What's Cooking?

canned diced green chilies - what kind of pepper are these?

This may be a silly question, but what kind of pepper is used for diced green chilis that come in a can? You know, like these?

And how are they cooked? I'm thinking roasted? Basically I am wondering what the DIY version is, to avoid the BPA and sodium that comes along with canned goods.

Re: canned diced green chilies - what kind of pepper are these?

• an even sillier question: what does the ingredient list say?
    Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • I'm not sure exactly what kind they are, but I usually sub roasted poblanos for them without problems.  And I found Hatch green chiles at my grocery store the other day, so those might be available right now where you are too.  They would be great as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image alithebride:
    an even sillier question: what does the ingredient list say?

I haven't checked like every single brand but I did look once at some I had at home and I believe it just said "chile peppers" which sounds too generic to me! Aren't there many different kinds?!

• I've bought diced Hatch chiles before but I don't know if they are always used as "diced green chiles".  From what I understand, Hatch chiles are in season right now so you could roast, dice, and freeze them. 
  • I use roasted jalapenos in place of the canned green chiles. 

ETA: because we grow them in our garden and almost always have them on hand or in the freezer.

• Authentic = Hatch green chiles.  (otherwise, probably anaheim)  But the official season is over (August/Sept).

Yes, you can absolutely DIY if you buy them in season (and you live somewhere where you can even get them!)  We're lucky that NM is just next door to Texas, so a lot of the stores have Hatch festivals where they bring in truck loads.  My freezer is STOCKED for the winter.  I don't know how many pounds we bought. 

BridgetMc is a great New Mexico green chile resource!  Smile  My family is all from NM so it's in my blood.  We add them to everything - had them last night in tortilla soup! 

These are already roasted, but you can order some online:

http://www.biadchili.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=33

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Silly question, how are you prepping peppers before freezing? Do you roast them, or freeze them fresh? Diced? Are fresh hatch green chilis mild like what's in the can, or do they become more mild after roasting? Thanks!
  • I typically do something like anaheim peppers, or a combo of poblano & jalapenos.
  • image BensBabe823:

image alithebride:
    an even sillier question: what does the ingredient list say?

I haven't checked like every single brand but I did look once at some I had at home and I believe it just said "chile peppers" which sounds too generic to me! Aren't there many different kinds?!

yes-which makes me think that its a mix of many different kinds.

Friday, December 28 2012. The day I had emergency appendix surgery in Mexico and quit smoking. Proof that everything has a good side!! DH and I are happily child-free!! No due date or toddler tickers here!! my read shelf:
    Alison's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
  • image BensBabe823:
    Silly question, how are you prepping peppers before freezing? Do you roast them, or freeze them fresh? Diced? Are fresh hatch green chilis mild like what's in the can, or do they become more mild after roasting? Thanks!

Roasted (purchased roasted), peeled, de-seeded (?), then laid flat.  I portion them into 4 oz. servings (like the can) so it's easier for me to use in recipes that ask for canned.  Foodsaver vaccum.  Defrost then dice.

Not sure about how they change w/ roasting... they come labeled hot or mild.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker