Minneapolis/St. Paul Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What's the going rate for a teenage babysitter?

It's been over about 1 1/2 half since we've used a non-family member for a babysitter.  What do you pay a teenage babysitter per hour to watch two kids?
image image

Children Photography Photo Credit: Heather Barta Photography

Re: What's the going rate for a teenage babysitter?

• $5 an hour for our daughter during awake hours, when she is sleeping about $2.50
    "image image
    The big sister, and Momma 30 weeks along with baby sister
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Food Blog, Family and Baby Blog
  • Does your new sitter have experience or a first aid class?  If so, I would pay him/her a bit more...

I think $5/hr is a good rate, but it has been over a decade since I babysat.  I do remember though, that my families gave me a "tip" since I cleaned their house after the kids went to bed...

• It depends... I'm assuming at least one of your two are still in diapers- judging from the tickers :)  

I'd say $5/hr is fine if they're going to be awake and need active entertainment.  My sister usually charges like $6-$10/hr, but she's babysitting 2-3 kids/babies usually, and she works at a daycare, so she has actual 'training'.  

I haven't babysat in a long time, but I think I usually got like $20 for a night (5-6 hours), but I always cleaned up the house and stuff too.  

• I pay our 14 year old sitter $7/hour.

My plan is to bump it up once she is 16 and can get herself to our house herself.

FWIW, we pay our adult sitters (ie - daycare teachers) $13/hour - rounded up.

Also, if you have a quality sitter, pay for her time, not necessarily just her duties. (when I was a sitter, I turned down jobs where the parents thought it appropriate to dock my pay just because their kid was sleeping)

• I know my SIL pays their high school age sitter $10 an hour for two kids, ages 2.5 and 5.5. I told her I am going to start a side job if that's what they get paid these days :)
    my blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Boy/girl twins born at 37w1d and 37w2d

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• image Sue/Mike:

Does your new sitter have experience or a first aid class?  If so, I would pay him/her a bit more...

I think $5/hr is a good rate, but it has been over a decade since I babysat.  I do remember though, that my families gave me a "tip" since I cleaned their house after the kids went to bed...

My sitter has the babysitting class, as well as first aid and is 17. I asked her when we interviewed her her rate, she suggested $5. Once we have another kid we will pay more. We do also live a ways out of the cities, if we lived in the cities I would pay more as well.

"image image
    The big sister, and Momma 30 weeks along with baby sister
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Food Blog, Family and Baby Blog
  • image mrsadamswife:
    image Sue/Mike:

Does your new sitter have experience or a first aid class?  If so, I would pay him/her a bit more...

My sitter has the babysitting class, as well as first aid and is 17. I asked her when we interviewed her her rate, she suggested $5. Once we have another kid we will pay more. We do also live a ways out of the cities, if we lived in the cities I would pay more as well.

If she suggested $5 then that's perfect.  If she ends up doing a fantastic job and asking for more then you can revisit it.    I think that's good for out of the cities rate - I grew up in SoDak so I'm thinking they are comparable communities.

• I have no children, but $5/hr seems crazy low to me.  I think I made $9 per hour in 1993.  I would pay her at least minimum wage.  And none of the "less while sleeping."

We're kind of going out.
  • I remember making $5-6 hr + dinner and gifts (nail polishes, etc) back in the 90s.
  • image MelindaFelinda:

I have no children, but $5/hr seems crazy low to me.  I think I made $9 per hour in 1993.  I would pay her at least minimum wage.  And none of the "less while sleeping."

Agreed.  In my little town Up North kids get at $6 an hour and more.  I'd pay more for more than one child too. 

• I babysat throughout middle school and h.s. in a small town.  In the late 90s I was thrilled if I got $8 an hour for 2 or 3 kids.  However, I wouldn't go back if the family lowered my pay if the kids were sleeping.  I was still giving up my time whether or not the kids were sleeping.  I would always leave the house cleaner than when I came if the kids went to bed before I left.

Start with $5 per hour but if you like her and don't want to lose her, up her pay or give her random gifts (if its a longer day or really late night, throw in an extra tip or give her a gift card to a store she likes).  Make her want to always say yes.  There were 2 families that I would always say yes to because they did things like that. Made me want to babysit for them!  Also if she is driving more than 5-10 minutes each way, pay her for her drive time too!  The little things like that will make her want to come back. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We haven't had a babysitter but our friends our paying $8-10/hour for 1 child. I'd agree with at least paying minimum wage.

Photo taken at 16 months old
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image ilovebijou:
    We haven't had a babysitter but our friends our paying $8-10/hour for 1 child. I'd agree with at least paying minimum wage.

OMG, I didn't realize you are pregant with baby #2!  Congrats!

image image

Children Photography Photo Credit: Heather Barta Photography

• If the sitter is too young to have a legit job, I can see paying something like $8/hr. But if the person is 15 or older, definitely more than minimum wage! Watching two little kids if you're not a parent is not an easy job. I would say $10/hr minimum.
    Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • I made 5 bucks an hour when I was 14 and that was quite some time ago.   When I was older and drove myself over to my sitting jobs, I was making 10 an hour (but I was also taking kids to soccer practice and stuff).  I'd say 7-8 bucks at least.
  • I am a nanny (and considerably older than teenager) but when I was in high school I was making $12-15 an hour! Granted I was sitting in affluent neighborhoods, I was older, and CPR certified etc.  But I think you should pay at least $8-10 for a responsible high school student. A middle schooler, $6-8.

And don't dock pay if the kids are sleeping, it's still their time. And if the sitter is any good, they're cleaning up dishes from dinner, folding laundry or tidying up. Remember, you get what you pay for.