Toledo Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Anyone have a easy yummy chili recipe that want to share?

Re: Anyone have a easy yummy chili recipe that want to share?

• I usually brown the meat and throw it in the crock pot with an onion, green pepper, kidney beans, tomato sauce, sometimes I add diced tomatoes sometimes I don't, mix it up and add chili powder and cumin. Husband will add a bit of hot sauce. Throw it all together when I get home from work (I work nights, get home at 7am) and let it cook on low while I sleep. 
    DX: 6/2012 PCOS  TTC: 6/2013  BFP: 9/6/2013  Attempt Natural m/c: 10/29/2013 D&C: 2/20/2014
    BFP 2: 7/7/2014 Beta 7/8: 115, Beta 7/12: 638, Beta 7/16: 3793, Beta 7/21: 21,625

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I got mine from a fellow nestie and love it! I just made it last Tuesday.

I use 2 pounds of beef, ground then throw in crock pot

Throw in kidney beans (I hate them so just 1 can), onion, green pepper, 2 can's of hot chili beans, 2 can's of diced tomatoes, tomato juice and then I have cans of tomato paste that I add in to thicken it up if needed. Then a little salt, pepper,  lots of red pepper & chili powder.  :) Top w/ cheese & oyster crackers.

• I also cook mine in a crock pot!

2lbs ground beef
    2 big cans of tomato sauce (32oz cans)
    3 cans of chili ready diced tomatoes (15oz cans)
    1 green pepper
    4 ribs of celery
    onion
    2 cans of kidney beans
    chili powder & cayan pepper on top

I cook it on low for about 5 hours, then I add in about a 1 cup of pasta - either small shells or elbow - and continue cooking it.  I find that the pasta soaks up some of the excess liquid.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Pumpkin turkey chili - takes a little prep time w/chopping, but tasty, and you can doctor it up if you want. I like to add sour cream and avocado on top! Doesn't taste like pumpkin either, but you get the added nutrition from it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh I love you crockpot ladies. I love my crockpot!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Oh man now I want chili.....dang it. Im going to have to find my grandmothers recipe, she always had lots of visitors on chili night. I will post it if I can find it...haha

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2zi57wm.jpg[/IMG]
  • I would just like to say, thank you ladies for making me not feel weird. My MIL and I were talking about chili and I said something about adding tomato and she looked at me weird and said "you add tomato?" I didn't think it was weird, but obviously she does. 
    DX: 6/2012 PCOS  TTC: 6/2013  BFP: 9/6/2013  Attempt Natural m/c: 10/29/2013 D&C: 2/20/2014
    BFP 2: 7/7/2014 Beta 7/8: 115, Beta 7/12: 638, Beta 7/16: 3793, Beta 7/21: 21,625

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image nightmare_of_beauty:
    I would just like to say, thank you ladies for making me not feel weird. My MIL and I were talking about chili and I said something about adding tomato and she looked at me weird and said "you add tomato?" I didn't think it was weird, but obviously she does. 

really no tomatoes? I guess I would see it as odd to not have tomatoes in chili!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • image marriedchick06:

image nightmare_of_beauty:
    I would just like to say, thank you ladies for making me not feel weird. My MIL and I were talking about chili and I said something about adding tomato and she looked at me weird and said "you add tomato?" I didn't think it was weird, but obviously she does. 

really no tomatoes? I guess I would see it as odd to not have tomatoes in chili!

Ditto - no tomatoes in chili? I've had it both ways, but if I make a traditional chili, there's definitely tomatoes in there! Here's an interesting article from Bon Appetit last year that highlighted chili from states across the country. Cool to see the different ways it's made regionally! Maybe your grandma is not from the Midwest?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker