Northern California Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Funny old wives' tales

I was just getting some ice water and it reminded me of when I was little and my grandmother told me that if I drank cold water I'd get really hairy arms Smile

My cousin used to tell me that if I swallowed grape seeds that a grape plant would grow out the top of my head.

My mom (sort of?) believed that if you played basketball while growing up that you'd somehow stretch yourself taller Stick out tongue

Do you have any funny ones to share?
I'd rather be rock climbing or playing volleyball
image image

Re: Funny old wives' tales

• My grandfather used to always tell us "if you play with the fire, you'll wet the bed". It's not quite a "wives tale", but it was his way of stopping us from poking at the campfire (and potentially getting hurt, or causing a problem).

I also remember some of the elder men in my family telling the boys that if they did/ate something (which they had been resisting) it would "put hair on their chest" (i.e. make them a "man").I like to jokingly say that to DH now, whenever he's resistant to trying something new I make or buy.

My aunt got me to stop biting my fingernails as a kid, after she told me that when she was a kid she bit her nails and accidentally swallowed a piece and it cut her all up inside and she had to have surgery. (Totally not true -- but I was young enough to believe it and get scared).

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I can't remember any from when I was a kid... I'm sure I must've heard some doozies b/c my mom's family, especially, is pretty superstitious.  I'll have to think on it. 

I remember one the MIL told me when I was PG.  We were out shopping and I *really* wanted something fizzy to drink.  I'd cut out soda but I was having a major sugar attack so decided to go for a carbonated flavored water or something like that.  Something I wouldn't feel too guilty about.  What does MIL tell me?  "Oh, you shouldn't.  I've heard that the sound of carbonation in your stomach is like fireworks to them! (meaning my unborn kid)  And it could effect their hearing!"  Whatevs.  I got my darn fizzy drink! 

• I might not remember it correctly, but I was being told that if I swallowed a big seed (from fruit such as lychee), a Christmas tree would grow on top of my head.

I was also told that playing volleyball or basketball, or swimming while growing up would make ourselves taller.

There are quite a few superstitions or taboos that I grew up with, due to different cultures. They might seem ridiculous, but I can see why the previous generations have believed in them. There were things such as swimming in lakes and rivers being forbidden (and I still avoid it), avoiding watching animals while being pregnant, etc.

• Isn't it funny how it's usually men who tell us old wives' tales? Mmmm... anyway the only one I remember (and always knew it was silly) was that if you ate watermelon seeds a watermelon would grow in your stomach.
  • When I was a kid, EVERYONE told me that if you swallowed your gum, it wouldn't digest and would just stay in your intestines.  I believed this until I was about 20.  Embarrassed

• image mrs.jacinthe:

When I was a kid, EVERYONE told me that if you swallowed your gum, it wouldn't digest and would just stay in your intestines.  I believed this until I was about 20.  Embarrassed

Oh yeah my mom told me this, too. She hated gum though so I knew pretty early that it was just her way to try to get me to not chew gum.
  • The baby's heart rate indicates the gender. Low = boy High= girl (didn't work for us)

If you lift your arms above your head the cord will wrap around the baby's neck (MIL told me this, actually yelled it at me when I was grabbing something off a tall shelf)

[url="http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=breastfeeder&utm_medium=ubb&utm_campaign=badges"][img]http://images.thenestbaby.com/badges/tb_sig_ebf.gif [/img][/url]
  • When my mom was a kid, her aunt would always eat the last piece of bread (if bread was served with dinner, for example) to save my mom from being an old maid. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My grandmother would tell me when I was young that if I licked my plates clean, it would rain on my wedding day.

When we finally set a wedding date in November, I was wondering if all that past plate-licking would come back to haunt me. Luckily, it was sunny and 80 degrees  :)

• Wow, these are crazy!

image mrs.jacinthe:

When I was a kid, EVERYONE told me that if you swallowed your gum, it wouldn't digest and would just stay in your intestines.  I believed this until I was about 20.  Embarrassed

I was always told it took seven years to digest. Smile

My favorite place on earth: The Amargosa Valley.