December 2007 Weddings
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What type of birt control do you use? Pros/Cons?

I am looking into bc options and would appreciate any input.  TIA.
[IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/abnv4p.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.tinypic.com/qmzxjc.jpg[/IMG]

Re: What type of birt control do you use? Pros/Cons?

• Charting.  Smile

Pros:  no artificial hormones doing things to my system; can go from TTA to TTC (or vice versa) at any time

Cons:  unless you want to abstain during the fertile window, you need to use condoms or other backup; if you don't know what you're doing...well, then it's not BC.

~~~~Carrie & Shawn~~~~December 21, 2007~~~~ image
    Our Blog!
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain." Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've used monophasic and triphasic BC pills before. If i remember right The triphasic has lower hormone levels that are supposed to mimic the natural cycle better (Pro!), but after a while on those I had a lot of breakthrough bleedig and hear that pretty common (Con). Monophasic ha one hormone level, no problems with it. Before we TTC'd I stopped taking them for almost a year and we just used condoms. That was certainly easier for me since I didn't have to remember everyday. I'm trying to decide now whether I want to get back on BC pills or just stick with condoms.....with the pills my cycle is a tiny bit shorter/more regular but not hugely so.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have used the Nuvaring and I had an IUD.

I will probably go back on the Nuvaring once I have this one until DH has his little snip snip. I liked it, only had to worry about it once a month, I didn't have any side effects. But I think it has a higher co-payment each month. 

I liked the IUD too, so if you are thinking that you don't want anymore kids for a while (I only had mine in for about a year before we TTC) that might be a good option. I only had to pay an office co-payment for it! So it was by far the cheapest. I got 1 heavy period at the beginning but didnt have one until I had it taken out.  

M & D - 12/29/2007
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby #2 - D&E - 10/1/10 @ 19w2d - thanatophoric dysplasia confirmed.
    Charlotte Lillian will be forever in our hearts.

Baby #3 - Little Bean - natural miscarriage - 1/17/11 @ 5w5d

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I was on Seasonal (one where you only get your period every 3 months). My body is weird and never did go the 3 months without one but my friends who were on it loved it and enjoyed not having a period for 3 months.

The side effects for me (but remember my body is not normal): Breakthrough bleeding around the 7 week mark. Would have to skip 2 days of pills and then I would stop until my period showed up about 5 weeks later. I guess getting it every 7 weeks is better than every 4.

The first 3 months I was depressed, moody and emotional. Once my body got used to it I was fine.

Pros (what my friends have said): Not having a period for 3 months.

I know a lot of the ladies on the GPM board have done IUD and liked it.

I don't think I am going to ever go back on birth control just because my body did not really like it the first time.

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/oab4us.jpg[/IMG]
  • When I was on BCP I first went on Ortho Tri-Cylen. I was on that for a number of years and then started having some problems so the dr switched me to Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo. It worked for about 6 months and then I started getting so moody and was in a ill mood all the time. TT told me I needed to go back to the dr and see if he could switch me to something else. After this time it all went down hill....He switched me to Yaz this was before all the stuff came out about them. I was fine for a couple of months and then the moods came back but worse normally I am in a pretty good mood alot and while I was on this I was MEAN! Eventually I did have to have my gallbladder removed I am not sure if it was from Yaz or because I have a family history of gallstones.

As of right now I am on nothing and have been for over a year.

Who let the dawgs out? image
  • I've been off of BC since getting pg with Luke and i don't think I'm ever going back. I was on the pill for 8 years. So right now we just abstain during ovulation and use condoms when it's the danger zone. I swear I'm going to start temping one day, but with Kelvin being offshore he's gone 14 days in a row during my most fertile time, so what's the point!?

• Condoms. Easy, no worrying about forgetting to take a pill.

I was on one of the ortho pills for a year or two, but haven't been since we started TTC before L.

• I forgot to add we use Condoms during the fertile time.

Who let the dawgs out? image