Decorating & Renovating

AW: My DIY Acorn Wreath, P'sIP

I had to AW my DIY acorn wreath! :)

Re: AW: My DIY Acorn Wreath, P'sIP

• Super cute!  I want to make one of those so badly.
  • omg, that must've taken a ton of acorns!  I was amazed how many my cork wreath took, and corks are ~twice as big! 
  • Very pretty.  I am not a wreath fan in general, but I love the simplicity and elegance of your wreath.

I had not realized that acorns kind of look like Milk Dud candies, but they do.  It reminded me of the time a friend convinced another friend that someone had lost a wood bead necklace at the movies, and it turned out to be Milk Duds and a piece of string on the floor...at Christmas that year, one gave the other a matching set of Milk Dud earrings and a necklace. lol

• Wow! That looks awesome! How long did it take you to make it?
    our beautiful girls!
    Kylie born 2/08. Alexandra born 10/09.

• Holy cow! That's awesome. I also thought it was chocolate at first. :)
  • That's beautiful..and looks like a giant PITA to glue together!
  • image TheBridesMom:

Very pretty.  I am not a wreath fan in general, but I love the simplicity and elegance of your wreath.

I had not realized that acorns kind of look like Milk Dud candies, but they do.  It reminded me of the time a friend convinced another friend that someone had lost a wood bead necklace at the movies, and it turned out to be Milk Duds and a piece of string on the floor...at Christmas that year, one gave the other a matching set of Milk Dud earrings and a necklace. lol

haha, yes they do look like milk duds!

• image bim38106:
    Wow! That looks awesome! How long did it take you to make it?

Thanks!  From start to finish (including finding the acorns, washing them, baking them, gluing them on and spraying it with a clear coat) it took a few days..but the actual gluing the acorns to the wreath probably only took an hour or so.

• image dairygirl19:
    That's beautiful..and looks like a giant PITA to glue together!

haha, it actually wasn't too bad!  it was more of a PITA to find the acorns and pry the little "acorn caps" off of the ones that still had them.

But it is insane how heavy the wreath is!  I am praying that it is not going to come crashing down and bust into a million crushed little acorn pieces! ;)

• I love how shiny it is - great job!
  • image dec13th:
    I love how shiny it is - great job!

Thanks!  I used clear acrylic gloss coating spray to give it a little extra shine, and it makes it water-resistant too! :)

• I love it!! Your local acorns are so much cuter than ours! They are so round and adorable!

I would love to make one of those, but our acorns are ugly. We have a giant oak in our front yard and the acorns are usually split open and they have bugs in them and they look like this, long and pointy. 

What was the reason you baked them? 

• image Gem11:

I love it!! Your local acorns are so much cuter than ours! They are so round and adorable!

I would love to make one of those, but our acorns are ugly. We have a giant oak in our front yard and the acorns are usually split open and they have bugs in them and they look like this, long and pointy. 

What was the reason you baked them? 

Thanks!  That's too bad that your acorns are kinda pointy like that!  (haha, that sounded kinda dirty)...Anyway, I had to bake them at 350 degrees for 15 minutes just to make sure to kill any creepy critters that might have been living inside of them. 

• That looks great!
    image Gem11:
    I love it!! Your local acorns are so much cuter than ours! They are so round and adorable!

I bet you could still make a nice-looking wreath.  Instead of having them all point the same way as OP did, you could alternate which way the pointy end goes in each row (clockwise one row, counter-clockwise the next), which would leave minimal gaps and be nicely symmetrical.

ETA: wording

EDD 9/24/13 BabyFetus Ticker
    Best sound ever: baby's heartbeat! (Heard @ 10w1d)
  • That turned out great!
    Happiest place on Earth!
  • That's great. I have a bunch of acorns I saved last year with the intention of making a wreath. You just inspired me to make one now.