Pets

Help. Saw a pic of my foster dog in his new home via facebook...

And his adopter (which happens to be my husband's cousin) has a pincher collar on him, and I can see his tags are attached. My assumption is that he has it on as his regular collar. Her other dog has one on too. Should I say something? This guy is just a pup, a big pup - 7 months old, and a pittie/mastif mix - but still. It's the first thing I saw. He was just officially adopted YESTERDAY. I'm about to go get him and bring him back home. Am I overreacting? When she took him yesterday, she had a pretty leather collar and leash set... why is this on him now???

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

DS - 7.2006 - C-Section b/c Breech
DS2 - 4.2008 - Successful Vbac
DD - 5.2012 - Successful Vbac

Re: Help. Saw a pic of my foster dog in his new home via facebook...

• A pinch collar as in a prong collar or a pinch collar as in a choke collar? What was the weight of the dog?

I use a prong collar on the Murph at all times during walks. He is 185 pounds and it is the only collar out there where I have 100% control over him. If used properly, it is extremely helpful.

• It's a prong collar. He's about 40lbs.

• My concern is that he's going to wear it ALL the time. Sleeping, hanging out, etc.

• Perhaps you can talk to them about it before you make any assumptions? Some people just aren't aware they need training on how to properly use the collar and some do, but you won't know if they are educated about using them if you don't ask.
  • You don't know the situation under which she took the pictures.  And if that's the collar she'll be using to take him on a walk, it makes sense that his tags are on that one instead of a leather one he might use inside.  No one needs proof of his rabies vaccine inside.
  • I agree with knowing the situation. When we first got our Newnan (pit/lab mix), he had a prong/pinch collar, which his old owner gave us and recommended for using on walks since he is a puller. We only used it on walks until we bought an ez-walk harness. He didn't seem to be bothered by it. He knew when he had the collar on he was going outside, so he didn't care.
  • I agree with knowing the situtation, but you also might just want to buy a harness and color alternative and take it over as a thanks for adopting gift.  I have to use an EZ-walk harness on our 115 lb lab, but I would NEVER use a pincher collar, to me you train a dog well enough and they don't need one.  But that is too young to be trying it out. 

If anything you have every right to take that dog back, I would be doing the same thing.  It's only been a day and if you are already worried this much, then maybe you knew from the beginning it wasn't the best fit.

• image rachelleevaughn:
      I have to use an EZ-walk harness on our 115 lb lab, but I would NEVER use a pincher collar, to me you train a dog well enough and they don't need one. 

Please tell me how you would control a 185 pound dog, especially one that is almost 50 pounds heavier and stronger than you are with an easy walk harness? I don't think it's necessary to put down other people who use the prong collar successfully just because you don't need it with your dog.

• Our dog doesn't wear a collar in the house - she sleeps in our room and the tags wake us up if she moves around.  We only put her collar on if we're going somewhere.  Maybe that's what these people do too.
  • image rachelleevaughn:

I agree with knowing the situtation, but you also might just want to buy a harness and color alternative and take it over as a thanks for adopting gift.  I have to use an EZ-walk harness on our 115 lb lab, but I would NEVER use a pincher collar, to me you train a dog well enough and they don't need one.  But that is too young to be trying it out. 

If anything you have every right to take that dog back, I would be doing the same thing.  It's only been a day and if you are already worried this much, then maybe you knew from the beginning it wasn't the best fit.

the pinch collar is a tool, just like an EZ walk harness.  if you have to walk your dog on an EZ walk harness, i don't see that dog as being any better trained than one on a pinch collar.

Have you seen my monkey?
  • image Luvmy2sons:

And his adopter (which happens to be my husband's cousin) has a pincher collar on him, and I can see his tags are attached. My assumption is that he has it on as his regular collar. Her other dog has one on too. Should I say something? This guy is just a pup, a big pup - 7 months old, and a pittie/mastif mix - but still. It's the first thing I saw. He was just officially adopted YESTERDAY. I'm about to go get him and bring him back home. Am I overreacting? When she took him yesterday, she had a pretty leather collar and leash set... why is this on him now???

maybe they're having a difficult time walking him?  i'd probably send them a message, asking them how things are going, and if there's anything i could help them with.

Have you seen my monkey?
  • If it's your husband's cousin can't you ask why?  I wouldn't assume until I found out and maybe she doesn't know better (I give the benefit of the doubt because I was at a pet store with my df and he wanted to get my dog a pinch collar because he thought it would look cool).  My dog wears a collar I'm not sure what the name is but essentially it's fabric with rings on both ends and has chain through it.  He learned to back out of regular collars to go for solo jaunts and this is what my trainer suggested.  My df figured a pinch collar was the same.  I don't think he would have known that it would be bad to leave on all the time either, he's not mean or irresponsible with pets, but he doesn't have a lot of experience either.  So I'm just saying maybe she just needs to have a bit of education, or maybe it was just for a walk/going to the park or something.  Might as well find out.