Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

I'm afraid I don't "fit in" here...

You are all super booky people and I can't keep up. :( I don't read nearly as much/fast as all of you do! I really wanted to do the SuBC, but can't even get through CoK before my library subscription runs out...Maybe Ill move on to another book and read CoK another time...

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/2ebs3z9.jpg[/IMG]

my read shelf:

Re: I'm afraid I don't "fit in" here...

• Don't worry! I would say that everyone has their own speed at which they enjoy books. Take your time and really enjoy what you are reading. Don't worry about how fast you finish whatever you are reading.

Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Its moreso that right now I can't get into ANYTHING. I even tried a short story I was sure to like I can't get into. Its irritating me because I am bored but can't get into any books.

my read shelf:
  • kayashkayash member
    10000 Comments Seventh Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    There a quite a few people here who read slowly/only read one book at a time/take big breaks between books/etc just as there are people who read a book a day/more than one book at a time/jump right into a book when they finish one/etc. We really do have all levels here. You don't have to do the challenges - I've done one and didn't get real close to finishing it. Just hang around to chat with us :)
    image Visit The Nest! image
  • Of course you do... you read! :)
    Taya 9.20.05 * Marlena 10.4.07 * Armando 11.3.93
  • kayashkayash member
    10000 Comments Seventh Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper

image reannalynne:
    Its moreso that right now I can't get into ANYTHING. I even tried a short story I was sure to like I can't get into. Its irritating me because I am bored but can't get into any books.

I've had that before where just nothing holds my interest. Sometimes I can pick up something I've already read and that will get me back but sometimes you just have to wait it out. One day you'll just find yourself picking up a book. Magazines are a good option during those phases.

image Visit The Nest! image
  • Thx guys. :)

my read shelf:
  • raza13raza13 member
    Fourth Anniversary

personally I've never done the challenges on here. I don't have the time or inclination to do it. I haven't read a lot of the same books the other women on here have, so I don't chip on the discussions too often. If you are a book lover in general, this is a good place for you.

Every once in awhile I get a little tired of reading so I focus on another hobby until I get the urge to pick up a book again. Nothing wrong with taking a little breather.

[IMG]http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc476/tliptak01/4C-2.jpg[/IMG]

my favorites shelf:
  • image reannalynne:
    Its moreso that right now I can't get into ANYTHING. I even tried a short story I was sure to like I can't get into. Its irritating me because I am bored but can't get into any books.

Don't worry about other people!!  Sometimes I have more free time, sometimes I have NO free time.  So sometimes I spend 1-2 months on 1 book!!  And I don't participate in challenges either.  But you can still discuss books that you've read or recommend books.

If you are in a book-funk, this is the best board to hang out.  The "Happy Friday" and end of the month posts are fun for me to go through because it exposes me to books that I've never heard of.  And if even people recommend it, I'll even try books that are in genres I've never even thought of trying!

Keep sticking around!

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2zi3sxi.jpg[/IMG]
  • double post!!
    [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2zi3sxi.jpg[/IMG]
  • LabbieLabbie member
    5000 Comments Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker

No! If you like books, you fit in here.

This is a great board with all kinds of readers- stick around!

image image image
  • As long as you enjoy reading, you definitely fit in here!  Don't let the amount of reading other ladies do or their challenge progress discourage you.  There are a lot of Nesties over here that don't participate in the challenges at all.  I usually try to but rarely make any significant progress. 

Also, don't let a reading slump bum you out.  I haven't done much reading so far this year.  I've attributed it to being tired from pregnancy and just not finding too many books that have been worthy of sticking with.  Sometimes you have to try a whole bunch until you find one that sucks you in and makes you feel like you're back in the reading game.  Check out some of the posts and browse some of our Goodreads lists.  You should be able to find tons of recs.

View Full Size ImageView Full Size ImageView Full Size Image
  • I feel I don't fit in here either.  I tend not to read what everyone else reads, so I am always out of the loop when bestsellers or the newest popular books are being discussed.  And I feel I read much slower than others.  I'm enjoying the shorter SuBC this year, especially after failing miserably at the SBC last year.

I'd say to stick around, if only for book suggestions and interesting discussions of books.  And besides, new posters/readers give different perspectives. 

I don't mind being held to a higher standard; I mind being held to a lower one. (Sam Seaborn, The West Wing)
    Anniversary
  • RevJenRevJen member
    Ninth Anniversary 25000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer
    How boring would it be if we all read the same thing?

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• Everyone reads at different paces.  Don't be discouraged by those that read a ton of books.  I know I felt like this when I first started posting on here, but quickly realized that this board is more about the love for books rather than how many books you read.

Cinnabun and Junebug say, "Go Wildcats!"

• Meh, I'm far from being one of the 'cool kids' here, but I've been pointed toward some of the best books I've ever read in my life.  Things that I never would have dreamed of picking up. 

My goal is to read 50 this year.  I'm at 35 now.  I'm guessing I'll end up with 60 or so.  Not a huge amount, but a lot more than I read in previous years.  This place inspires me to read as much as I can.  

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (sGpn)

• Oh, I'm such a slow reader too!  Don't let that shy you away from here.  I've found that hanging around here has also broadened my reading horizons since I'm exposed to different kinds of books/recommendations!  Please don't leave us!
  • image kayash:
    There a quite a few people here who read slowly/only read one book at a time/take big breaks between books/etc just as there are people who read a book a day/more than one book at a time/jump right into a book when they finish one/etc. We really do have all levels here. You don't have to do the challenges - I've done one and didn't get real close to finishing it. Just hang around to chat with us :)

This!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Sweet babies, you are so very loved.
    Jack 11/29/2009 and Brynne 7/11/2013
  • image fishoutofwater22:
    Oh, I'm such a slow reader too!  Don't let that shy you away from here.  I've found that hanging around here has also broadened my reading horizons since I'm exposed to different kinds of books/recommendations!  Please don't leave us!

This. It took me almost 4 months to read The Hunger Game books. It's not because I didn't like it because I loved it, I just don't devote a lot of time to read and when I do read, I'm a slow reader.

I stick around for the book recommendations and reviews. I hope you do too!

Anniversary
  • image dorothyinAus:

I feel I don't fit in here either.  I tend not to read what everyone else reads, so I am always out of the loop when bestsellers or the newest popular books are being discussed.  And I feel I read much slower than others.  I'm enjoying the shorter SuBC this year, especially after failing miserably at the SBC last year.

I'd say to stick around, if only for book suggestions and interesting discussions of books.  And besides, new posters/readers give different perspectives. 

I love to know what you are reading and what you'd recommend. I try to venture outside my comfort zone and "discover" new authors/books I may not have heard of otherwise.

Taya 9.20.05 * Marlena 10.4.07 * Armando 11.3.93
  • Everyone is different. I am a pretty slow reader. Everyone is welcome and you shouldn't stress about the speed that other people read books. I come on for ideas and post occasionally but I don't participate in the clubs and stuff. I just read books that I enjoy and want to read and post when I find something I can contribute to.
    Robin
    <><
    Tizzle 10/07 ~ Boppy 7/09 ~ Chicken 1/12

Robin (jason&robin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)

2014 Reading Goal: 85

• image Pebble_Cafe:
    Of course you do... you read! :)

I've gotta ditto this.

I read in fits and spurts.

I lurk mostly but any time I post I'm always amazed at the welcoming and warm responses I get.

Most important?  I've discovered TONZ of great books by lurking here that I never would have been turned on to other wise.

Please don't feel like you need to go away just because you're not a crazy fast reader.

It's a welcoming group of women and there's a lot of value here regardless of your pace or interests!

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • image bananabelle:
    In my opinion, there is too much emphasis on the sheer volume of books read here. Also, I never participate in the challenges because I have a to-read pile hundreds deep and I don't need a challenge to bog me down in books I have no interest in reading.

Ditto. I don't do challenges either. I love to read, but I also have several varied interests (and a time-consuming job!) that take up a lot of my time. But this is a good place to get book recommendations and talk about books when you're just so excited and need someone to talk about them with!

Maybe what you need is some riveting book recommendations. Have you read the Hunger Games trilogy and Anna and the French Kiss?

My favorite place on earth: The Amargosa Valley.
  • I love to read, but am a fairly slow reader. My goal for this year is 30 books and so far I've only been able to read 8. Everyone reads at their own pace, so don't feel bad if you're not as speedy a reader as others on here.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

“You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control"
    - Gayle Forman
    "People talk about escapism as if it's a bad thing... Once you've escaped, once you come back, the world is not the same as when you left it. You come back to it with skills, weapons, knowledge you didn't have before. Then you are better equipped to deal with your current reality."
    - Neil Gaiman

Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

•  I have not read Hunger Games or Anna and the French Kiss, but have hunger games book 1 on my nook. ill try it!

my read shelf: