked when I read the ingredients in the store a couple of weeks ago when I was contemplating buying instead of making frosting.  I wouldn't consider that "healthier."

I think this points to the pitfalls of paying too much attention to nutrition data vs. food quality, which is much more important, imo. 

A supremely shiitty faux food could be fortified, calorie and fat-reduced and made to look "good" as far as the nutrition data goes, but in reality it's highly processed and barely contains any whole ingredients with their nutrients intact. Conversely, a highly nutritious whole food could look "bad" because oh noes, it has lots of calories! And fat! And cholesterol!

I could make a more healthy nutella with unrefined palm oil, properly prepared nuts and a good quality high cacao content chocolate and it would still look pretty bad next to the frosting in terms of calories and fat (albeit with less sugar). But there's no way I would touch canned frosting over my homemade stuff for a treat.

• FYI, here's betty crocker chocolate frosting, which can't be too far off from the generic stuff above. A far cry from stuff like butter or nuts:

• image mr+ms:
    FYI, here's betty crocker chocolate frosting, which can't be too far off from the generic stuff above. A far cry from stuff like butter or nuts:image
    Yup, that's the same one i referenced.  Mmm, partially hydrogenated oils.
    EDD 9/24/13 BabyFetus Ticker
    Best sound ever: baby's heartbeat! (Heard @ 10w1d)
  • oh, this reminds me, has anyone else seen the nutella/yogurt fruit dip recipe that is making the rounds on Pinterest?

it's for fruit so it's healthy, right? right???!!!