Decorating & Renovating

Poll: Washer/Dryer, elevated or not

Which do you prefer:

A.  Washer/Dryer on the floor under a countertop that can be used as a folding area similar to the following:

B.  Washer/Dryer on a pedestal like the following:

Another question:  Why do you prefer one over the other?

[Poll]

Re: Poll: Washer/Dryer, elevated or not

• I can't even.

Laundry in my house happens in a dank area of the basement that looks thusly:

and lacks both storage and folding space.  I can't even really process the relative merits of two that are so bright and pretty and potentially useful.

• image Susie Derkins:

I can't even.

and lacks both storage and folding space.  I can't even really process the relative merits of two that are so bright and pretty and potentially useful. 

The first one, it's gorgeous!

But I agree with you. Mines in a basement. I have to keep the lids shut or spiders crawl in!  I would love to have either of those designs. 

The pups!
  • image Susie Derkins:

I can't even.

and lacks both storage and folding space.  I can't even really process the relative merits of two that are so bright and pretty and potentially functional.

Sorry.  Something like that was what came to mind when our contractor recommended to have the laundry room in the basement.  lol.

• LOL Susie! So true.

I prefer elevated because I naturally tend to fold clothes everywhere and anywhere but the laundryroom. Usually I put away as I go from room to room or do it on the kitchen table. I don't want to be trapped in my laundry room 8 seconds longer than necessary and I have a nice laundry room.

Therefore, I'm not bending over to fish clothes out of the back of the dryer if I don't have to.

• I'm SS. I prefer elevated, but with a surface on top so I can have pretty glass jars with powdered detergent and such.

I don't and wouldn't ever fold in the laundry room.

• Hmmm...  Maybe I should have not added pictures.  lol.  I'm trying to figure out which is more functional, not which looks better. 

I've heard B is great for your back.  But I like A for having a folding area.

• image dairygirl19:

LOL Susie! So true.

I prefer elevated because I naturally tend to fold clothes everywhere and anywhere but the laundryroom. Usually I put away as I go from room to room or do it on the kitchen table. I don't want to be trapped in my laundry room 8 seconds longer than necessary and I have a nice laundry room.

Therefore, I'm not bending over to fish clothes out of the back of the dryer if I don't have to.

I definitely like the idea of not bending over to fish for clothes!

• image stephm0188:

I'm SS. I prefer elevated, but with a surface on top so I can have pretty glass jars with powdered detergent and such.

I don't and wouldn't ever fold in the laundry room.

That sounds interesting.

Right now, I do all the folding in the laundry room.  Sad  There's just nowhere else for me to do it on the first floor.  I definitely hate it that all BRs are on the 2nd floor but the laundry is on the main floor.

• I voted for elevated, because it's easier on the back.  

I would love a counter, but I am pretty sure that it would turn into storage for mounds of clean laundry, rather than a place to fold it.  We have a problem with horizontal surfaces. Stick out tongue

Now if it was something for hanging clothes or even drying clothes flat....I would be all over that.

• I like B, because it's easier on my back. (I'm tall on top of having a bad back, double whammy against set-up A.)

Also, ditto pp - I usually fold in front of the tv, not hanging out by the washing machine.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have done my front loaders each way. I much prefer the pedestals since they W/Ds sit sooooo low and it is hard to load/unload the laundry otherwise. That said, I would never pay $200 per pedestal; that is highway robbery on a hardly functional item. I was fortunate to get both of mine on sale at Lowes for about $150 total after everything.
    After 31 cycles and two losses, we've been blessed with a healthy baby girl!
    Congrats to both of my amazing TTC Buddies, tdmd09 and sb2006!!
    Life of Amberley
  • I'm all about the folding surface.

If I don't fold the clothes the second the come out of the dryer they don't get folded at all.  which means I need a work surface.  I can imagine that the elevated woudl be nice, but I don't see myself really using the storage underneath and it just seems like a lot of wasted space.

Oh...and I can I participate in the pity my laundry area olympics?

Because mine looks like this...

there's framing around it now, those dangling electrical lines are cleaned up, and the HWH and utility sink are gone - but otherwise it's still in the middle of the construction area and typically has a bunch of tools, rags and assorted other construction materials on top of it and there is always saw dust or drywall dust or some nails or who knows what else all over the floor.

And MH wonders why he never has any clean socks these days.

• I wish I had a nice laundry room. Eventually. Maybe. Mine is in the basement too.

I would LOVE a folding table on top - however, I LOVE my top loader washing machine and would never give that up, plus we've got the sink in between the washer and the dryer so... 

I would go for the folding table if that's where you fold clothes the most. 

image Oops, I got into Dad's hair goop. At least I gotta mohawk! My Blog Updated: March 2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am building a pedestal for mine.  I'm short with back problems so its nice to be able to get into the machines easily. 

Also the manual for my dryer said to not mount it under a countertop.  Not sure if this is for heat/air circulation issues, or vibration.  It wasn't a concern for me so I didn't look into it any more. 

We hang all of our clothes if at all possible so folding space isn't a concern. We are planning to put a small counterspace next to the utility sink opposite the w/d for folding towels and things like that. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

My Blog!
  • image emjacobs13:

I am building a pedestal for mine.  I'm short with back problems so its nice to be able to get into the machines easily. 

Also the manual for my dryer said to not mount it under a countertop.  Not sure if this is for heat/air circulation issues, or vibration.  It wasn't a concern for me so I didn't look into it any more. 

We hang all of our clothes if at all possible so folding space isn't a concern. We are planning to put a small counterspace next to the utility sink opposite the w/d for folding towels and things like that. 

Good to know about not mounting under a countertop.  I never read manuals.  LOL.  I would check it out if we decide to do A.

How big is the counterspace you are adding?

• image d0ri:
    image emjacobs13:

I am building a pedestal for mine.  I'm short with back problems so its nice to be able to get into the machines easily. 

Good to know about not mounting under a countertop.  I never read manuals.  LOL.  I would check it out if we decide to do A.

How big is the counterspace you are adding?

I'm a manual-whore.  I have read them all and they are all in page protectors in a binder organized by room. Never know when you might need those bad boys. 

The counterspace will be about 2'x2'. Nothing huge, but something to put a stack of towels on to take to the linen closet etc. 

Not the best photo, but you can see that the wall edge is right behind the edge of the door (return air vent also back there).  The cat box lives there for now, and then I want a counterspace that extends from the wall to the sink. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

My Blog!
  • image Susie Derkins:

I can't even.

Heh.  This.  and, because of this my vote is (b) so that when the basement floods, it's above the water. Oh and mine are elevated on cinderblocks. *sigh*

• Mine are on a pedestal made out of wood covered with the same carpet as the floor (in & out). They are sized so a laundry basket slides in there. LOVE
  • I much prefer elevated.  I hate bending over for clothes, especially heavy, wet ones from the back of the washer. 

I prefer to have a table next to the washer for folding.  We pieced together one from the Ikea as-is section for our basement laundry.  But this is what we just moved from (less pretty, more functional)

These are a few of my favorite things

imageimageimageimage