GP Moms

Nickname Help

In DH's family the first born son is always named James and then they change the middle name. LO's middle name will be Eric, after my dad. My side of the family also uses James as a family name so both sides have a LOT of Jim/Jimmy/James/Little Jimmy/Jimbo/James (middle name)...

We don't want to call him by his middle name so we're considering using either Jack or Jake. WDGPMT? 

Thanks! 

[Poll]

Re: Nickname Help

• I voted SS because I just feel like those names sound so different from James... Just a personal preference! I have a friend with a boy named James and they call him jameser which is kinda cute, or maybe you could call him J (jay)? If you're set on one of the 2 above, my preference is Jack :)
  • I think if you want to call Him jack or Jake, you should name him Jack or Jake. Neither one is a nickname for James or Eric. IMHO, i Think you're setting him up for a lot of confusion. It would be like calling my daughter (Anna Renee) Allison. Name him something you want to call him, or give him two middle names.
    Dx: MFI, DOR, 9 Fibroids and homozygous MTHFR

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"Smudge's Story - How to Grow a Dandelion" will return soon!
    The Dandelion Archive
    "If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn."

We're Finally Three Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image GenRN45:
    I think if you want to callHim jack or Jake, you should name him Jack or Jake. Neither one is a nickname for James or Eric. IMHO, i Think you're setting him up for a lot of confusion. It would be like calling my daughter (Anna Renee) Allison. Name him something you want to call him, or give him two middle names.

I agree.  I think Jay is a good option though. 

• image NoleGirlKEF:

image GenRN45:
    I think if you want to callHim jack or Jake, you should name him Jack or Jake. Neither one is a nickname for James or Eric. IMHO, i Think you're setting him up for a lot of confusion. It would be like calling my daughter (Anna Renee) Allison. Name him something you want to call him, or give him two middle names.

This is what I was thinking. DH's reasoning was that it was the 'ja' sound from James and the 'kuh' sound from Eric... And that if Jack could be a nickname for John why couldnt it work for James. Lol Maybe we'll re visit using 'Jay' as a nickname. :)
  • image GenRN45:
    I think if you want to call Him jack or Jake, you should name him Jack or Jake. Neither one is a nickname for James or Eric. IMHO, i Think you're setting him up for a lot of confusion. It would be like calling my daughter (Anna Renee) Allison. Name him something you want to call him, or give him two middle names.
    This, in spades.

Name him what you want him to be called. If you don't want him to be called James, then break tradition and don't name him James. My son is named Carter, and that is what people call him. We didn't name him Carter so that everyone could call him Kurt.

Sorry, but I think that those "traditions" are stupid, especially when it's a name that you obviously don't like. Give your kid his own name and identity.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image BulldogMomma:
    image NoleGirlKEF:

image GenRN45:

This is what I was thinking. DH's reasoning was that it was the 'ja' sound from James and the 'kuh' sound from Eric... And that if Jack could be a nickname for John why couldnt it work for James. Lol Maybe we'll re visit using 'Jay' as a nickname. :)
    Huh? Jack is not a nickname for John. Where on earth do you live where everyone is named one thing but is called something sort of similar that begins with the same letter?
  • It's actually pretty common all throughout the US. I was raised as a navy brat and lived all over and saw it in every state I lived in. I believe it started with JFK?
  • It's not that I don't like the name James, I just think it'll be confusing at family functions if we try calling him James or Jimmy. I'm not willing to change the name, I've never had a preference on what I was going to call my 'future son' but DH has always wanted a son to take on his name. I call my DH James but everyone in his family calls him Jimmy and his dad is Jim.
  • image Cassalo:
    I voted SS because I just feel like those names sound so different from James... Just a personal preference! I have a friend with a boy named James and they call him jameser which is kinda cute, or maybe you could call him J (jay)? If you're set on one of the 2 above, my preference is Jack :)
    All of this, minus the friend with a boy named James.
    TTC since Sept. 2011
    DX: MFI
    IUI#1 8/2012: BFN
    IUI#2 9/2012: BFN
    IUI#3 10/2012: BFN
    IVF#1 (2 embryos transferred) 1/2013: BFN
    IVF#2 (2 embryos transferred) 5/2013: BFP!!!  EDD 1/24/14
    Beta 1 (5/17) - 66.8 Beta 2 (5/21) - 341 Beta 3 (5/27) - 2771
    1st u/s 6/7 - measuring right on track at 7 weeks with 144 bpm!
    1/20/14 - Our sweet girl joined our family!
    Lilypie - (AERO)

My Local Nestie Besties: JenniferLuvsCandy, MABride0808, thecuddleeffect, MrsHo1030
  • image BulldogMomma:
    It's not that I don't like the name James, I just think it'll be confusing at family functions if we try calling him James or Jimmy.
    But it will be less confusing to call him a different name entirely? I'm not trying to argue, I promise - it's just that I really don't understand naming your kid the same thing that everyone in the family is named, and then having to come up with a unique nickname because you don't want 10 people turning around whenever you call to him. If you want him to have his own name, let James be his middle name and give him his own first name.

This is going to be an issue for him into adulthood, with not always knowing what name to put on forms and such. If he puts his nickname on a resume, credit checks won't come back and he'll look like a fraud. If he puts his name, it will be a name that no one calls him and he'll have to explain to everyone that he goes by a different name.

• Could you call him Jamie?  I didn't see you list that as one of the nickname choices available, and it was the most obvious to me. Big Smile

I have a friend whose first name is James but he has gone by Jamie all his life.

Also, I have heard the nickname Jack for John (my uncle and cousin are both John and cousin named his son John but he goes by Jack), so I think it is a commonly accepted nickname but I do agree with the other ladies that I think it would be more confusing to name him one thing, but call him something else entirely unrelated to his real name.

Good luck!

"We prayed for this child, and the Lord has given him to us." 1 Samuel 1:27

Diagnosed with PCOS February 2010/BFP November 2010!

• I think Jamie or Jay would work best.

• image Maybride2:
    Huh? Jack is not a nickname for John. Where on earth do you live where everyone is named one thing but is called something sort of similar that begins with the same letter?

Jack is absolutely a nickname for John.  JFK went by Jack.

"John is a name with history stretching back far into Biblical times. However, during medieval times, the name John was altered slightly in the Germanic tongues to Jankin or Jackin. Out of that, we get the nickname Jack."

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/513387/nicknames_how_john_became_jack_and.html?cat=37

4/6/11 (34w 2d) -- Parker born via emergency c-section due to pre-e and HELLP

4/22/11 -- Parker went home at 5lbs 4oz

imageimage

• image abegailanne:

Could you call him Jamie?  I didn't see you list that as one of the nickname choices available, and it was the most obvious to me. Big Smile

I have a friend whose first name is James but he has gone by Jamie all his life.

Also, I have heard the nickname Jack for John (my uncle and cousin are both John and cousin named his son John but he goes by Jack), so I think it is a commonly accepted nickname but I do agree with the other ladies that I think it would be more confusing to name him one thing, but call him something else entirely unrelated to his real name.

Good luck!

How did I not think of Jamie?! Pregnancy brain strikes again lol Thanks everyone for your input! :)
  • There are other odd nicknames out there that don't make sense either, but are common...Richard/D!ck, Henry/Hank...

4/6/11 (34w 2d) -- Parker born via emergency c-section due to pre-e and HELLP

4/22/11 -- Parker went home at 5lbs 4oz

imageimage

• image BulldogMomma:
    It's not that I don't like the name James, I just think it'll be confusing at family functions if we try calling him James or Jimmy. I'm not willing to change the name, I've never had a preference on what I was going to call my 'future son' but DH has always wanted a son to take on his name. I call my DH James but everyone in his family calls him Jimmy and his dad is Jim.
    I totally understand where you are coming from . DH is Dewey the III and if we have a boy in the future we will have Dewey the IV. But I have no idea What I will call them by! Dewey already sounds like a nickname. Lol
  • I've known lots of Johns in my life, and have never heard any of them go by a nickname other than Johnny. Guess I only ever heard JFK referred to as John-John. Still think it's dumb.
  • And Jack IS a nickname for John..... Although it makes no sense! Haha
  • I like Jamie or J {Jay} - I get the "tradition" but do agree that I never understood why people go by things that make no sence as to their real names.

My gpa is a Richard/D!ck, I know a John/Jack and even better, my dad has a guy who works for him that goes by Tom - his real name is John Tongue Tied. Identity crisis much? I had to clarify with him when I started doing payroll cause I had no idea who John was and Tom hadn't turned in his timecard. Same person LOL.

formerly known as katrinalee48
  • I voted for Jack, but thought I'd give another suggestion. I've met someone before named Jeric, not sure if it is a real name but there ya go.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image alwaysfare:
    I voted for Jack, but thought I'd give another suggestion. I've met someone before named Jeric, not sure if it is a real name but there ya go.
    Hmm... Have to think about that one. Thanks!
  • image Maybride2:
    image GenRN45:
    I think if you want to call Him jack or Jake, you should name him Jack or Jake. Neither one is a nickname for James or Eric. IMHO, i Think you're setting him up for a lot of confusion. It would be like calling my daughter (Anna Renee) Allison. Name him something you want to call him, or give him two middle names.
    This, in spades.

Name him what you want him to be called. If you don't want him to be called James, then break tradition and don't name him James. My son is named Carter, and that is what people call him. We didn't name him Carter so that everyone could call him Kurt.

Sorry, but I think that those "traditions" are stupid, especially when it's a name that you obviously don't like. Give your kid his own name and identity.

This.  However, this is a strong personal preference.  I'm Nicole--my parents never allowed me to be called Nikki because my name IS Nicole.  I have now come to hate Nikki.  Same with my siblings--Jason was Jason and Kristen was Kristen, no questions asked.  We will name our child what we will call them. 

However, I do get the tradition thing.  Again just my personal preference.  Out of your choices I like Jack, but I also like Jamie or Jeric.  Is anyone just called James right now?

Anniversary
    Nicole and Sam 10/3/09
    Birthday
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image pourroni:
    image Maybride2:
    image GenRN45:
    This, in spades.

This.  However, this is a strong personal preference.  I'm Nicole--my parents never allowed me to be called Nikki because my name IS Nicole.  I have now come to hate Nikki.  Same with my siblings--Jason was Jason and Kristen was Kristen, no questions asked.  We will name our child what we will call them. 

However, I do get the tradition thing.  Again just my personal preference.  Out of your choices I like Jack, but I also like Jamie or Jeric.  Is anyone just called James right now?

Unfortunately we also have quite a few that go by James. After talking with DH yesterday we're 99% sure we're going to go with 'Jay'. :) 

• I don't like Jack or Jake for James because, well, those are different names. People are going to think he is a Jackson or Jacob. What about Jamie?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers