Dallas-Fort Worth Nesties
Dear Community,

Our tech team has launched updates to The Nest today. As a result of these updates, members of the Nest Community will need to change their password in order to continue participating in the community. In addition, The Nest community member's avatars will be replaced with generic default avatars. If you wish to revert to your original avatar, you will need to re-upload it via The Nest.

If you have questions about this, please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Note: This only affects The Nest's community members and will not affect members on The Bump or The Knot.

Your strangest beliefs...

Ok, I was lurking on SB and was inspired.  They had a thread where people talked about their strangest beliefs and different supernatural experiences they had.  It was so cool.

It requires all of us to be a little open minded, but I think that this stuff is sooooo cool.

Here's the link so you know what I'm talking about.

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_strangest-beliefs

Let's share some freaky stuff!

Re: Your strangest beliefs...

• I believe in "messages."  Like when your dreams tell you to do something, or you have an overwhelming feeling to call someone, or when "something" tells you to stay home instead of going out..

For example:

I was dating a guy in 2003.  Well, one night I had this crazy dream where I went out in Ft Worth and was driving home.  I was driving down 35 and exiting 820 East, and I saw a huge wreck.  And I recognized the truck that was involved as my girlfriend, Toni's, truck.  She ran into another car head-on in the dream, but I didn't know if she survived or not.  I took it as a message that I needed to call her and reconnect (we had lost touch).

1 week exactly after that dream, the guy that I was dating was involved in a head-on collision.  And he passed away.

• I believe in Spirits and possesion. I think they come from my Catholic background.
  • image bsn1752:

I believe in "messages."  Like when your dreams tell you to do something, or you have an overwhelming feeling to call someone, or when "something" tells you to stay home instead of going out..

For example:

I was dating a guy in 2003.  Well, one night I had this crazy dream where I went out in Ft Worth and was driving home.  I was driving down 35 and exiting 820 East, and I saw a huge wreck.  And I recognized the truck that was involved as my girlfriend, Toni's, truck.  She ran into another car head-on in the dream, but I didn't know if she survived or not.  I took it as a message that I needed to call her and reconnect (we had lost touch).

1 week exactly after that dream, the guy that I was dating was involved in a head-on collision.  And he passed away.

Creepy! Sorry for your loss too.

• image bsn1752:

I believe in "messages."  Like when your dreams tell you to do something, or you have an overwhelming feeling to call someone, or when "something" tells you to stay home instead of going out..

I also think there is some merit in "messages."

I am a 100% full believer in karma. A lot of the doormat tendancies (s/o BM discussion yesterday) I have come from not wanting to put negative energy out into the universe and have it come back to me.

I fully believe that there are psychics who are the real deal. Not the televised stuff late at night but there are people who get feelings about things like the future or whether or not a couple is a good match.

I also believe that you will not go until it is "your time" and that we all have a clock ticking down. My great-grandfather turned 94 yesterday. I call him the Bionic Man because he has a heart stent that was put in in 1993 that was only supposed to last until 2003 and at that time we would basically be waiting for him to pass of his old age/the valve wearing out. It's 2011. Thanksgiving week last year he fell and began to bleed out due to blood thinners, he was given 10 units of blood in the ER and we were told he would not make it through the night, he did and is stronger than ever.

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/lesalyric/15349_591037319564_25305541_34753593_3721279_n-1.jpg[/IMG]

TTC#1 since 1/2011

1/2012: Fertility workup including SA/HSG - no issues. DX: Unexplained

IUI#1 = BFN 7/2012

IUI#2 = BFN 8/2012

IVF#1 = BFP - ER 12/6, ET 12/11 - 20R, 15M, 14F - 2 transferred, 2 frozen

Betas: #1(9dp5dt)-50, #2(13dp5dt)-467, #3(16dp5dt)-839, #4(20dp5dt)-1825

Saw HB - 7w1d, missed m/c - 9w1d

PAIF/SAIF Welcome
  • image lesalyric:

I also believe that you will not go until it is "your time" and that we all have a clock ticking down. My great-grandfather turned 94 yesterday. I call him the Bionic Man because he has a heart stent that was put in in 1993 that was only supposed to last until 2003 and at that time we would basically be waiting for him to pass of his old age/the valve wearing out. It's 2011. Thanksgiving week last year he fell and began to bleed out due to blood thinners, he was given 10 units of blood in the ER and we were told he would not make it through the night, he did and is stronger than ever.

I agree with this as well.  I think that there is a "time" for everyone.  The fact that some come out unscathed from a massive car wreck, but others can hit their head skiing and die...  I fully believe in a "time".

• Oh, this was on the SB post, but I also believe that children and animals can see spirits/ghosts.  I think that they have a heightened sense for things like that.

Cadence was riding in the backseat after her 3rd Birthday Party, just staring out the window.  She said to me "Mommy, do you think Grandma Denise had fun at my party?"

(Side Bar, Denise was my mother... that passed away in 1996.  Cadence only knows that "Grandma Denise" was my mom, but that she's never met her).

I was a little weirded out, but I said "Well, Cadence, I bet that she did."  She went on... "Do you remember when she was jumping and her big glasses fell off?"  That part gave me goosebumps.  My mom wore those giant 1980's glasses for years before she got contacts.  We were at a jump place and Cadence was inside of one jumphouse alone for about 20 minutes just having the time of her life. 

Even typing it out right now gives me butterflies.

• I believe babies can see things we cannot see. When my daughter sits in her crib and talks to a corner of the room, and laughs and plays and interacts as if someone is there, I firmly believe that she's not really alone. It's a comforting thought to believe that even though my beloved Grandy died before I had children, they still know her in their hearts.
    imageimg
  • image bsn1752:

Oh, this was on the SB post, but I also believe that children and animals can see spirits/ghosts.  I think that they have a heightened sense for things like that.

ITA. We have a beloved uncle that died at 28, I was 12 my sister was 5. They were very close before he died and she didn't understand death at the time. We lived in a house that he had spent a ton of time in and she would sometimes stand on the fireplace and just zone out then start talking to my uncle like he was right there. She would laugh and laugh and play alone over by the fire place for hours if we would let her.

[IMG]http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/lesalyric/15349_591037319564_25305541_34753593_3721279_n-1.jpg[/IMG]

TTC#1 since 1/2011

IUI#1 = BFN 7/2012

IUI#2 = BFN 8/2012

PAIF/SAIF Welcome
  • I believe in "messages".  I can't tell you how many times I have had dreams that have become real life situations.  It may not always be big or end in death but I have dreamt it and with a week or two it happens.

I also believe in "timing".  My appendix ruptured when I was in 5th grade.  I starting feeling sick like I had the flu on Saturday, by Thursday I was in so much pain I couldn't walk, I hadn't had any food or water in days and kept throwing up.  Went to the doctor Saturday and she just barely touched my stomach and knew it was my appendix.  My mom rushed me to Cook's Children and they waited 4 hours to send me to a room and when they did they only admitted me because I was dehydrated.  Finally Monday morning they did surgery and took out what was left of my appendix.  I had 3 blood transfusion to rid my blood of all the toxins and my parents were told Monday during my surgery I wasn't going to make it through the week.  They were told to start making funeral arrangements.  I stayed in the hospital for 2 week, lost 40 lbs, and lost all my hair but I made it through.  I fully believe it wasn't my time.

I also believe that animals/children can see spirits/ghost.  We live in a much older home and DH swears there is a ghost living in the house.  Well our dog believes it too.  She is scared to death of our front coat closet and will randomly just stare at nothing and then start yelping and run away with her tail between her legs.  We were watching Paranormal Activity 2 and the dog was outside and came back in the house, froze in front of the tv, growled and then yelped and ran outside.  She wouldn't come back in that night.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You guys are giving me chills!    I don't have personal experience with kiddos but I know my dog definitely sees/senses things. 

I don't believe in karma or fortune telling.   I do however believe that any person can get a divine message or premonition... I don't think it takes a person of certain skill to receive that kind of message.

I do believe everyone has a "time".  I don't think it is a pre-determined clock ticking kind of thing...but a maze of choices (for lack of a better term) that lead you to different outcomes.

ETA:  Also, I know this is slightly outlandish and goes against most things I believe in....but I think its possible that our pets could be the souls of ones we've lost sent to protect and comfort us.

• image bsn1752:

Oh, this was on the SB post, but I also believe that children and animals can see spirits/ghosts.  I think that they have a heightened sense for things like that.

Cadence was riding in the backseat after her 3rd Birthday Party, just staring out the window.  She said to me "Mommy, do you think Grandma Denise had fun at my party?"

(Side Bar, Denise was my mother... that passed away in 1996.  Cadence only knows that "Grandma Denise" was my mom, but that she's never met her).

I was a little weirded out, but I said "Well, Cadence, I bet that she did."  She went on... "Do you remember when she was jumping and her big glasses fell off?"  That part gave me goosebumps.  My mom wore those giant 1980's glasses for years before she got contacts.  We were at a jump place and Cadence was inside of one jumphouse alone for about 20 minutes just having the time of her life. 

That is one of the coolest stories I have ever heard.

Anyone who has had a baby HAS to believe they can see things we can't.  I always thought so when Melodie was a baby--I wondered who the heck was talking to her.

I do believe in messages or leadings--but I believe they are from God.  I am with Tiffany on the psychic thing.  I also believe in evil spirits and this is because I believe I have actually come into contact with them on more than one occasion.  If you believe in good, you have to believe in the evil, I guess.

Has anyone ever read This Present Darkness?  That book changed my entire thinking on how I perceived the spiritual realm.

• Wow Brianna that story gave me the chills I can only imagine how you must have felt.

I believe in ghosts or spirits for sure.

My dad used to swear he would see his mother (who passed away when I was 1) and one night he woke up when I was around 5 and rushed us all out of the house.  When asked what was going on he said his mom told him something wasnt right and to get out.  My mom swears she thought he went nuts but we found out the next day there was a slow gas leak.

This is bad but when I was in highschool we used to frequent this haunted cemetary and I have some pretty crazy pictures taken inside and I swear the temp would drop 10-15 degrees when you went through the gate.

• I also get a little creeped out when the cat is sitting on the couch and his head shoots to something in the room (that I can't see), and he just stares... I shoo him away because it freaks me out!
  • Have any of you had dreams of loved ones that have passed?  Where they tell you things?

• image stephiehall:
    image bsn1752:

That is one of the coolest stories I have ever heard.

Anyone who has had a baby HAS to believe they can see things we can't.  I always thought so when Melodie was a baby--I wondered who the heck was talking to her.

I do believe in messages or leadings--but I believe they are from God.  I am with Tiffany on the psychic thing.  I also believe in evil spirits and this is because I believe I have actually come into contact with them on more than one occasion.  If you believe in good, you have to believe in the evil, I guess.

Has anyone ever read This Present Darkness?  That book changed my entire thinking on how I perceived the spiritual realm.

I LOVE that book, Stephie! I'm with you... it totally changed the way I viewed the parts of the world that I can't see. The Bible is really clear that there are forces at work around us!

imageimg
  • image Tiffany618:

You guys are giving me chills!    I don't have personal experience with kiddos but I know my dog definitely sees/senses things. 

I don't believe in karma or fortune telling.   I do however believe that any person can get a divine message or premonition... I don't think it takes a person of certain skill to receive that kind of message.

I do believe everyone has a "time".  I don't think it is a pre-determined clock ticking kind of thing...but a maze of choices (for lack of a better term) that lead you to different outcomes.

ETA:  Also, I know this is slightly outlandish and goes against most things I believe in....but I think its possible that our pets could be the souls of ones we've lost sent to protect and comfort us.

This would make me so happy!

• Another story to add to signs/messages from loved ones:

I have told you guys this before but when I was younger my dad used to do "concerts" for me. One song he played a lot was "Shine" by Collective Soul. When he died suddenly we had to plan a funeral and I really wanted that song played but was turned down by the funeral home as it was "secular." This was very upsetting to me and remains so. This year I got into the car to drive to work  on my Dad's birthday and the song that literally started as the radio came on was "Shine." Maybe it was a coincidence but it was enough for me to pull over and listen to the song and then send my grandmother a text to tell her about it.

TTC#1 since 1/2011

IUI#1 = BFN 7/2012

IUI#2 = BFN 8/2012

PAIF/SAIF Welcome
  • image bobbileighb:
    image Tiffany618:

You guys are giving me chills!    I don't have personal experience with kiddos but I know my dog definitely sees/senses things. 

This would make me so happy!

Haha, I choose to take advantage of the lack of information in the Bible of what happens to animals.

Mark FIRMLY believes that animals don't have souls.  I VERY FIRMLY disagree. :)

• image lesalyric:

Another story to add to signs/messages from loved ones:

I have told you guys this before but when I was younger my dad used to do "concerts" for me. One song he played a lot was "Shine" by Collective Soul. When he died suddenly we had to plan a funeral and I really wanted that song played but was turned down by the funeral home as it was "secular." This was very upsetting to me and remains so. This year I got into the car to drive to work  on my Dad's birthday and the song that literally started as the radio came on was "Shine." Maybe it was a coincidence but it was enough for me to pull over and listen to the song and then send my grandmother a text to tell her about it.

Oh.my.goodness!!  Something similar happened to me while I was planning the wedding!

I went to Becky Fowler's house to do my final fitting and pick my dress up.  While I was there, I got to thinking how sad I was that my Mom was missing all of this and how much she would have loved it.  I walked out with the dress, got in the car, and the radio started playing "Momma's Song" by Carrie Underwood.

I literally sat there and cried for 10 minutes.  I don't know if it was coincidence or what, but I like to think that it was a message from my Mom telling me that was "there".

• MrzHozMrzHoz member
    Third Anniversary

My father passed away in April 2007, and afterwards, I had many dreams about him.

I had a dream that we were in the hospital with him and he woke from his coma and was walking around, and we were all in shock. I kept asking him if he was really ok? and he kept telling me he was totally fine, and we didn't need to worry about him. He kept saying he was going to be alright, and then he excused himself to go the bathroom and I could see his feet under the door after he closed it, and the a bright light lit up the bathroom, and his feet disappeared and he was gone.

I had a dream that he was a beautiful garden ( what I believe to be heaven) walking around and having a good time.

On another occassion,( this is a not a dream, it actually happened the week after he passed), we were sitting in my parent's house with my mom where she has a play room for my nieces full of toys. We started hearing sizzling sounds over and over again and then after a couple of minutes, we all heard "see you real soon" and the sizzling sounds stopped. These sounds were coming from a toy grill that my niece had. It would make sizzling sounds when you pressed something on the grill and had some other buttons that would say little sayings like "see you real soon". Again someone would have to be in there pushing on the grill or the button to hear these noises, but we were all in the living room. The story behind it was that my dad LOVED to grill. He had built his own brick barbecue in the backyard and he was out there year around grilling ( day, night, rain, snow, heat, nothing bothered him, he had a whole system setup).  When we heard these noises from the toy room we all got a little scared and panicked ( I know it's terrible), and we left the house and went to my sister's house, who lives nearby. On the way there, my sister told us as we were leaving my dad's hospital room after he passed, she turned back to him and silently said to him "Bye dad, we love you, please get the grill ready for us in heaven".

• Kathy! I love stories like those!  That's what makes me think that our loved ones can still communicate with us.
  • msealemseale member
    Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Love Its Name Dropper
    image bsn1752:

Have any of you had dreams of loved ones that have passed?  Where they tell you things?

2 days after my dad passed away, I had a dream that the phone was ringing and he was on the other end.  He was just calling to say hi.  That was 7 years ago, and I still think that it was him telling me that he will always be there if I need to talk.

Brianna - that story about Cadence and your mom gave me chills too!

I don't agree that you have an exact time to live, but I feel we were all put on Earth to accomplish something.  Once that is done, you are free to leave.  You may live one more day, and maybe 50 years.  But there is something everyone is destined to do that will make an impact first.

Our last sunset in Hawaii... Honeymoon 2010
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker

Michelle & Michael
    Married - August '10
    TTC - Since September 2011
    IUI - 10/29/2014, BFP! EDD: 7/22/2015
  • image mseale:
    image bsn1752:

Have any of you had dreams of loved ones that have passed?  Where they tell you things?

2 days after my dad passed away, I had a dream that the phone was ringing and he was on the other end.  He was just calling to say hi.  That was 7 years ago, and I still think that it was him telling me that he will always be there if I need to talk.

Brianna - that story about Cadence and your mom gave me chills too!

I don't agree that you have an exact time to live, but I feel we were all put on Earth to accomplish something.  Once that is done, you are free to leave.  You may live one more day, and maybe 50 years.  But there is something everyone is destined to do that will make an impact first.

My Mom said the same exact thing.  I love that idea... that we're all here on purpose.

• I totally believe our loved ones who have passed can communicate with us -- I have just heard too many stories not to believe it.

I have a pretty recent story from a good CW.  Her long-time boyfriend committed suicide recently.  Of course she has experienced all of the anger, grief, etc. that you would imagine.

She had a dream after he died that he was speeding home in the car and she was telling him to slow down.  When they got home he rushed around the house saying he needed a pen and paper.  She asked him what was wrong and why did he need that. 

He said, "I need to write down that I'm sorry."  I gasped and almost cried when she told me that story.

• I had forgotten this until just now, but when I was younger I thought I saw a ghost or a spirit or whatever. We were staying at my grandmother's house and I woke up in the middle of the night to see an old man in a suit (like Colonel Sander's-style) sitting in a rocking chair, watching me (not creepy, more like "watching over"). All my grandfathers were alive at the time, so I don't know who it might have been. I don't even know if I really saw it or if I dreamed it, but for a long time I believed it was a ghost.

Courts' family definitely feels the presence of his father (who died two years ago) from time to time. I don't remember all the stories, but Courts has had dreams from him a couple times, including one where Bill told Courts he didn't need those cigarettes anymore, and that really impacted his quitting. Then, at Christmas, about a month since Courts had had a cigarette, I walk into the room to find him with his sister and brother, and they're questioning him about smoking and smelling his hand to make sure he's telling the truth. They had all smelled cigarette smoke, distinctly and strongly, and they firmly believed that their dad was letting him know that he was with us.

Beyond spiritual things, I firmly believe that aliens exist. I don't think there's any way they cannot exist. And I don't think I've ever mentioned this, but Courts is a bigfoot researcher. He swears he's seen them out where his parents used to live. I've never seen one, but I have gone camping with the research group before, and the stories are pretty compelling, I have to say. I think it's really arrogant for humans to say that things like aliens and bigfoots can't exist.

• Oh and I have another one.  My BFF has a friend who recently lost her husband.  She went and stayed with her at the B&B that she owned with her husband.

My BFF slept in the woman's bed the first night because her friend said that bed was the most comfortable.  In the middle of the night, she said she heard the floor creak and woke up and had a sense of someone standing over her.  She even spoke aloud "Jim?" because she thought it might be him.  Then it vanished.  It was like, he was coming back to visit his wife and freaked out when it was my BFF in the bed instead.

• I totally agree with the idea of aliens. This universe is far too big for humans to be the only form of intelligent life.

As far as ghosts/spirits I fully believe. In the sorority house in college there was a ghost named Dee. It turns out she was a member of the sorority that used to live in the house before us. When she was alive she lived on the third floor. This is where it gets weird. A girl in my sorority found out that her father was going to propose to Dee but she died before he could and my sorority sister was actually living in the same room as Dee. It's too coincidental in my opinion. 

Also, my grandmother died when I was a sophomore in high school. She had gotten emphysema and  was in and out of the hospital. The last time she was in the hospital the doctors told us that it was time and so all my father's brothers and sisters came to town. We were in the room with my grandmother and our aunts and uncles had gotten hungry so they sent us kids to get some food. When we got back we passed out the food and started eating. No sooner had we sat down to eat my grandmother started taking her last breaths. Everyone thought that she had waited for the family to be together before she would go. Coming from an extremely religious family they opened the window when she was dying and I swear there was a breeze. I believe it was my grandmother's soul leaving.

• I believe in ghosts/lost souls whatever you want to call it, also. I believe that there is a time for us, but God takes us when he needs us more up there than what we are needed down here. We have already done everything here (our purpose) and now he needs us in Heaven.

When I was 5 years old my grandmother died. She was 85 years old and died in a nursing home. My parents thought I was too young to attend the funeral, so they took me to my other grandparents the day before to spend the night. I was never told the arrangements or any details of the funeral. A month or so after she passed away, I told my mom that she came to see me that night. My mom was just playing along with me and said oh okay well what did you two talk about. Well, she told me she loved me and missed me. I told her of our long conversation and that my grandmother was laying down in the bed next to me. I explained to my mom that I wasn't dreaming and described my grandmother to her. I told her the exact make-up she was wearing, described her dress, and how her hair was fixed...all exactly how she was buried.  

That story gives me chills every time I tell it and it happened to me. I totally believe that my Grandma came back to tell me bye because she never got to say it before she passed away.

Anniversary
  • I really love all of these stories.

I believe in aliens too. 

• I have chills from reading all your stories.  I'm also on the verge of tears for a couple of them (Brianna).

I believe in ghosts/spirits.  I believe dogs can see them.  I think Lola can.  Sometimes she hides underneath our chair and won't come out.  She'll poke her nose out, look above us and scurry back underneath the chair.  Also, one time while I was living in Dallas - before DH and I started dating - I got really sick.  I had strep throat - I've always had a hard time recovering from strep - so I was really, really sick.  I was laying on my couch, sleeping on and off - in and out of consciousness.  Well, I kept having dreams that my great grandmother was there with me (she passed away when I was a teenager).  It was so strange.  Then I woke up and looked over at Lola and she was hiding underneath the chair.

Also, when my great grandmother was really sick and very close to dying (she had stopped eating, drinking, etc.), I went to visit her.  It was just me and her in the room.  I was standing at the end of the bed.  She said, "Hand me my robe and I will follow you".  So, I said - Mamaw, which robe and where are we going?.  She said, "I wasn't talking to you Lacey, I was talking to Oma."  Oh.  So, I went out to the living room and sat next to my grandma.  Who's Oma?  My grandma said that was my Mamaw's aunt who had passed away a long time ago.  My great grandma passed away a few days after that.