Politics & Current Events

Bibles and hotel rooms

What's the history on Bibles in hotel rooms?  I find it odd hotels still do this.

Re: Bibles and hotel rooms

• I think there's a group called the Gideons that does it and the hotels sort of let them? In the UAE there's usually a Koran in the hotel rooms.
  • image MrsBini10:
    I think there's a group called the Gideons that does it and the hotels sort of let them? In the UAE there's usually a Koran in the hotel rooms.
    I read that as "Korean" and I was trying to figure out what you'd do with one in your hotel room.
    Anything you can achieve through hard work, you could also just buy.
  • image MrsAxilla:
    image MrsBini10:
    I think there's a group called the Gideons that does it and the hotels sort of let them? In the UAE there's usually a Koran in the hotel rooms.
    I read that as "Korean" and I was trying to figure out what you'd do with one in your hotel room.

Ok, now I'm backing out of this post.

• image MrsAxilla:
    image MrsBini10:
    I used to live in Korea--I can think of plenty of things. But some of them would be illegal in the UAE if you weren't married to the Korean.
  • I thought the Marriotts had The Book of Mormon in them?
    You know how we do
  • I wish I could remember it, but I was once in a hotel room that had a Bible, a Koran, a Book of Mormon, a Buddhist text of one kind or another, and a few other tracts.

I thought it was super cool and ended up reading some stuff I wouldn't otherwise have read!

The Girl is 5. The Boy is 2. The Dog is 1.

image image

I am the 99%.
  • image MrsAxilla:
    image MrsBini10:
    Make them cook me delicious Korean food, duh.
  • image MrsBini10:

yep, my grandpa is a Gideon and has been for about 50+ years. in addition to hotel rooms, for a long time they would give out those little red new testaments at all the elementary schools. but they aren't allowed to do that anymore, at least not in my hometown. I didn't even try to get into it with him about why this does not mean the end of civilization as we know it :-(

• Google Gideons. I want to say that the hotels were ok with it because it reduced suicide rates - as like mom said - you often end up picking it up and getting interested it.
  • image MrsBini10:
    image MrsAxilla:
    image MrsBini10:
    I used to live in Korea--I can think of plenty of things. But some of them would be illegal in the UAE if you weren't married to the Korean.

This portion of the thread needs to be reposted on Monday for those of us who survive.  It really is quite delightful.

• I remember a Gideon coming to my church (PCUSA) and trying to get us to donate to their mission.  Putting bibles in hotel rooms is like all they do.

In Japan and Korea, IIRC, they have a buddhist book.  Don't they have books of mormon in Utah hotels?  This is reminding me that I have lots of stories of people attempting to proselytize to me when I was overseas.

• image MrsBini10:
    image MrsAxilla:
    image MrsBini10:

Hmm 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image bh2720:

image MrsBini10:

yep, my grandpa is a Gideon and has been for about 50+ years. in addition to hotel rooms, for a long time they would give out those little red new testaments at all the elementary schools. but they aren't allowed to do that anymore, at least not in my hometown. I didn't even try to get into it with him about why this does not mean the end of civilization as we know it :-(

they still do it in my part of the country.

• image Purple Corn:
    image bh2720:

image MrsBini10:

I had a blue one as a child- an older man who was trying to give me a red one in the supermarket told me those were the ones the women in his organisation gave out. I thought that was odd.

Photobucket
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image Purple Corn:
    image bh2720:

image MrsBini10:

Seriously? In public schools?
  • image MrsBini10:
    image Purple Corn:
    image bh2720:

image MrsBini10:

yup.... every year the ACLU sues a different district and ends the practice but seriously they keep doing it until the ACLU gets to them

• image Purple Corn:
    image MrsBini10:
    image Purple Corn:
    image bh2720:

image MrsBini10:

yup.... every year the ACLU sues a different district and ends the practice but seriously they keep doing it until the ACLU gets to them

yes, and while I totally do not agree with the practice of handing out bibles at a public school at all, I do feel bad for my poor little grandpa. he is 93 and he still has people come up to him from 30 or more years ago and tell him that they still have the bible he gave them and that it helped them through some rough time. in fact, I used to have people tell ME that about grandpa (very small town). he truly believes in the bible, finds comfort in reading it, and just wants other people to be able to have the same "advantages" that he has. he just can't understand why giving someone a bible could be a bad thing. and at age 93, no one is going to convince him. 

• image MrsBini10:
    image Purple Corn:
    image bh2720:

image MrsBini10:

They can stand across the street or just off school property and do it. 

my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • image msmerymac:
    image MrsBini10:
    image Purple Corn:
    image bh2720:

image MrsBini10:

They can stand across the street or just off school property and do it. 

there have been two districts sued for letting them hand out bibles, in the last 2 years. One they were standing where the buses unloaded and the other they were inside the classrooms.