Decorating & Renovating

Ikea Hemnes Dresser hack & Pinterest project

Happy Labor Day! I wanted to share my D&R projects from this weekend.

First off... I posted my Hemnes nightstand refinish on here a little while back. To refresh your memory:

Before:

After:

I still had the hemnes dresser I needed to refinish to match. Here's the before:

And here's some of the afters:

I'm sooo glad it's finally over with!

Also this weekend I tackled this Pinterest project:

Here's what I started out with (I scored the large vase for just $5 at Target and the other 2 I already had)

Here's how they turned out:

So I had a pretty productive D&R weekend :) I wish I could do this everyday instead of going to work... ha.

As always... more pics/step-by-step/etc on the blog!

Re: Ikea Hemnes Dresser hack & Pinterest project

• Wow, everything looks great--when are you coming over to finish up my D&R projects? Wink
    image image
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Fabulous!  I love that bottle idea.  I may have to steal it from you.  I need a bunch of knick-knacks to fill up a shelving unit I just finished up.
  • The bottle/vase idea is very clever. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DS1 born June 2008 | m/c at 9w March 2011 | DS2 born April 2012
  • image BlueMoonMagic:
    Wow, everything looks great--when are you coming over to finish up my D&R projects? Wink

This!! ME NEXT! ME NEXT!! EdenJ waves hands frantically!!! Looks great. :)

• It looks great!!  I bet you jumped for joy when you finished the dresser and nightstand!  Woot woot for productive weekends!
  • Nice job. You have great taste!
  • Nice job on the dresser...the extra steps really make a difference!
  • Thats exactly what I want to do! I loooove it. 
    The pups!
  • image sklopfer:
    Thats exactly what I want to do! I loooove it. 

I guess I should be more specific. I have a bunch of furniture that I need to paint, and I love the idea of sanding the corners to let the undercoat show through. Half my furniture is black, and the other half is maple colored. How do you think I can get the same look from the maple furniture as I would from the black if I sanded it down at the end?

The pups!
  • LOVE the vases, that's great! Was it a total PITA? (it seems like you'd need MUCH more patience than I have to get those dots even!) 
    Steph and Chris, 6/26/10
    Planned Executed
  • image sklopfer:

image sklopfer:
    Thats exactly what I want to do! I loooove it. 

I guess I should be more specific. I have a bunch of furniture that I need to paint, and I love the idea of sanding the corners to let the undercoat show through. Half my furniture is black, and the other half is maple colored. How do you think I can get the same look from the maple furniture as I would from the black if I sanded it down at the end?

]

Hmm... I'm certainly no expert, but could you try painting the maple dresser black just along the edges first so that when you lightly sand they will both show black underneath? If you sand too hard on either, the wood color will show through and I'm not sure what color the wood is under the black furniture... I'd sand part of it first to see what's under the black and go from there. Good luck! :)

• image hippie4yahweh:
    LOVE the vases, that's great! Was it a total PITA? (it seems like you'd need MUCH more patience than I have to get those dots even!) 

Thanks! It took a little bit but I took small breaks every 5-10 minutes to rest my arm and had the TV on in the background so it wasn't annoying. Not too bad at all :)

• Love it!  You did a great job.  Did you also refinish the hardware on the dresser?  It looks darker, warmer than the before.  Or is that just the change in color of the dresser changing the feel of them?
  • image cotner:
    Love it!  You did a great job.  Did you also refinish the hardware on the dresser?  It looks darker, warmer than the before.  Or is that just the change in color of the dresser changing the feel of them?

Thanks! Nope, didn't touch the knobs. It's probably a combination of the contrast to the white and the different lighting in the first picture that makes them look so different :)

• Wow, everything turned out beautifully! I would love to know how you painted/finished the Ikea furniture - I also have some of the Hemnes stuff in black and want to paint it white.