Money Matters

Motorized carts at grocery stores

I find it strange how many people use the motorized carts at grocery stores. Of course I recognize that some people have physical limitations that keep them from standing for long periods of time but often the people using these seem to be able bodied and just using them since they are there. Also these carts often block the aisles. It just seems a disproportionate amount of people in the grocery store use these vs anywhere else I go.

Also... do you think these carts cause legal liabilities for the stores? I wonder why so many stores offer them. I am glad that they are there for those that need them, for sure.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Motorized carts at grocery stores

• When I lived in MT, my bestie and I would both get one and have races to see who could get their grocery shopping done first. (I'm not proud of this.)

The only people I ever see using them are bigger/obese people, who presumably have problems walking. 

• I hate those things.  Around my area it is ALWAYS teenagers driving with them while shopping with a parent.  It irritates me to no end. 

My grocery store only has 1 now.  They have a sign posted that they will assign a shopper for you (someone to push a regular cart) or you can use the online shopping service and when you pick up your order they will load it into your car for you.

I BILLION PERCENT DISAGREE with you!!
  • Not all disabilities are visible. I personally have terrible knees. On a good day, I can run a marathon. On a bad day, I can barely get out of bed. My dad is going through chemo right now. He LOOKS fine, and he can walk short distances, but anything longer than that and he's wiped. 

Stores provide them because they realize that patrons with temporary disabilities (such as a broken leg, sprained ankle, torn ACL, etc) still have to run errands, and it's damn hard to push a shopping cart on crutches.  

• Old people leaving their carts in the middle of the aisle whilst examining 42 different brands of mustard to find the one that has the ingredients in just the right order is the far bigger threat to my grocery store experience.
  • I wish my grandma would use one.  She has CHF and gets exhausted so easily, but she insists on walking around the damn store. I get pride and all, but gasping for breath isn't really a good option.

I haven't noticed a trend of lots of people using them.  I do shop at a commissary, so there are disabled vets, but that's all I've seen.

• image Ms.Starry:

I find it strange how many people use the motorized carts at grocery stores. Of course I recognize that some people have physical limitations that keep them from standing for long periods of time but often the people using these seem to be able bodied and just using them since they are there. Also these carts often block the aisles. It just seems a disproportionate amount of people in the grocery store use these vs anywhere else I go.

Also... do you think these carts cause legal liabilities for the stores? I wonder why so many stores offer them. I am glad that they are there for those that need them, for sure.

You know what they say about assuming. 

I've had to use one before, only once though because there weren't any regular wheelchairs available.  I don't have any missing limbs or anything so I'm sure I looked able-bodied, but I was 70-ish lbs and my legs couldn't hold up the rest of my body and I would also pass out a lot.  So you never know.  I'm glad they were there when I needed them and my regular wheelchair wouldn't fit in my small car so I used the store's chairs often. 

I don't see a big deal about them.  People leave their carts in the middle of the isles all of the time, so should carts be banned from stores?  I'd rather have someone use a motorized chair than struggle to walk, or even collapse.  I've been there and it's not fun.  People will stare and judge no matter what. 

Bullet through window
    And down the rabbit hole

• As I said I recognize some people need these carts. But for instance, when I walk 10 minutes to work in the morning I rarely see someone using a wheelchair / motorized carts and presumably that would also exhaust someone with physical limitations. Unless of course their disability enabled them to get preferred parking. 

I definitely see my share of teenagers goofing off on these carts and I wonder what happens when there is an accident. Hardly seems worth it. 

• My local grocery only has like 6 carts total. I could see if they had like a Disney-sized fleet and you had 100 people trying to drive up to the milk, but it's really not that bad. 

• Sorry to clarify - I am not judging courteous people regardless of appearance using the carts. I see lots of teenagers in groups (like blissreturns....) using these carts and people who do not practice any form of courtesy when using them. Just venting...

And yes I find people abandoning carts equally annoying but I can move those easier than I can move another person.

• I don't see them used that often.

I am far more annoyed by the giant carts that have the huge plastic car attached to the front for kids, or the tiny shopper carts that consistently ram me in the ankles at Trader Joe's.

two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • I hardly ever see them being used.  When I do, it is usually by older people that come in with a cane or walker.

My grandma has a lot of health issues, but she still goes to the grocery store.  You probably wouldn't run into her anywhere else besides the doctor's office.  My former SFIL had a lot of trouble walking and he would only go to Walmart.  He had a mobility chair of his own, but he could not afford a vehicle that could transport it.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • i've used them... they annoy me. They are soooo sloooooow

• image Purple Corn:

i've used them... they annoy me. They are soooo sloooooow

Not only that but stupid me kept turning it the wrong way. So I was very, very slowly crashing into the end of an isle.   It was certainly a sight. 

The one I used was in a Target so the isles were a bit bigger, but still, I hated it, and I felt for those who needed to use one all of the time. 

Bullet through window
    And down the rabbit hole

• image Purple Corn:

i've used them... they annoy me. They are soooo sloooooow

I had to use one when I was pregnant last year, right after I came off 14 weeks of bedrest and 4w in the hospital. I got winded crossing the parking lot. You're right, they go really slow, but I'm glad they had them. Sadly, I did get my share of sideeyes from people who thought I was just a lazy pregnant lady. 

• I also used one when I was pg and on home bed rest. I freaking hated it because it moved so slow.
    Emma - March '08 Quinn - August '11
    Need help with high fat food ideas? Chunky Monkey
  • I have nothing to contribute but wanted to tell kafunder that her kids are adorable.
  • image honey&badger:
    I have nothing to contribute but wanted to tell kafunder that her kids are adorable.

Thanks! 

• I never see people using them around Atlanta....
  • first, how can you shop with that tiny basket?I fill up my whole cart.

second - if you are truly unable to walk long distances, etc. wouldnt you need a cart all the time? 

But I think I am just surprised because I have never seen these scooters in any grocery store,  however I have seen people that own them (rent them, etc) because they need them at the bank, grocery store, pharmacy, etc.  I believe there is a need, but not just in one store. 

• i have never seen someone use them that didn't look like they should be - huh- strange.

I used one at Target when i was pg with the twins and very far into the pregnancy and couldn't walk for a long time- had to do some shopping before the babies were born- so DH and I went with DS1 - and i rode in the motorized thing- it was humiliating!

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
  • I used one for several months last year, when I couldn't put any weight on my right leg/foot.  

I still needed to go to the grocery store and target...  I had a handicap parking permit, I'd crutch to the entrance (which seemed like fooorrrever...), get the cart, shop, take the scooter out as far as possible, and crutch back to my car with my bags hanging from my hands.

Some of these comments are a little insensitive - You can't see all disabilities.  I guess I probably have more empathy than I used to, after my "Sucky Summer of 2010." 

• The main thing that bugs me about them is that people think they can go everywhere a cart can, but they just can't. It's pretty hard to turn corners with them in rows of clothing racks. And why oh why do you need to drive down the center of the freaking aisle?

I work at Target and we have quite a few stupid teenagers that like to play with them, but I live in a major college town.

They can be a bit of a safety issue too. Just yesterday we had a guest that had her foot hanging off the side and she got it caught under the machine and a basedeck when trying to turn a corner.Hmm

• image hannamarin:

second - if you are truly unable to walk long distances, etc. wouldnt you need a cart all the time? 

Not necessarily. My dad manages . He has a handicap hang-tag, and there are usually spots in stores where you can sit and rest for a few minutes. 

With chemo, he has his good days and his bad days. Last time I was home, he was feeling great, and was up and about all of the time. Right now he's really run down, and if he needs to go shopping, he uses a scooter. 
  • image hannamarin:

first, how can you shop with that tiny basket?I fill up my whole cart.

But I think I am just surprised because I have never seen these scooters in any grocery store,  however I have seen people that own them (rent them, etc) because they need them at the bank, grocery store, pharmacy, etc.  I believe there is a need, but not just in one store. 

So, are people who use arm powered wheelchairs, walkers or canes supposed only purchase what they can fit in their pockets? Or should they bring their own 150 lb motor chair?
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Michelle's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
  • image hannamarin:

The distance from the car (handicap space) to the front door is a whole lot less than what you walk up and down aisles in the grocery.  

Like I said, I wish my gramma would let down her pride enough to use one, but for now she just uses a cart and leans against it, huffing and puffing.  But, she gets winded walking from the couch to the kitchen, so a grocery is a huge exertion for her.  Around the house, she just stops for lots of pauses.

So, yeah, there are people who need a cart a lot, but they manage to work around it. 

• Although some people may need it, I agree that a lot do not.  The worst is somewhere like Disney where all you see are obese people using the, and their obese kids riding with them.
  • image princess_cal:
    Although some people may need it, I agree that a lot do not.  The worst is somewhere like Disney where all you see are obese people using the, and their obese kids riding with them.

Disney drove me freaking crazy. Too many people on scooters + 5 year olds in stroller = no where for walkers to walk.

There are a lot fewer scooters at Dollywood.

To PP-I hated how small the baskets are when I broke my foot.  DH mocked me for not getting something at the store when I told him the basket was big enought to get everything

• I live in one of the fastest states in the country ( yet ironically one of the thinnest towns) and these things are everywhere. The majority of people on them are obese. Yes, I understand that medical issues that necessitate a scooter can result in obesity, and being obese can cause you to run out of breath faster, have knee problems, etc. But the frequency with which I see them just frustrates me because maybe part of the reason you're obese is because you can't bother to actually walk anywhere. Go ahead, flame me.
    April is National Grilled Cheese Month. How are you celebrating? image