Married Life

Cat people, do you have any idea what this spot/wound is?

The top red dot is the same spot where he had what we suspected was a cat bite.  It scabbed up a tiny bit, but healed fine and all of the hair was starting to grow back. last night, Oscar had this much larger bald spot and the two tiny little red dots.  I  had been outside with him earlier in the day and this wasn't there, it just showed up.

He also has a small bald spot on the under part of his neck (he's had that since he had the other bite wound).  I showed it to the vet, and he did a black light test to make sure it wasn't fungal, but nothing showed up, so he said it was probably just from the same fight that he got the other wound from.

Googling hasn't helped much.  I can't find any fleas on him.  The only other suggestion I found from google was that he could be scratching too much due to stress, but what would the two red pin pricks be? 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Cat people, do you have any idea what this spot/wound is?

• It looks like another bite to me.  The missing hair is a dead giveaway.

Cats are back of the neck biters.

Yeah that's right my name's Yauch!
  • looks like he's been in a fight to me.
    kiss it, nest.
  • I would guess cat fight bites.  This happened to my cat, and it quickly got worse...blood started oozing from those spots within a couple of days.  I took him to the vet who gave an antibiotic to prevent/stop any infection.

Apparently, my cat was almost to the point where they would need to surgically remove skin (gross).  It happened really quickly, and they told me cat bite saliva can be really nasty stuff.

• I am guessing scratching due to allergies. One of my cats claws at herself and gets bald patches in this exact spot when her ears are bothering her from allergies. Sometimes she gets raw patches too, but the sores could also be a result of the allergy. Is he on flea meds now? If he's been outside, he's probably been bitten by fleas, and he could be allergic to those. Feel around his neck and chin and see if you feel anymore sores or crusty spots.The fact that you found it under the neck too also makes me think flea allergies.
  • Particularly if the wounds are closed up and you're beyond the point of being able to clean it yourself, definitely take him to the vet. My cats have gotten a number of small bites/scratches that got infected fast. We now have a stock pile of extra antibiotics and oinments to try and treat any at home if we can
    image AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • For some reason I expected there to be a scab rather than these tiny dots if it was from a cat bite.

He just finished up antibiotics from the last wound he got... I guess I'll have to watch him closely to see if these get yucky.

P goes to see the allergist today at 3 to be tested for a cat allergy; if everything comes back okay, I'll bring Oscar in the house immediately so we don't have to worry about this anymore.  I'm not sure yet what I'll do if the test shows he is allergic. :/

• I accidentally dropped boiling water on my puppers when draining pasta. That's what it looked like.

Click me, click me!
  • Ugh, jenbabe I'm sorry this is turning out to be such a major pain in the ass when all you're trying to do is the right thing by this cat.

I really hope that the allergy test comes back negative for cat dander.

Yeah that's right my name's Yauch!
  • Tamb, he has some really tiny scabs I can feel down his neck more and on the sides of his neck, but they're not bald at all.

Nope, he's not currently on any flea meds.

• image laptopprancer:

Ugh, jenbabe I'm sorry this is turning out to be such a major pain in the ass when all you're trying to do is the right thing by this cat.

I really hope that the allergy test comes back negative for cat dander.

Other than the potential cat allergy with P, it hasn't been too horrible. I realize pets are often just a pain in the ass. I can deal with giving him antibiotics and whatever else he may need, but the cat allergy with P is something I don't feel like we can work around.  With the severity of his other allergies, I worry about asthma (which runs in my family), and I just don't feel like we could keep him if it turns out he's allergic. I'm really, really hoping it was a fluke thing, and that P was having a reaction to something else and Oscar just happened to be inside at the same time.

And thank you, I will update when we get back from the doc. *fingers crossed*

• image jenbabe3:

Tamb, he has some really tiny scabs I can feel down his neck more and on the sides of his neck, but they're not bald at all.

Nope, he's not currently on any flea meds.

Okay, then I definitely think that's what it is! I would start him on advantage or some other flea treatment (if you end up keeping him). If he's been living outside, he must have fleas, even if you haven't found any, and you don't want them in your house anyway.

We don't keep our cats on flea treatment all the time - just Bailey - so you might not need to continue with it after a couple of months if he's not going in and out.

• Not sure.  Could be an animal bite.  If you do have to rehome him, please try to get him to a rescue, or a no-kill shelter.  You probably already thought of that, but just in case.
  • image scottydont:
    Not sure.  Could be an animal bite.  If you do have to rehome him, please try to get him to a rescue, or a no-kill shelter.  You probably already thought of that, but just in case.

If P is allergic, I will do everything I can to find a home for him myself. I'll just have to keep him outside in the meantime.  If it's taking a while, then I'll definitely look into no-kill shelters. 

I have a friend on FB whose cat suddenly died last week; she found him in his litterbox with white foam coming out of his mouth. She posted the other day about looking for a new pet, and I begged her to give me til today to get P tested and find out whether there was an allergy or not, and if there was, she could take Oscar. I told her I'd give her the brand new bag of food, litter, the box, bed, and scratching post that haven't even been used yet.  She seemed interested, but she brought home a chocolate lab last night.  I'm happy for this dog because she's 8 years old and may not have been adopted otherwise given her age, but I had my hopes up that if P ended up being allergic, we'd already have a home lined up for Oscar. :(

• Could it be this?

http://www.ehow.com/about_5410631_wolf-worms-cats.html

A cat we had when I was a kid had one and I remember it had a hole on the underside of it's neck.  I'm not sure if that's what your cat has, but I guess it could be a possibility.  The one our cat had never had a scab as the hole is how the worm breathes.

Okay, now I'm thoroughly grossed out and itching!

• image ash-81:

Could it be this?

http://www.ehow.com/about_5410631_wolf-worms-cats.html

A cat we had when I was a kid had one and I remember it had a hole on the underside of it's neck.  I'm not sure if that's what your cat has, but I guess it could be a possibility.  The one our cat had never had a scab as the hole is how the worm breathes.

Okay, now I'm thoroughly grossed out and itching!

Ugh, that is disgusting.

My guess is that it's NOT that, mainly because what Oscar has going on doesn't sound the same, plus the vet examined the bald spots an sores and apparently didn't seem to think he had a worm living in his neck. *shudder*

• I'm sorry!  I had to broach the possibility since no one else did!

*STILL itching*

• Don't be sorry, I appreciate the suggestion! Even if it did make me squeamish.

And God bless anyone who does have a cat with... that.  The part about trying to remove the worm from the hole almost made me hurl.

• image Tambcat:

Okay, then I definitely think that's what it is! I would start him on advantage or some other flea treatment (if you end up keeping him). If he's been living outside, he must have fleas, even if you haven't found any, and you don't want them in your house anyway.

We don't keep our cats on flea treatment all the time - just Bailey - so you might not need to continue with it after a couple of months if he's not going in and out.

Hopefully that's what it is.  I'll call the vet and get some flea meds asap.

Thank you!

• I didn't read the whole thing- I just found the article for you.  So, I have no idea how to remove the worm and I'm thankful I didn't read that far. I hope that's not what it is, but I'd keep a close eye on it just in case.  Poor kitty!