Nest Book Club
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

What did you read in JULY?

Wow...end of the month already.

What did you read in July? How were they? How many is this for the year? 

image image image
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: What did you read in JULY?

• Shatter Me - Tahereh Mafi
    Sometimes It Happens - Lauren Barnholdt
    The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin
    Ditched: A Love Story - Robin Mellom
    Crossed - Ally Condie

I'm now at 32 for the year, which is so behind where I wanted to be. I had hoped to read twice as many books in July. I'm sucking this year. 

image image image
  • I read:

Columbine - Interesting. Not something I would normally read, but it was for SuBC.

The Hobbit - I actually wanted to skip this and just read the LOTR, but H made it his pick for SuBC. It was my second attempt at reading it, and I ended up loving it.

The Lord of the Rings - All 3 parts. I am actually taking a break for about an hour, and then I'll settle in and read the last 3 chapters of The Return of the King. I have liked it for the most part, but at times I was just muddling through. I love, love, love the hobbits and Gollum, but none of the other characters really interest me as much. And the descriptions of their travels? Sigh. If I have to read one more long-winded description of a scary path, I'll die. To sum up: I hate Tolkien's trademark descriptions, and I love Gollum, which H says is a little weird. 

ETA: I haven't been keeping count for the year, so I don't know how many books I've read. 

"Whether you come back by film or by page, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home." J.K. Rowling
  • July was a fantastic reading month for me! I only started reading again last summer, so this is by far the most books I have read in a month in my life. :) Go me!

Wings (Wings, #1) -- stay far away from this book! I will NOT be reading Wings #2

I'm at 22 books for the year and my goal is 25. I should probably up that number, but when school starts I will be reading a gagillion AP essays every 2-3 weeks instead. I wish I could count those in my books read :)
    BabyFruit Tickerimage

Mr. and Mrs. est. September 6, 2008 Expecting Baby #1 October 1, 2013

• The Next Big Thing by Johanna Edwards (2 stars)

Linger by Maggie Stiefvater (5 stars)

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly (3 stars)

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater (5 stars)

Belle Weather by Celia Rivenbark (5 stars)

The Likeness by Tana French (4 stars)

You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning by Celia Rivenbark (4 stars)

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling (5 stars)

Bed of Roses by Nora Roberts (3 stars)

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay (4 stars)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling (5 stars)

I'm at 72/100 for the year. 

Ziggy's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Lilypie - (Nvhz)

4 losses: Blighted ovum 1/11, CP 12/11, CP 3/12, and our perfectly healthy baby girl Charlotte Grace, missed M/C 5/31/12 at 8w5d

Surprise unmedicated BFP 9/21/12!! Beta #1 9/22 (10 DPO): 46 Beta #2 9/24 (12 DPO): 226! Heartbeat 136 bpm at 7w! It's a BOY!  Theodore Joshua 5/23/13 7:36am 7lb 13 oz, 19.25 in
  • Tons! I moved for a new job and it took a few weeks before my H could come out and join me.

In no particular order:

The Lens and the Looker

Four Fish: The Future of the Last Wild Food

Outlander

The Bone Yard

Revolution

The Ghost Map

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

I'm at 37 of 52 for the year. 

• Push

The Blue Light Project

Eve

My Sister's Keeper

Columbine

Portrait in Sepia

Forever

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters

Divergent

The Confessions of Catherine de Medici

The Monster of Florence

Lean Mean Thirteen

The Confession of Katherine Howard

Twelve Sharp

Eleven on Top

In the Garden of Beasts

I am at 118 for the year. 

My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• RevJenRevJen member
    Ninth Anniversary 25000 Comments 500 Love Its First Answer

The Queen's Governess

Castles

Last Sacrifice

A Game of Thrones

Crocodile on the Sandbank

The Princess Diaries

Interworld

Dinosaur Planet

My favorite Cake Wreck ever.

• j*&p*j*&p* member
    Tenth Anniversary 5000 Comments 250 Love Its Name Dropper
    image terpchristy:

July was a fantastic reading month for me! I only started reading again last summer, so this is by far the most books I have read in a month in my life. :) Go me!

Wings (Wings, #1) -- stay far away from this book! I will NOT be reading Wings #2

I'm at 22 books for the year and my goal is 25. I should probably up that number, but when school starts I will be reading a gagillion AP essays every 2-3 weeks instead. I wish I could count those in my books read :)

Good for you, that's awesome! 

image image
  • The Amber Spyglass

Sloppy Firsts

My Horizontal Life

A Storm of Swords

A Feast for Crows

And I am at 38 for the year which already puts me one ahead from last year but last year I had more important things to do than reading like planning my wedding :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
    my read shelf:
    Lisa T's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Books read in 2011: 32 of 75
  • 10 books in July - I can't believe I read this many, but goodreads says I'm still behind by 8 - I think ...goodreads is down for the moment - books

Nature Girl - Carl Hiaasen

Under the Duvet - Marian Keyes

Shopaholic & Sister - Sophie Kinsella

Comfort Food - Kate Jacobs

A Love that Multiplies - Jim Bob Duggar

The Jane Austen Book Club - Karen Joy Fowler

The Boyfriend List - E. Lockhart

How I Live Now - Meg Rosoff

Secrets of a Shoe Addict - Beth Harbison 

The Bachelorette Party - Karen McCullah Lutz

• 14 for the month, 88 for the year...and I may finish another audiobook today.

What Happened to Goodbye by Sarah Dessen ? 4 stars

Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks ? 1 star

Making Waves by Lorna Seilstad ? 3 stars

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen ? 3 stars

Life's a Beach by Claire Cook ? 2 stars

Breathe by Lisa Tawn Bergren ? 3 stars

The Priest's Graveyard by Ted Dekker ? 2 stars

Surrender the Heart by M.L. Tyndall ? 3 stars

Delirium by Lauren Oliver ? 3 stars

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly ? 2 stars

Shoe Addicts Anonymous by Beth Harbison ? 3 stars

The Secrets of Newberry by Victor McGlothin ? 2 stars

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer ? 3 stars

This Fine Life by Eva Marie Everson ? 4 stars

Books read in 2009: 112
    Books read in 2010: 153
    Books read in 2011: 160
    Books read in 2012: 134
    Books read in 2013: 110
    Books read in 2014: 151
    Books read in 2015: 153
    Books read in 2016: 31

Leah (packfan20)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Lilypie - (Bh7p)

http://lbdf.lilypie.com/1zWJm6.png
    <a href="//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/" style="height: 20px; width: 40px; position: absolute; opacity: 0.85; z-index: 8675309; display: none; cursor: pointer; border: medi
  • j*&p*j*&p* member
    Tenth Anniversary 5000 Comments 250 Love Its Name Dropper

Ha! Y_L, I love the Snapes on a Plane.

I read:

Sean Griswold's Head by Lindsey Leavitt - totally adorable, I'd recommend for all Sarah Dessen fans. This book had the same smart, contemporary YA feel to it as her books and it made me both laugh and cry.

The Liar Society by Lisa and Laura Roecker - cute, light hearted mystery. Took me a while to get into, but I ended up liking it.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - one of my favorites in the series  

Hourglass by Myra McEntire- Maybe my expectations were too high for this one 

I noticed on Goodreads I finished nearly all of these at the beginning of the month so I started off strong, but my reading (other than reading student research papers and homework) has slowed down since I started teaching my summer school class. 

image image
  • image j*&p*:

Ha! Y_L, I love the Snapes on a Plane.

"I have had it with these motherf**king Snapes on this motherf**king plane!" 

image image image
  • fabkfabk member
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer

I can't believe I outdid my June record, but I have read 22 books this month.

I read: Dairy Queen                                                                            Rumours                                                                                                     Anne of the Island                                                                                          Odd and the Frost Giants                                                                                The Help                                                                                                      Lock and Key                                                                                          Sisterhood Everlasting                                                                Delirium                                                                                                        Are you there Vodka? It's me Chelsea                                                                The Anglofiles                                                                                                 Ella Enchanted                                                                                             HP1                                                                                                    Linger                                                                                                           The Metamorphosis                                                                                        The Nanny Diaries                                                                                          The Luxe                                                                                                  Smokin 17                                                                                                    The Lost World              

I am currently reading Deadliest Catch by the Hillstrandt bro's, which I should finish tonight, Catcher in the Rye, which I should finish in the next half hour and North and South which I would really like to finish today.

With those completed I will be up to  106 of 150 for this year. I have already upped it once, I think I will again if I get to keep reading like this.            

• I didn't read as much as usual this month (although I blame in on AGoT- I've been reading that for the last two weeks!).

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; min-height: 14.0px} span.s1 {letter-spacing: 0.0px} span.s2 {text-decoration: underline ; letter-spacing: 0.0px}

July:

Smokin? Seventeen by Janet Evanovich  **

Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli ****

Fractured by Karin Slaughter  ****

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater  ***

Undone by Karin Slaughter  ****

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer?s Stone by JK Rowling  (reread)*****

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling  (reread)*****

The Red Tent by Anita Diamant  ****

The Reader by Bernhard Schlink  ****

Feed by Mira Grant  *****

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by JK Rowling  (reread)*****

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly  ****

MT:  12 

YT:  102/111 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • kayashkayash member
    10000 Comments Seventh Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper

I started re-reading the Sookie series so I would remember what had happened when I read the newest one. So:

Dead Unitl Dark

Living Dead in Dallas

Club Dead

Dead to the World

Dead as a Doornail

And also A Love That Multiplies: An Up-Close View of How They Make It Work by the Duggars (don't judge)

I'm at 49 for the year. I'm way behind on my goal but that's 14 more than I read all year last year so I'm ok with it.

image Visit The Nest! image
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes

All the Pretty Girls

The Godfather

Catch-22

The Hunger Games

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire 

and I'll probably be finished with The Internet is a Playground today. A pretty good month for me. 

my read shelf:
    Jacinda Dietz's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) ExerciseMilestone
  • Princess Bride - 3/5

The Climb by Anatoli Boukreev - 4/5

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown - 3/4

The Associate by John Grisham - 2/5

The Waste Lands (Dark Tower, book 3) by Stephen King - 5/5

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/2zi3sxi.jpg[/IMG]
  • From Dead to Worse

All Together Dead

Firefly Lane

The Butcher and the Vegetarian

I loved them all! Fifteen for the year, but I don't care about quantity/goals, etc.

My favorite place on earth: The Amargosa Valley.
  • Club Dead 4 stars

Dead to the World 4 Stars

Dead as a Doornail 4 stars

Definitely Dead 4 stars

All together Dead 4 stars

From Dead to Worse 4 stars

Dead in the Family 4 stars

Dead and Gone 4 stars

Shiver 4 stars

Linger 3 stars

Heartless 5 stars

Revolution 4 stars

Dead Reckoning 3 stars

So that's 13 total books for July, not bad, I haven't been great this past week, I'm struggling through Forever.  I hop to finish today so that would make 1 more.  

Books read in 2011: 111

Books read in 2012: 100
    Books read in 2013: 75
    Books read in 2014: 130
    Books read in 2015: 98
    my read shelf:
    Jennifer's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Marry Him - The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough  ***

One Fifth Avenue **

The Queen of Attolia **** 

Queen By Right **

Born Round - The Secret History of a Full Time Eater ****

The Almost Moon **

Music for Chameleons ****

The Tiger's Wife ****

When Everything Changed ****

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother ***

Ice Bound ***

The Color Purple *****

The King of Attolia ****

Brida ***

Anne of Green Gables *****

I'm at 114/200 for the year - almost on track!

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/241w8sm.png[/IMG]

[url=http://www.thebump.com/?utm_source=ticker&utm_medium=UBB&utm_campaign=tickers][img]http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tt16cc0b.aspx[/img][/url]
  • - The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff (2

)

- Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand (4

)

- Homer's Odyssey by Gwen Cooper (4

)

- A Dance with Dragons by GRRRR Martin (5

)

The Rainbow by D.H. Lawrence (4

)

- The Ninth Life of Louis Drax by Liz Jensen (4

)

- Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (4

)

- The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa (3

)

and I will be finishing A Country of Vast Designs: James K. Polk and the Conquest of the American Continent by Robert Merry today.

imageimageimage NESTIE FORMERLY KNOWN AS BOONEYBEAR. Stooooopid nest.
  • Shine by Lauren Myracle (4 stars)

If I Stay by Gayle Forman (4 stars)

Tolstoy and the Purple Chair: My Year of Magical Reading by Nina Sankovitch (5 stars) 

32 Candles by Ernessa T. Carter (3 stars)

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian By Sherman Alexie (4 stars)

Where She Went (If I Stay #2) by Gayle Forman (3 stars)

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly (4 stars)

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery (4 stars)

**I have finished 34 books so far this year. I upped my goal from 50 to 60 books to read by the end of the year and Goodreads says I'm right on track!

image image Anniversary image my read shelf:
    Rebecca's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I've done horribly this month.

Firefly Lane

Sing You Home

Forever

...and I'll be done with Dead Reckoning today.

It's sad because I didn't love any of them. I'm at 37 for the year.

Brittany (brittk0486)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• I feel like July was a busy month, and for some reason I also read the most that I have in awhile. 

Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie 2): 3 *s

Not My Daughter : 4 *s

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan: 4 *s

The Sky is Everywhere: 2 *s

The Color Purple: 4 *s

Wanderlust: A love affair with 5 continents: 2 *s

Revolution: 4 *s

My Horizontal Life: 4 *s

I read 8 for the month and am at 29/35 for the year. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    ... and the Goblet of Fire
    ... and the Order of the Phoenix

I'm enjoying the what I've read so far.

When You Reach Me - Okay. Not exactly what I was expecting.

Pink - super liked!

Small as an Elephant - cute, a bit sad, but good.

Sloppy First - this was a re-read

Her and Me and You - okay. really into the story then it just ended rather sudden that I thought maybe my copy was a misprint and pages were missing.

The Wrong Mother - really good, but creepy!

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer - loved it!

Kiss Me, Kill Me (Scarlett Wakefield series) - Liked it

Taya 9.20.05 * Marlena 10.4.07 * Armando 11.3.93
  • Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

Revolution by Jennifer Donnelly

The Twisted Thread by Charlotte Bacon

Tris & Izzie by Mette Ivie Harrison

Spooky Little Girl by Laurie Notaro

I read 5 books for the month.  Three of these were read this past week, so I'm hoping that's a good sign that I've finally gotten my reading groove back.  This puts me at 25 for the year.

View Full Size ImageView Full Size ImageView Full Size Image
  • Beach Blondes - the author is escaping me right now. 3 stars. It was a very long book and consumed a big chunk of my July.

Next Summer - Hailey Abbott. 3 stars

After Summer - Hailey Abbott. 2 stars

5th Horseman - James Patterson. 3 stars

This was my slowest month of the year because of the first book above and a lot going on in July. I'll make up for it in August :)

ETA: I'm at 50/75 for 2011. I'm very happy!

Books read in 2012: 61
    Books read in 2011: 77
    Books read in 2010: 42
    Books read in 2009: 52
  • 19. The Hollow Hills -- Stewart, Mary (audio book)
    20. The Red Shoes -- Powell, Michael and Emeric Pressburger
    21. Revolution -- Donnelly, Jennifer
    22. Anne of Avonlea -- Montgomery, L.M. (audio book)
    23.  The United States of Arugula:  The Sun Dried, Cold Pressed, Dark Roasted, Extra Virgin Story of the American Food Revolution -- Kamp, David
    24. The Cat Who Could Read Backwards -- Braun, Lilian Jackson
    25. The School of Essential Ingredients -- Bauermeister, Erica
    I don't mind being held to a higher standard; I mind being held to a lower one. (Sam Seaborn, The West Wing)
    Anniversary
  • Entwined, Good in Bed, Wildefire, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Forever, Revolution, Vanish.

I've read 64 total this year.  

my read shelf:
    Lauren's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)