Decorating & Renovating

bower power

anyone read her post where she makes an interestingly timed joke about Amy Winehouse.  getting hot over there.

Re: bower power

• I hate to say it but I think she knew about Amy. I read her blog and even though she has made other comments in the past that have made me internet cringe, I think she says them jokingly... People are certainly fired up over there.
    Anniversary Everything is amazing and nobody is happy. -LCK
  • I read that and thought it was in pretty poor taste. Then I saw at the end where she said she just found out about her death. I looked at the date of her post--I can't imagine that she didn't know Amy Winehouse had died by Tuesday, until someone through her blog told her. That news was EVERYWHERE.
  • I think she knew as well--way too much of a coincidence and it was everywhere this weekend. Even DH (who has no pop culture knowledge or even a facebook account) knew about it. If she didn't know, why did she use it to describe a DEAD bush? She has made similar borderline offensive/inappropriate comments in the past, and this one definitely was in poor taste. I deleted her after one such comment, and her writing style has definitely not changed.  

Unrelated to Amy Winehouse, but the YHL writing style is getting more Bower Power-ish--unnecessarily wordy, the nicknames (the "purple ring pop" flowers from today....ridiculous), vernacular type writing as opposed to professional (just from today: lookie, dunno, muuuuch, switcheroo), stupid inside joke references, etc.  

• image pennymonsterrr:
    I hate to say it but I think she knew about Amy. I read her blog and even though she has made other comments in the past that have made me internet cringe, I think she says them jokingly... People are certainly fired up over there.

Of course she did.  The title of the post was "put 'er in the ground."

we all fall down sometimes
    brass and ballet flats
  • image mrs.ann:

Unrelated to Amy Winehouse, but the YHL writing style is getting more Bower Power-ish--unnecessarily wordy, the nicknames (the "purple ring pop" flowers from today....ridiculous), vernacular type writing as opposed to professional (just from today: lookie, dunno, muuuuch, switcheroo), stupid inside joke references, etc.  

I was thinking this exactly!  For me, it is all the sexual innuendo that is going on in YHL writing ("that's what she said," etc).  If Sherri really is good friends with Katie Bower IRL (which it seems as if they are), then I do think it is hurting YHL.  I'm having major issues with both blogs, obvs.

For BowerPower, I really cringe when she makes racial jokes.   

• I also think Katie puts on a facade for Sherry.  Hopefully showing her true colors will cause distance and yhl will go back to being themselves.
  • It was a racial joke that caused my delete of Bower Power.

The flowers and berries YHL joke earlier this week--OMG completely unnecessary and unprofessional. This is their JOB. Please just go back to house crashing, mood boards and reader redesigns. I am much more interested in practical home design than seeing 10 pictures of some unknown flower from their yard. To give them credit, the house crashing this week was pretty awesome.

• image mrs.ann:

It was a racial joke that caused my delete of Bower Power.

The flowers and berries YHL joke earlier this week--OMG completely unnecessary and unprofessional. This is their JOB. Please just go back to house crashing, mood boards and reader redesigns. I am much more interested in practical home design than seeing 10 pictures of some unknown flower from their yard. To give them credit, the house crashing this week was pretty awesome.

I totally agree about the "twigs and berries."  It was AWFUL!  And I thought those prints were terrible too.  And seeing their ugly (IMO) bedroom again just got me riled up.  That animal head above their bed is terrible.  

I agree that for a professional blog, they need to stay away from immature jokes, though it seems that those immature jokes make their way into every posts these days. 

• It's such a shame because I really used to love reading YHL and Bower Power. They were both so good at giving helpful decorating and organizing tips that anyone could use.  I was hoping things would improve when they bought their new houses, but it has become almost painful for me to read any of their posts-- too lengthy, too wordy, and they try too hard to have their writing come across as clever.  

What was the racist comment that Bower Power made?  

• I can give Bower Power a little leeway because that's just something she does for fun, right? Her hobby? Not her sole income. (although I am a fairly new reader and never saw any racial jokes - not cool)

I've been reading YHL for a little over a year and the language has been really off-putting lately. I have discussed their boring filler posts on here before, but the yeah, the sexual innuendo jokes and increasingly casual dialogue is really starting to grate. This IS their full time gig and I am not an 18 year old looking to giggle. 

EDIT: OK, I just read the Bower Power entry and comments, and it's not even so much the joke itself (which was pretty tasteless), but the "gosh, y'all, I'm just a lil ole country girl, thanks for cluing me in!" routine that's annoying. Please. She spends half her life online, she HAD to have known. I agree with one of the early comments that she posts things just to get a rise out of people. 

"Get your facts first. Then you can distort them as you please." ~ Mark Twain
  • She knew, which bothers me even more bc it's pretty obvious she knew she died over the weekend and won't fess up to it and admit it was out of line so soon.

I actually cllicked through my Reader yesterday JUST to make sure someone pointed out how crass that comment was.

I honestly think I'm just going to delete her. I've been stunned by a few offensive comments she's made already in the short time I've had her in my Reader and I think that's enough for me. I rarely read her ramblings anyways and she isn't offering much content, really.

• I found this particularly offensive (though some of you may not agree):

March 7, 2011 "Magic Carpet" post on BowerPower: 

"Most of you know that I like white.  I have a white couch, white dishes and towels?heck, I even have a white baby. " 

• kayashkayash
    10000 Comments Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Love Its
    image HesitantBride:

I found this particularly offensive (though some of you may not agree):

"Most of you know that I like white.  I have a white couch, white dishes and towels?heck, I even have a white baby. " 

Don't forget this gem from the recent outdoor updates post:

"My only requirements were that it needs to be big  and it needs to be black.  just like how I like my babies.  Don?t worry Will ? 50% ain?t that bad :) "

I still can't over that insane video in the pinterest challenge posts on BP and YHL. So stupid.

image Visit The Nest! image
  • image kayash:
    image HesitantBride:

Don't forget this gem from the recent outdoor updates post:

"My only requirements were that it needs to be big  and it needs to be black.  just like how I like my babies.  Don?t worry Will ? 50% ain?t that bad :) "

Of course!  How could I forget that one? :/  It is terrible. 

ETA:  Isn't she aware at all that she lives in the south, and this is not appropriate? 

• she needs to fess up.  tell the world, I knew she had died, I made a crappy joke at a bad time, I'm sorry.

She will never do that.  Never.

As a pp said, she's playing the "I'm a lil' ol' country gal who didn't know any better"  You do know better.  If you didn't, you wouldn't have made such an obvious grab for attention joke.  she needs to man up (woman up?) and write a post that is 100% apology.  no but, I's or however, or in my defense.  Just an apology.  to the readers, to her family.  her edit on the bottom?  no where does it say I'm sorry, or I apologize, or I made a mistake.  It's the anti-apology she hoped would be the get out of jail free card.

• New poster and longtime reader of YHL and Bower Power. Yes, yes, yes, to inappropriate comments, "little ole me" backtracking, and the Greek chorus chirping about how mean people are when they call her out. The racial jokes, there was one I saw about she loves another blogger because that blogger calls her Homo, and just a personal peeve - these are such hetero blogs. The babies are dating? Really? Is there any room for non-hetero relationships there?
  • image HesitantBride:

This was the quote when I deleted--sorry I couldn't exactly remember it earlier. Maybe not racist per se but IMO way out of line. With the rambling writing style, numerous photography posts, house 5x the size of mine I was close to deleting. This was when I finally got fed up enough to delete.

YHL is close. I am already to the skimming the writing stage because it is so annoying. There are so many other quality decor blogs out there, and I feel like YHL is coasting on past success and wants to get paid to live their life. The whole "this is our personal scrapbook and we want to remember these things about our life" is absurd. It is your job not your personal blog the grandparents read.

• image mrs.ann:
    image HesitantBride:

YHL is close. I am already to the skimming the writing stage because it is so annoying. There are so many other quality decor blogs out there, and I feel like YHL is coasting on past success and wants to get paid to live their life. The whole "this is our personal scrapbook and we want to remember these things about our life" is absurd. It is your job not your personal blog the grandparents read.

Again, I totally agree with you!  You cannot use the reason that this is a personal blog when it is a PROFESSIONAL blog.  I've come to the realization in life that getting paid for something always means you give up part of yourself (your time, your privacy in the case of reality stars, etc).  They need to recognize that because they are getting paid for this blog, they have a greater responsibility.   

• sorry folks. just read KB's blog today (July 29) and had NO IDEA AmyW had passed. i learned of it by her update at the bottom of the post.

i'm sort of baffled at the number of people that suspect her to be lying. some of us have busy lives that don't involve mainstream TV and radio. when i don't listen to pandora i listen to NPR- didn't hear a peep about it. 

also, just curious: if you don't *like* either of these blogs, why do you read/browse them? 

• I find it pretty unlikely, because I don't even spend that much time online or watching TV, esp on the weekend, and it was ALL over my Facebook, CNN, Yahoo, etc. It would have been hard to miss.
  • image mlmiu:

sorry folks. just read KB's blog today (July 29) and had NO IDEA AmyW had passed. i learned of it by her update at the bottom of the post.

i'm sort of baffled at the number of people that suspect her to be lying. some of us have busy lives that don't involve mainstream TV and radio. when i don't listen to pandora i listen to NPR- didn't hear a peep about it. 

also, just curious: if you don't *like* either of these blogs, why do you read/browse them? 

I'm more curious about someone's very first post sticking up for her/it. As for myself, it's very much a "love to hate" type thing. That's why I keep reading. (YHL, anyway....I only check BP once every few weeks. Their house is NMS)

"Get your facts first. Then you can distort them as you please." ~ Mark Twain
  • image mlmiu:

sorry folks. just read KB's blog today (July 29) and had NO IDEA AmyW had passed. i learned of it by her update at the bottom of the post.

You joined today just so that you could defend her?  That's weird and highly suspect. 

• image Sally J:

I totally also suspect this is a BP fan just coming over here to defend her.  I've been reading YHL for something like 3 years (I think, I can't remember, but it's been a very long time), and I am getting ready to quit.  It just has become part of my reading rountine. As for BP, I read that only on occasion.  I like a few of her ideas when it comes to decor, but I hate all the personal stuff and the way she writes.   

• i joined cause my hubs and i are getting ready to buy our first house and it needs some work, so i'm here to get some new ideas in a non-blog or pinteret format. before now, i haven't been on the nest at all (i was on the knot when we got married several years ago). also, not "defending her," just trying to say she wasn't the only one who didn't hear about AW's passing- and i'm completely stumped as to why that's so hard to believe. i'm on my facebook every day (don't do twitter) and i honestly had not heard until today (from the BP blog). but like i said, my life's busy. we just got an accepted offer on a house and i'm 8 weeks pregnant, so there's a lot keeping me occupied.

i "read" (sometimes just look at the pictures, not gonna lie) both YHL and BP (and other non-design related blogs). i don't read/post any comments on YHL b/c there are too many to deal with. i do think YHL has changed since i first started reading a few years ago, and i don't always agree with their style choices. but, i like to see what they try. (side note: i HATE the giveaways. i refuse to be bribed to visit/post on someone's blog. i sort of miss the old days where there were WAY less commenters, giveaways, and that sort of thing).

i like KBs blog cause i like her honesty and style. i linked to her from YHL a year or so ago, and i like that her blog is smaller and more intimate than YHL. plus, since she's not doing it for a living like YHL, i feel like she can be more "herself" - which i don't mind since i'm the one choosing to read her blog. if she starts to irritate me, i'll stop reading.

that's about it. 

• in reality, if she knew of the death before the comment or not, the comment was in poor taste.

She needs to issue a formal apology, if nothing else, to the family of AW.  if it was truly a mistake in timing (and seriously, it would've been in poor taste even if AW hadn't died) then apologize.  not an update at the bottom of a post which, despite what posters said, was NOT an apology.

Write a new post.  Start with I'm sorry about xyz.   All she's done is make excuses for her rudeness.   No I"m sorry, BUT...no,  Just apologize.  it doen't have to be lengthy.  JUST APOLOGIZE.  Even if she doesn't think she's wrong, which I suspect she does b/c she keeps making up weak excuses, apolgize for making the comment.

• I just went over to BP to read that post and based on the context in which she referred to Amy Winehouse, I cannot believe she didn't know. She compares her to a dead bush, as opposed to one "full of life". Her blog in general bugs me, which is why I don't read many of her postings. I'm sad to see that YHL is falling into the BP fashion in terms of content and wording of posts. YHL was so much better before they moved. I understand that they have a kid now and all that jazz, but those posts could easily be on a personal blog for their family to read. Like the post about breast feeding? Yeah, totally don't need that on your professional website. I liked their blog for the home renovation and ideas.