Money Matters

NMR: Toilet flushing with no electricity?

Okay, I feel stupid for posting this, and google isn't helping... DH says that since we have city water that our toilets will flush properly without electricity.  I keep hearing people say to fill your bathtub with water so you can flush. 

He's making fun of me for wanting to fill the bathtub...so who's right???

TIA!

Re: NMR: Toilet flushing with no electricity?

• funny- i JUST got off the phone with a friend of mine from FL and she said if we are on WELL water that we need to fill tubs, etc - but on city water we'll be fine.

She said it has to do with the pumps for well water needing electricity and losing pressure b/c of that.... but city water is fine.

I still don't know if it's true or not, lol - i was just going to google myself!

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • City water be fine, mine with well/pump, your SOL if no power and be going outside in the meantime
  • All you need to flush the toilet is a bucket of water. If the city water loses pressure for whatever reason (electricity probably won't be a problem, but pipes can rupture and water towers can fall), you'll have to flush with a bucket because your toilet tank will not fill. I'm assuming you are prepping for the hurricane? They are talking about potential loss of tap water for 3+ days, so yes, you should fill the bathtub. You may want to use that water for drinking and cooking, sharing with neighbors, etc.
  • Do not believe if you are on city water you are immune to losing water!  We lost water for 2 days during Isabel because the county's water pumps lost power.  We had power the whole time.

These are a few of my favorite things

imageimageimageimage
  • So you take the water from the tub and fill the toilet tank with it when you need to flush? Or...what?

image Lucy, 12/27/2009
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • image jenny1980:

So you take the water from the tub and fill the toilet tank with it when you need to flush? Or...what?

Yes.

Also if you run out of clean water  to drink you can boil the tub water or add some drops of bleach in it to purify it.  Also helpful if the water comes back on and is less than clean.

Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image jenny1980:

So you take the water from the tub and fill the toilet tank with it when you need to flush? Or...what?

We put it in the bowl, not the tank.  The tank would waste too much water.  You just put enough in the bowl to get everything down.

• If you have city water, you don't need electricity in your house, but the utility may. We lost water in Cleveland during the east coast blackout in 2003. We had filled the tub with water, and used that water to flush.
  • alright...I'm filling the tub...better safe than sorry :)
  •  If a water pipe busts/leaks because of the storm, you will have no water because they'll turn it off to fix it.

Where I grew up, it wasn't uncommon to have our water turned off for random pipe breaks on sunny days.  :-)

• We dont have a bathtub.  Sad  And I cant remember what happened the last time we lost power here.  It was around bed time and we had power back by morning. 
  • Why not just fill your tub and then if you wind up not needing it, no big deal?  I wouldn't want to assume you will have water to flush and find out you don't when it is too late.

We filled our tub in NYC.  I assume the water has to be pumped up to my floor somehow, and I assume that is probably electrical in nature.  So you have city water... the city doesn't control how your building gets it to your floor. 

• I am so f'ed with this hurricane. I don't even have a freaking tub to fill - I have a stall shower. I have no place to put my patio furniture. I am just hoping it doesn't blow into my glass doors in my living room.
    imageCurly Tail Pug Rescue
  • for those without a bathtub, what about a couple buckets, watering cans, kettle?

you only really need to flush number 2.  you can let the yellow mellow. 

and when you want to flush, you just throw (throw is important) the water down the drain. 

• Oh what a great idea. I just filled up my kettle and a big watering can. I also filled up a few pitchers of water and put them in the fridge to supplement my bottled water just in case.  Thank you.
    imageCurly Tail Pug Rescue
  • You can also use a kitchen trash can or a plastic storage bin.
  • image Deconstruction:

Why not just fill your tub and then if you wind up not needing it, no big deal?  I wouldn't want to assume you will have water to flush and find out you don't when it is too late.

We filled our tub in NYC.  I assume the water has to be pumped up to my floor somehow, and I assume that is probably electrical in nature.  So you have city water... the city doesn't control how your building gets it to your floor. 

That's what I was told too -- that in high rises you can lose water when the power goes out because the water needs to be pumped up to your floor.  So we'll fill the bathtubs before we go to bed tonight. 

• Tell your husband that you are filling up the tub and if you should later not be able to flush because the city's system isn't working that he will not be able to use your water to flush. Make him go outside. har har
  • image amamba:
    I am so f'ed with this hurricane. I don't even have a freaking tub to fill - I have a stall shower. I have no place to put my patio furniture. I am just hoping it doesn't blow into my glass doors in my living room.

If I were you I would bring the patio furniture inside for the time being.  It might be tight -but it's better than having your living room full of glass/open to the hurricane. 

• image amamba:
    I am so f'ed with this hurricane. I don't even have a freaking tub to fill - I have a stall shower. I have no place to put my patio furniture. I am just hoping it doesn't blow into my glass doors in my living room.

Do you have a balcony/porch with railings? You can at least secure the patio furniture to the railing so it doesn't blow around. 

• image thatgirl2478:

image amamba:

If I were you I would bring the patio furniture inside for the time being.  It might be tight -but it's better than having your living room full of glass/open to the hurricane. 

Yeah.  If it's wet, maybe the bathroom or kitchen or spread out your kitchen trash bags in the LR.

• Turn the patio table upside down, that helps a lot so the wind can't pick it up.  Chairs, hopefully they can stack in a corner of a room or you can lash them down, to the legs of the table if you don't have anything else.  Also, move them as close to the house as possible and hope they can stay in the lee of the house.
    These are a few of my favorite things

imageimageimageimage