Decorating & Renovating

How to clean/refresh vintage basketweave bathroom floor tile

Google has been less then helpful.  Funny enough, this post from YHL came up, http://www.younghouselove.com/2008/03/bathroom-breakthrough/

and they have the same tile I do - and, I guess the same issue I have... how do you "brighten up" tiles like this?  I am unfamiliar with the method they use, using peroxide...Has anyone else done this?  Do you just dump it in a spray bottle, spray it on, let it soak over night, and then scrub it with more the next day? 

Thanks!

Re: How to clean/refresh vintage basketweave bathroom floor tile

• Is your tile marble or ceramic like theirs?  If it's marble you should not use peroxide on it as it does not have a neutral pH. 
  • It is ceramic tile, basically identical to theirs.
  • Well never mind then.  : )  Sorry I don't have any experience using peroxide on tile.  Let us know how it turns out. 
  • Peroxide you get from the store is like 3%, I would think that sprayed on would help clean it and be safe.  You would probably have to leave it for a little while depending on how the tile looked.  Just try it on one tile at the edge to see if it works.  If it is uneven, I would spray on, then wipe around for a more uniform look.  Follow everything up with some clean water to wipe off the peroxide. 

You can also lighten grout (not tiles) by using a Tide bleach pen and "drawing" along the lines. 

Are you united with the CCOKCs?

• We've done that.  40% peroxide is great stuff.  FWIW, I am pretty sure you can also get the heavy duty stuff at most non-chain pharmacy stores (or a place like Medicine Shoppe)

The grout is another story.  I don't know what the stuff in our old house was made of, but it resisted every possible effort for cleaning, including bleaching.  We ended up leaving it, but it (honestly) looked pretty gray and dingy, especially against the fresher/cleaner tile.

• image mrs.jacinthe:

We've done that.  40% peroxide is great stuff.  FWIW, I am pretty sure you can also get the heavy duty stuff at most non-chain pharmacy stores (or a place like Medicine Shoppe)

The grout is another story.  I don't know what the stuff in our old house was made of, but it resisted every possible effort for cleaning, including bleaching.  We ended up leaving it, but it (honestly) looked pretty gray and dingy, especially against the fresher/cleaner tile.

Not to sound like a total moron, but when you say "We've done that" what exactly do you mean?  What is the method, or process, for cleaning with the 40% peroxide, exactly? 

Sorry to make you dumb it down even more, but I really have no freakin clue what I  am supposed to do with this stuff....

• Cleaned the tile with peroxide.  We actually used the same method referred to in the YHL post.  Apply it (we used a sponge), let it soak/dry overnight, then scrub it off in the morning (with water and another sponge.)

It cleans the tile but didn't touch the grout (which is actually what I was HOPING for).  But hey, the tile was cleaner.  LOL

• That is exactly what I am looking to do!  Thank you!!