What's Cooking?

quick! How do I correct mushy rice?

Is there anything I can do right now to un-mush it? 

And what did I do wrong so I don't keep screwing it up in the future?

I usually use a short cooking rice but wanted to use long cooking but every time I do it turns out mushy.

TIA for any help! 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.

Re: quick! How do I correct mushy rice?

• Well, you'll have to tell us the proportions of rice and water you used along with the cooking method for us to advise something different from what you're currently doing.
  • image philandclaire:
    Well, you'll have to tell us the proportions of rice and water you used along with the cooking method for us to advise something different from what you're currently doing.

3 cups rice to 6 cups water.

Regular long cooking rice.

Soaked all day then rinsed and cooked.  Bring to boiling, reduce heat, simmer until done.

But... it stays mushy and doesn't get fluffy and nice.

Same thing without soaking. 

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • For long grain rice I usually use between 1 1/2 & 1 3/4 cup water for 1 cup rice. Combine in a pot. Bring to a boil, turn heat down to simmer, cover and don't touch for 20 minutes. After 20 min. turn off heat and let sit for another 5-10 minutes before opening the lid.
    My Food Blog - Oishii

Photobucket

Levi 4.21.10
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Visit The Nest!
  • That seems like a lot of water to me.  I think I usually do 1 cup of rice to 1 1/2 cups of water. 
  • That is a ton of rice!

I guess I would get a large dutch oven and bring 3 cups rice and 5 1/4 cups water to a boil.  Then put the lid on, reduce to LOW, and cook 15 minutes.  Then remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 additional minutes.

• Why are you soaking your rice?  Ditto pp's, check your rice/water ratio, and cooking time.  I think you're probably overcooking the rice.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • If I am not cooking brown rice I only use parboiled. Water to rice ratio is still 2 to 1 when cooking and its very hard to overcook. I love it.
    Follow Me on Twitter!!
    this wife bakes.

One of my favorite cakes ever! I had a blast making this..all handmade with buttercream suds!!!!
  • too much water.  i don't know if it's possible to fix mushy rice.  and ditto the pp who asked why you're soaking it.  i've never soaked rice.
    Have you seen my monkey?