Money Matters

What do you do with old pillows?

I don't know what to do with old pillows.  Consequently, we have at least a half dozen to get rid of.

Do I just throw them in the garbage (which seems wasteful)?

They're too grungy to donate (though I'm not sure anyplace would take used pillows anyway).

Should I cut them up and use the outside for rags and just throw away the stuffing?  Is that crazy?

Any other ideas?

Re: What do you do with old pillows?

• Usually I get a washable cover for them and turn them into a dogs pillow or bed.
  • throw them in a closet.

#nothelpful

:)
  • Darn, I was hoping they were usable since we just had to throw out five, no thanks to Velociraptor Kitty.

Maybe the Humane Society can use them?

Little Bridey Twist, begging for a bowl of Chobani. Just like in the orphanages of yore.
  • image IheartCosmos:

throw them in a closet.

#nothelpful

That's what I've been doing for my entire adult life, which is why I really probably have 10-12 or more, not just a half dozen.

Embarrassed 

• Donate them. Whatever a place like Good Will won't sell, they donate to other orgnizations. Lots of our worn/stained items make it out to 3rd world countries. Or they sell them to rag companies in bulk.
  • image brideymcbriderson:

Good idea.  I'll check with them.

• Any plans to move soon?  They can be used to help pack very fragile things (like wrapping two around a vase or something).
  • I just throw them in the trash.
  • image ToKeyO:
    Donate them. Whatever a place like Good Will won't sell, they donate to other orgnizations. Lots of our worn/stained items make it out to 3rd world countries. Or they sell them to rag companies in bulk.

and I will refer you to this post why thats a bad idea: http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/57957277.aspx

:)
  • We have a lot of old pillows in our house.  FYI, the $2 pillows at Target are $2 for a reason - after a year they are flat as a pancake and useless for comfortable sleeping.

Our couch has zippered back cushion covers.  We put old pillows inside (behind the original cushions) to make our sad cheap old couch less sad looking and more comfortable.

I've also used the filling to fluff up throw pillows that got squished down over time.

Each of the decorative shams in our guest rooms have two old pillows inside because only using one pillow looked flat and pathetic.

• image ToKeyO:
    Donate them. Whatever a place like Good Will won't sell, they donate to other orgnizations. Lots of our worn/stained items make it out to 3rd world countries. Or they sell them to rag companies in bulk.

This cracks me up in light of the recent P&CE post about donated goods being send to 3rd world countries.

• image Deconstruction:
    Any plans to move soon?  They can be used to help pack very fragile things (like wrapping two around a vase or something).

No move for us, but this is a great idea!

• image riderpunk:
    Usually I get a washable cover for them and turn them into a dogs pillow or bed.

I'm thinking about doing exactly that this weekend!  I'll need to use 2 to fit one of our dogs, so I'll sew a new cover.

No amount of education could convince Betty to be nice to possums
  • If they can't be repurposed for pet use, I throw ours away.  No one wants a flat old used pillow.  I guess you could take out the stuffing and make a throw pillow or a quilt or something, but even then, there are limits to what can and should be reused, and IMO this is beyond that limit.
    Quincy and Dexter, new BFFs

I used to be kris216.
  • We always wash and donate. What you think is grungy someone else may think is fine to use. One man's trash and all that.
  • Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DS1 born June 2008 | m/c at 9w March 2011 | DS2 born April 2012
    No amount of education could convince Betty to be nice to possums
  • I have the same problem! We have like 7-10 old pillows that were on our old couch. I am saving them to use as dog pillows, but I should pair down as it will take YEARS to go through 10 pillows!
  • I usually put old pillows in the pillow shams and then throw the old sham fillers away.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • King size pillows fit perfectly in the bottom of my dogs crate. I put it in there till it gets dirty looking and then I toss it
  • image tosababy:

image ToKeyO:

This cracks me up in light of the recent P&CE post about donated goods being send to 3rd world countries.

I had not read it. Cosmos just provided me with a fantastic link.

• image tosababy:
    image brideymcbriderson:

Good idea.  I'll check with them.

This is what I was thinking too.  Animal rescue groups or shelters might want them.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got some covers that kinda match my media room and I put a few down there for when we want to get really cozy or nap.  They handle the clean up of drool far better than my microsuede couch cushions. 
  • I get new pillows every six months and throw the old one away. I had no idea that people kept pillows for so long.
  • I have a bunch too.  We were thinking of bringing them down to the SPCA.  But the moving idea is a good one.  I could probably just put them on Craigslist for free, and someone will come by and take them.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

• image EvansBrideToBe:
    I get new pillows every six months and throw the old one away. I had no idea that people kept pillows for so long.

Ditto